Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my stars and garters!
Where should I begin?

Pyro was good (looked like Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka's baby brother), Iceman looked a bit dorky but respect goes to his powers!
Cute cameos with little Siryn and Kitty Pryde. Colossus owned, no russian accent but heavy nonetheless.

The FX-team all worked wonders on Pyro, Iceman, Magneto and Nightcrawler.

Nightcrawler was played well, he took the brunt of the "Comedy Sidekick"-part but I think his character survived it.
He's a charmer, that Alan Cumming is.

Fun Coincedence: Loved Kelly Hu as (Lady) Deathstrike. Then I came home, switched on the TV and "Martial Law" was running.
Well if it isn't the same cute chinese girl doing high kicks and talking sass.
She really could've done with more lines here, Darth Maul had more lines, at that.
In all other regards she's the classic "OddJob"-lackey. Silent, unquestioning tool of destruction, sent out to do its master's bidding.
And prettier than Lucy Liu, to boot!

For all of you who have feared Logan to've been domesticated or MacGyvered, prepare to be surprised.
My popcorn-hand stopped dead at times, Ich schei�e you nicht.

As for acting, even the most nonchalant viewer can see that Stewart and McKellen is in another league entirely.
Such grace, such elegance, esp McKellen. Respect! *does that thing with the fingers*

Biggest disappointment: Scott "Cyclops" Summers. His powers looked better than last time but the Drake family cat had better acting.
I even laughed uncomfortably at one point, but I won't tell you which.
I know $$$-signs won't be heeded by anyone but the strongest of wills and some spoilers just aren't meant to be released.

If I have any gripes (apart from Cyclops' not being replaced by clay brick) it would be with certain decisions to change facts and plot threads inherent in the Marvel world,
but the more I think about it the more I understand how they had to make these concessions and modify certain things in order for it to flow smoother.

For instance, Lady Deathstrike never was part of the Weapon X-program, she has her own agenda. But she fits in very well here, so I'll let it go, even though they gave her adamantium and healing factor suddenly.
Rogue is more powerful than in these movies, but if we go by the logic that she's young and hasn't assimilated that many powers yet, it fits. Could be spunkier, tho.

AND WHERE IS MY DANGER ROOM???
Ah well, maybe in X3...

This is a "to be seen in cinemas"-movie definitely, that goes out to all of you downloading, Div-X burning spoilsports.

I'll say it again, "Oh my stars and garters!". ; ;

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
>SNIKT!<
I'll say it again, "Oh my stars and garters!". ; ;

Well, if that isn't some sort of subtle hint, I don't know what is.... [Wink]

Been looking forward to this one. Hope to see it this weekend, tho won't hold my breath.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops - I ALSO started and X2 thread - sorry! That one had no spoilers.

This one has spoiler markings - so where should I begin... maybe with some EXTRA spoiler space:

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e

OK that should do it.

1. I loved it to bits.
2. I loved it to bits.

Nightcrawler RULES!! BAMPH!

He stole the movie for me.

It's a pity about Death-strike - if she wasn't controlled by Stryker - (at one time she was about to break through) then she could have been an ally.

Anyone notice Archangel's wing on one of the X-rays in the adamantium room?

Wolvie had real pity for Deathstrike after she died.

GAWD people who haven't seen it - PLEASE DON'T READ THIS!!

Bobby was fine - he didn't look dorky - he also was a parallel to John. One clean cut with the girl, the other sullen and begrudging.

Nightcrawler was just SO cool.

I've never read the comics - so I knew nothing about his character. But I loved his very spiritual side.

What can I say about Wolvie. OMG forkin' brilliant. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (slice, stab) flex muscle... OK let's go.

Colossus - look I overheard some geeky people in the next row when the credits were rolling "ohhh that WAS Colossus - but he wasn't Russian". I mean he said like ONE LINE - he had a very deep voice - you couldn't pick an accent up from that... what was he supposed to be wearing one of those hats!?!

Psyrin! GREAT!

Wish there was more Kitty Pride and not much Jubilee.

What was the name/identity of the kid flicking the channels with his mind?

Was Jason Stryker a character in the comics?

So many mutants!!

I have to go - but just quickly - such an awesome movie.

Storm was given more to do - of course after Halle's Academy Award - but it wasn't blatant - it was more in line with what (I have seen of Storm/read) that she was supposed to be like... one of the leaders.)

Anyone notice Beast on the TV!?!

Everyone in the audience ooed at that! [Smile]

And imdb says Gambit makes an appearance... BUT WHERE!?!

Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.

Did anyone notice the editor also was the composer of the score!?! I didn't mind Michael Kamen's score for X1 - so why didn't they get him back?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gambit didn't make an appearance, but his name (Remy LeBeau) and Multiple Man's (Jamie Maddox), among many others,
can be sighted in a list when Mystique is flicking through all the secret files on Stryker's (Deathstrike's) computer.

Absolutely a screengrab/dissect moment for us enthusiasts, for when the DVD comes out.
Kind of like when the Trekkers here get a Star Trek shiplist screengrab from a new movie. :-)

I don't know who the little guy with glasses was but the kid with the fork tongue in the museum was Artie, as in Artie and Leech.
Maybe the kid with glasses was Leech, then.
Artie looked very human in the movie, but if they'd been more faithful to the comics he (and Leech) would've been Gollum/Jar-Jar stereotypes, so I'm content.

About the thread(s), I sat writing this for about one hour, so I didn't notice another appearing at the time.
Kind of fun that we saw it at the same time (well, practically), the movie world is more synchronized now! [Smile]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I can't wait to see this movie then.

But I hear the backstage hillarity was as much fun as the film itself. Too bad most of it won't be in the DVD.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's a great cast...

Stewart, Sir Ian, Hugh, Halle, The luscious Famke (I wonder if Patrick Stewart remembered her from TNG?) Anna Paquin etc.

So if Remy and - who's this other guy? Multiple Man? What - he has multiple orgasms!?! [Smile] were on the security guard list - then they ARE security guards as part of the story? AND why would they be listed in the credits!!?!! Does that mean some of the guards we saw were mutants!?!

So deathstrike wasn't originally part of Stryker's adamantium project? I thought Sabretooth had adamantium claws - was he? I didn't see any claws up on the x-rays on the wall...

As I said Archangel's wing was scene - was that supposed to be laced with adamantium too?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Archangel originally had organic feather-wings, but got augmented and perverted by Apocalypse, got steel wings and blue skin. Whole 'nother pickle.

Lady Deathstrike is a japanese assassin, she doesn't have adamantium nails, her whole hands grow to giant birdclaws, she's a cyborg. Has been battling Logan since the mid/early 80's.

Gambit WAS NOT the fat security guard who got picked up by Mystique, that guy was human. He didn't sound cajun either.

Sabretooth traditionally don't have adamantium claws (not in X1 either), just a healing factor, bone talons and a psychopathic killer mind.
There have been some instances in the comic books where he has gotten adamantium skeleton (he has it now, I believe) but that's neither here nor there moviewise.

Multiple Man can separate into several clones of himself, like an amoeba (but he looks human all the time).
I've seen at least 20 at a time. He is witty too.

Oh, there was a folder on Stryker's comp that said "Omega Red" too. Russian merc, has paired up with Deathstrike on occasion, both hate Logan.
IIRC he can release gas toxins from glands or pods on his torso and manipulate, stun or kill people with it. And he has adamantium coils that shoot out through his palms, kind of like strangling whips.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Archangel originally had organic feather-wings, but got augmented and perverted by Apocalypse, got steel wings and blue skin. Whole 'nother pickle.

Easily incorporated into the whole Adamantium thing.

Lady Deathstrike is a japanese assassin, she doesn't have adamantium nails, her whole hands grow to giant birdclaws, she's a cyborg. Has been battling Logan since the mid/early 80's.

well the plot with the adamantium/connections to Wolverine/Strykers sounds better than her being a cyborg...

I can just see Prof X... "This far No FURTHER!" [Wink]

Pity she couldn't have been knocked out or something and then awoken from her Stryker-induced hallucinations and then fought with the X-men or against - what ever float's ya boat.

Gambit WAS NOT the fat security guard who got picked up by Mystique, that guy was human. He didn't sound cajun either.

And I'll be as equally as SURLY, Nim - DID I SAY IT WAS THE FAT GUY - THERE WERE OTHER SECURITY GUARDS THERE ya-KNOW

Sabretooth traditionally don't have adamantium claws (not in X1 either)

According to the site or some official piece of merchandise - they were adamantium claws - for X-1

, just a healing factor, bone talons and a psychopathic killer mind.
There have been some instances in the comic books where he has gotten adamantium skeleton (he has it now, I believe) but that's neither here nor there moviewise.

Multiple Man can separate into several clones of himself, like an amoeba (but he looks human all the time).
I've seen at least 20 at a time. He is witty too.

So why would he be a security guard unless he was trying out for "The Matrix"!?!

Oh, there was a folder on Stryker's comp that said "Omega Red" too. Russian merc, has paired up with Deathstrike on occasion, both hate Logan.
IIRC he can release gas toxins from glands or pods on his torso and manipulate, stun or kill people with it. And he has adamantium coils that shoot out through his palms, kind of like strangling whips.

Why do all these people hate Logan? - is it something he just can't remember? Or did he foil some of their bids to "take-over the world"?

BIG SPOILER AHEAD

BIG SPOILER

I am WARNING YOU

REALLY

DON'T LOOK if you haven't seen the movie

I MEANT IT!

Did you notice the Phoenix moving across the water at Alkali lake at the end. And was that Jean contacting Xavier when he went all distant when the kids came in?

Oh and what about when Jean used Xavier to talk to Scott - sad moment but - for a moment there (and I did laugh - which soughta spoilt the moment for me!) It looked as if Xavier(Jean Controlled)/Scott were going to Kiss! LOL! See if you can spot it too!

Nightcrawler was the best though - loved his little interaction with Mystique! [Big Grin]

Andrew

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:About the thread(s), I sat writing this for about one hour, so I didn't notice another appearing at the time.
Kind of fun that we saw it at the same time (well, practically), the movie world is more synchronized now! [Smile] [/QB]

Actually I mentioned in my thread - Australia actually saw it a day or so BEFORE the US! That is a rare event for us - and I'm so glad it happened. I hate seeing all the fekking movies weeks or months after their US/UK release dates. I mean why do they do that - it's not as if they have to dub the movie into another language or anything.

So we got it on Wednesday the 1st - the US gets their movies on the Friday don't they? We usually get new-releases on the Thursday but X-men 2 was released on the Wednesday!!

Maybe it has something to do with the public holiday next Monday?

We got First Contact a day before the rest of the world - can't think of many other US movies that we got before the US/UK.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

AndrewR: "Why do all these people hate Logan? - is it something he just can't remember? Or did he foil some of their bids to "take-over the world"?"

He's a good guy. They're bad guys. They carry grudges. Also, Deathstrike has that extra japanese "honor" thing which forces her to attack Logan whenever she sees him. :-)

"And I'll be as equally as SURLY, Nim - DID I SAY IT WAS THE FAT GUY - THERE WERE OTHER SECURITY GUARDS THERE ya-KNOW

Haha, I wasn't being surly, what is this?
You misunderstood, I adressed it because I've heard it before. I said "fat guard" because some other reviewers have prematurely claimed LeBeau was that man.

They have plans (or wishes) to incorporate Gambit later in the movies so I don't think they would have him work as a security guard for the government in this film.
If he against all better judgement would, he and Maddox would not be owned by Cyclops like those guards, who didn't have any powers at all.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*fudge grumble mutter*

I should not be posting in this thread for another week, but dammit, I'll just speedscroll my way down blindfolded. [Smile] So tell me: X-Men II, better or worse than p. I?

Nim
Member # 205

I commend you on your strength to avoid the goodies.

Better than Part I? Absolutely, Part I was more of an appetizer, establishing a foundation.
This is one of the best sequels since TESB, in my opinion. And currently the best superhero movie ever.
It will give "Matrix Reloaded" a run for its money as "No.1 summer movie".

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that's promising, I've been waiting for an "intelligent blockbuster", so to speak.

And, to be completely honest, I found X-Men -- as a fleshed-out adaptation -- not quite as invigorating as Marvel's cartoon series (the early seasons, anyway). It was tasty, but a touch on the bland side, if you will.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw the 12:01 am showing. I agree with everyone else. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Personally, I was most impressed with the Nightcrawler telepartation... and the sound effect was perfect. I also enjoyed that they followed Wolverine's claws to their natural conclusion... I was expecting some half-assed fighting against those soldiers, but he really got down. When he killed the first few, I heard cheers from the fans in the theater and "holy shit" from the others.

Now, I haven't read the comics in years, and my memory isn't the best about them... what role did Stryker and/or his son play in the comic?

SUPER SPOILERS

SUPER SPOILERS

SUPER SPOILERS

The first time Jean's eyes get enflamed, I whispered the word "Phoenix" to my girlfriend, who had no idea what I was talking about. I, of course, didn't realize what was going to happen later. I have to admit to a chill when there was that winged glow in the lake...

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Nim
Member # 205

Ryan: 'and "holy shit" from the others.'

My brother and I said so too. [Smile]

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps