Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Heroes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Heroes
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's something about Nathan Petrelli's voice, smacky lips perhaps, that makes my spine want to jump out of me and head for the sunset.

For christmas, I'd like to give you all the "Requiem for a Dream"-audiobook, narrated by Alec Bladwin, Ron Silver and Nathan Petrelli (they take turns). They slowly eat pickled eggs while reading for you, leaning real close to the shotgun microphone (Ron Silver's nosehairs whistle just slightly).

Your head-phones will be taped on and you'll be provided with christmas straitjackets (green, with red ballgags). I then play it for you until you love me.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you had to do was mention Alec Baldwin. That's enough for me to start screaming.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? I like Alec Baldwin.

"Never be anything but a pig farmer's son, boy, 'cause I smell fried balogney awl ova yeeeeew."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Alec Baldwin roles, in no particular order:

• Adam Maitland, Beetlejuice
  • Jack Ryan, The Hunt For Red October
  • Dr. Jed Hill, Malice
  • Blake, Glengarry Glen Ross
  • Justice Robert Jackson, Nuremberg
  • Shelly Kaplow, The Cooler

I also have to give the man credit for his stint as Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station (my mind always added this sequence: "Hey. Train. Wheah the fuck you think you're haulin' to, huh? Wheah the FUCK!!...are you PUFFIN' to in SUUUUUUCH a great RUSH?"), his Jimmy Doolittle in Pearl Harbor (the only saving grace of that shit), his runs as Leonardo Leonardo in the Clerks cartoon (again, the only good thing) & Future Timmy on Fairly Oddparents, & of course, the narrator in The Royal Tenenbaums. I also sympathize with him over his role in The Shadow. Great choice, shitty direction & execution.

--------------------
    "The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

• HerbShrump
    Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aban Rune:

I thought Claire's dad was Syler at first, but it's pretty clear he isn't. In fact, I think he'll turn out to be some kind of Professor X type that everyone will have to learn to trust in season 2.

More like a Magneto/Grey King leader. He seems a bit too amoral/evil to be another Xavier. But I'm thinking you're right.

I like the idea about the cop, but I'm not so sure. After all, they had an encounter with Syler recently. I think the cop will come back into play as they get closer to saving the cheerleader.

I was not expecting the double-cross with Eden McCain, but should have expected there would be another connection back to Claire's dad.

Mark Nguyen
    I'm a daddy now!
    Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I saw that one coming from a long ways back. She was far too chipper and understanding of the situation to have been an innocent passerby in the hallway.

I pray to the gods that Heroes will never have tights or names for the gang. One of the few things that the "Mutant X" TV series got right was that none of the characters had superhero names or costumes. They all dressed extremely well, but no tights or capes.

Mark

--------------------
    "This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
    The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
    I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
    Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    That's one of the things that wound me up about the X-Men films, actually - that everyone seemed to have a cool name. For example, Kurt whatsisface, he introduced himself and then added his super-name, Nightcrawler. Now, within the film's reality at least he's been a near-recluse, hiding away from the world, so how come he decided to have a cool name, even if it was just something that other, normal, people called him?

Xavier: "Welcome to the Institute, young Billy. Here you will find a tolerant and welcoming environment among people similar to you. By the way, you have to have a super-name, what would you like to be called?"
    Billy: "Uh, gee, how about Ultra-Megatron-Sex-God?"
    Xavier: ". . . No."

--------------------
    Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
    Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I am sorry, there was a mistake in my post before. In addition to Alec Baldwin, Ron Silver and Petrelli, the audiobook will also be spoken by Adam West, most notably in the chapter "Supercillious Civil Servants Suffer Sadly".
    Have you had enough yet?

(Aban/Shik, since you don't catch my drift of high-treble, close-mic, wet-lips speaking voices, you obviously haven't watched Salad Fingers)

I can't believe no one has mentioned the fact that "Heroes" is essentially any scrawny kid's childhood fantasy come true, about losers that suddenly are called upon to save the world and wear swords, fly faster than sound, have superstrength and are unbreakable.
    The whole premise is one big crowd-pleaser, which is what makes it work.

Aban Rune
    Former ascended being
    Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I doubt we'll ever see spandex or capes. The one glimpse we saw of future-Hiro in full-on hero role, he seemed to be wearing fairly normal clothes. More Matrix-style than comic-book style.

Oh... and in addition to my general liking of Alec Baldwin, I also liked The Shadow. It's not Lord of the Rings good or anything... but I've seen it several times and still like it well enough.

--------------------
    "Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
    The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Peregrinus
    Curmudgeon-at-Large
    Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I'm still a little honked-off at The Shadow. Most of the time I was watching it, I was saying to myself "This should have been Batman..."

As for the code-name thing. I only had a problem with some of them in the X-Men movie. Magneto's Brotherhood had rejected human society and abandoned their original given names, too. Made sense to me. I can see it as something of a game amongst the Institute kids. Some of them are even punning references to their given names and powers, like Shadowcat and Jubilee. Iceman and Pyro are appropriate. I can see them calling Scott "Cyclops" and it sticking. Notice Jean didn't have a code-name. Kurt was harking back to the only time in his life when he was happy -- when he was a star in the Munich Circus. And Wolverine has had that code-name for decades, a holdover from his Black Ops days.

About the only ones that bugged me were Rogue and Storm. Marie should have stuck with that until someone at the Institute suggested "Rogue". And Ororo would have, I think, refused all attempts to give her a code-name. But that's the least of my problems with that character as captured by the movie.

As far as Heroes, I can see Dork-Hiro suggesting it, and the rest looking at him strangely. And Claire saying "If you call me 'Cheerleader' to my face, Ill kick your ass." Hiro's the only one I can see agonsing over it, and even then, I expect he'll grow out of it by the time he becomes Future-Hiro.

--Jonah

--------------------
    "That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Peregrinus
    Curmudgeon-at-Large
    Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    The fucked-up-ness has ratcheted up a couple more notches.I am staunchly opposed to cute girls getting killed, so I hope Hiro succeeds. Everything else is still spinning. Cop-Dude deserves a break -- and not with his wife, Ted the Nuclear Man needs Prozac, Mohander needs to get the hell over himself and eliminate the angst in that direction, and what the hell's happening with Peter and Nikki and all the folks we DIDN'T see this week? *grumble*

I tell you, if I survive this first season with my sanity intact, the DVD box set is SO bought...

--Jonah

--------------------
    "That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Fabrux
    Epic Member
    Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Hiro went back just a bit too far, methinks. And what the hell is up with this football-kid? He never talks... what would his power be classified as? Also, it looks like Eden has the power of suggestion, as she whispered something in Issac's ear and he took the heroin again.

--------------------
    I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Peregrinus
    Curmudgeon-at-Large
    Member # 504

I think most women have that power with men...

--Jonah

--------------------

Nim
    Member # 205

Isaac gave Mr Bennett at the door a weird, stern look as he was strapping up. It may have been Eden, in Isaac's body, taking the drugs herself and chastising Bennett with the look.
    Had it been a spell she put him under, he likely wouldn't have cared about the man at the door.

Mark Nguyen
    I'm a daddy now!
    Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Have you guys checked out the Heroes website on NBC? They've pulled a sort of "Matrix" merchandising scheme with this property, offering story stuff on several different media. Lots of cool stuff there, including short "graphic novels" for some of the missing events!

Mark

--------------------
    "This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
    The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps