Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Sahara-class destroyer tender (Page 3)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Sahara-class destroyer tender
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So, is everything in FJ's TEch manual considered canon??
Not everything but a couple of things from the TM are canon. FJ's ship classes can be seen in TWOK and TSFS on computer displays, four of his ships were mentioned in TMP, and some of his planetary logos were used in the TWOK-travel pod.
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the FJ tech manual illustration appear in TWOK, so I would say that at least part of manual is canon [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets not get into a cannon discussion on single nacelled ships or FJ's manual.

Anyway, just to put a more detailed face on the discussions, here is what the layout might be with more heavily shielded coils and just for fun I filled in the cargo bays too.
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, you made the endcap of the nacelle look like the ramscoop of the refit Ambassador class nacelle.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's revised schematic incorporating the various suggestions.
 -
Since this is a tender, I'm thinking of some of the stuff it might carry. For example, a emergency spare mini-nacelle for getting a damaged destroyer back to a starbase and a space deflector dish.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao as always impressive! Rev's schematics are wonderful. It almost looks submarine-like! Have you considered a bussard collector mounted on the engineering pod, drawing from either side of the fin? That would allow the tender to cruise near gas giants to fill up it's tanks to refuel destroyers on patrol.

As far as the centreline nacelle, I designed a freighter along your SFM designs and used the single centreline nacelle as well....

My reasoning: The first warp experiments and warp ships would use ONE nacelle as a starting point. It simplfies matters enormously. You don't have to split the runoff of the warp reactor....no pilons needed, just a radiation splash guard at the rear of the ship....the whole nacelle/warp engine assembly can safely be disposed of out the rear of the ship in case of an overload. While two nacelles would allow greater control and higher warp speeds, a single nacelle would be simpler and easier to control for freighters, colony ships or even fleet tenders. Might be slower, but probably cheaper as well.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've been thinking about some type of bussard, but I lke the relatively clean lines of the ships as they are. If gas is only collected in emergencies, perhaps a ship could have a bussard that flips out from stowed position.

--------------------

Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps side vents with magnetic guide guides
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Here's a variant with 2 nacelles for you bussard lovers. Don't let the colors throw you. I was just curious how they'd look.
 -

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it better without them, at least not how they're set up now. It might work better if they were on angled pilons rather than sticking right out of the ship.

What about using the Destroyer nacelles?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest angling the pylons downwards, maybe even shortening (?) and/or widening them, bringing them in closer to the hull.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I was quite happy with the inline nacelle and don't really think that ramscoops are a necessity.
However if you feel compeled to include them then I suggest one of two possible solutions.
The first one being a set of blister like structures, flanking the main hull. The drawback here is that you loose some of the internal cargo space, but on the upside it provides a direct feed into the secondary fuel tanks.
The second option is slightly less conventional and involves having the ramscoops completly internal, behind a grill, just below the forward loading deck. The upside to this is that it's pretty low key, maintains the slim hull lines and again is pretty close to the tanks but as I said it isn't a conventional design and people will bitch about it not looking very Starfleet (boo hoo.)

To put pictures to words, here's a quick mock up with both options installed.
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man... I really liked the original, but...

the new version is AWESOME!

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or you could 'blister out' two warp nacelles fairly close to each other down where you put the grated bussard port.. they would be close to each other, but they would be under the ship fairly analogously to where your original inboard nacelle was, without disrupting the upper sections as designed.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about a bussard in the nose?
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps