Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Logos logos everywhere... (Page 15)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Logos logos everywhere...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the Sheliak have a symbol?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The symbol for mars is the "male" symbol... you've got the zodiac symbol for Aires the Ram!?!
The male symbol is in there, allbeit a little more compacted and stylised.

I'm shocked that you don't know the connection between Mars and Aries. What it the world coming to?

quote:
What about The Venus station, Jupiter Station and I'm sure there is something around Saturn... the evac station on Mimas?

Did the Sheliak have a symbol?

There's just no satisfying some people.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Connection between Aries and Mars? Aries was a Greek mythological ram after which the constellation was named. You were thinking of Ares, the Greek god of war, called Mars by the Romans.

According to "In the Cards" (DS9), "the flag of the first Martian colonies was inspired by a velvet painting of an ancient bullfighter".

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops. Oh well, simple mistake.

I am aware of the "in the cards" reference but I've never been able to get a good look at the painting so I had to settle for something a little simpler.

Still, bull fighting, ram there's still a connection there. [Wink]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I've refined the TOS ship patches somewhat, I think they suit the era a little better now.
 -
I've been trying to give the ship insignias the texture, but it's a little difficult without some good reference material.

--------------------

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rev, the ship patches look totally awesome. The registries are what need to be fixed:

U.S.S. Bonaventure 10283NCC
U.S.S. Constellation NCC-1017

All the others are correct.

Once again, great job.

Cheers,

Sarvek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's a revisionist. He knows those are the generally accepted canonical numbers (even though the Bonaventure itself isn't canonical)

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just going by what is seen on screen. If it is on screen then it is true, canonical is another story. You should go to :

http://www.startrekanimated.com/tas_tt_bonaventure_masao.jpg

and take it up with Masao and Kail.

Cheers,

Sarvek

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am just going by what is seen on screen. If it is on screen then it is true, canonical is another story.
You have a lot to learn about metaphysics, Sarvek. [Razz]

Kris: The Constellation's real registry number is NCC-1710. (source) I helped write that list. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bonaventure's registry is right on screen: http://www.startrekanimated.com/tas_tt_04.jpg
The registry is completely nonsensical; if I ever did a museum article on Bonaventure, I'd probably change it.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sarvek
Member # 910

MinutiaeMan, I have seen the list but it does not match with what was seen on screen in TOS episode "The Doomsday Machine". Your list is probably what should have been put on the Constellation. Has this been confirmed with the art team at Paramount??

Sarvek

P.S. Check out the model of the Enterprise that is put out by Polar Lights. It has the backing of Mike Okuda, Doug Drexler, John Eaves and all the people at Paramount Pictures for the assistance in the model. It states the following registries:

USS Constellation NCC-1017
USS Exeter NCC-1672
USS Defiant NCC-1764

I do not have a problem with your registries. You have a problem with Paramount Pictures and their team.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarvek -- you apparently failed to understand my comment about metaphysics. I was talking about the philosophy of what is true and what isn't.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Connection between Aries and Mars? Aries was a Greek mythological ram after which the constellation was named. You were thinking of Ares, the Greek god of war, called Mars by the Romans.

Thankyou.
Sarvek
Member # 910

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Sarvek -- you apparently failed to understand my comment about metaphysics. I was talking about the philosophy of what is true and what isn't.

All this work that is done is done by the fans of Star Trek and it is not canon. We all design ships, logos, and shuttles as well as other vehicles that our our creation. That is what Reverend has done and I completely admire his work. He gives me inspiration to design ships and other things that are not canon. What I have learned is that what Paramount says goes and is canon. I have several reference books dealing with Star Trek. These books convey and confirm what the model kits says about the registries. What is the real registry then, the canon one??

Cheers,

Sarvek [Wink]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The canon registries are as you stated, however in this case they are irrelevant. Most people here know the canon numbers but Reverand and others are trying to produce a slightly more rational system. This has no canonical basis but frankly we don't care. [Smile]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  32  33  34   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps