Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, this all started when I mentioned that there was indeed no Russian accent and more than one line was spoken by Colossus in the movie....
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you all liked the movie....right?
See something to agree on with no dissent!
This may be an online first that nobody has decided "it sucked" without explaining why!

Amazing.

Now if Griff and Andrew would fall for the same red haired girl we could re-enact many of the X-Mens greatest moments! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The character of William Stryker first appeared in the X-Men Graphic novel "God Loves, Man Kills" in 1982. He was a televangelist spouting the line that mutants were inhuman monsters spawned by Satan. The character's backstory told that he was an army Ranger during the nuclear tests in the late 50's and early 60's. He and his wife were in a car crash in the Nevada desert. His wife gave birth after the crash to what Stryker called "a monster." He killed his newborn son and his wife, and then he tried to destroy the bodies (and himself) in an explosion of the leaking gasoline. He survived the explosion, hit rock bottom with drinking, and then had a "revelation" that God had chosen him to lead the fight against mutants. It was a pretty good story, one that Bryan Singer has called an "inspiration" for much of the movie's plot.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, one question about Wolverine .....

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

If your skull is laced and sheathed with an indestructible metal, just how far is a bullet from an ordinary street cop's gun going to penetrate your forehead?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh - yeah - it did look a bit squashed when it came out though.

I'm sure Wolverine hates to get on the scales - he must weigh quite a bit! Or is adamantium both light-weight and versatile! [Smile]

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wolvie was once almost killed by a Sub Mariner villian called Tiger Shark: TS is super strong and has claws and super speed in the water and Wolvie is slow as molasses and as bouyant as a brick in water due to those metal bones....it's also the only time I've seen him really panic and get scared.
Tiger Shark lodged wolvie's claws into a reef underwater and drowned him....
Good John Byrne story and art too. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clear up some little, niggling points...

*thinks hard to put the chronology in order*

Wolvie and Sabretooth both have uber healing factors, but are not (so far as we know) related -- despite several spurious plotlines over the years alluding to some such kinship. Back in the early '90s (ish), Magneto did a number like a magnified version of that security guard -- ripped all the adamantium out of Wolvie's body. Wolvie's healing factor (which had been fighting the metal all this time) rebounded and he regressed to a quasi-bestial feral state for some time before regaining his equilibrium. We also discovered that he had bone claws. There is some debate as to whether he always had them, and they were plated in adamantium, or that he always had them and the adamantium claws "repressed" them, or that his body grew them because his neuro-muscular system was so used to having claws there.

Somewhere in here, Cyber (cheap villain that he was) had adamantium skin and claws (whatever), and Apocalypse killed him to harvest the metal as part of a plot to re-implant it in Wolvie. Stuff happened, and this never came to pass.

Further along the line, Wolvie popped a claw through Sabretooth's brain, giving him an effective lobotomy, and the government placed him in the X-Men's care. His brain eventually healed, and the government made him a provisional member of X-Factor. Sabretooth had biological claws originally, but sometime about five or six years ago, the government overrode the head of X-Factor (Forge) and used Cyber's adamantium to do to Sabretooth what the Canadian government had done to Wolvie.

Into this mix, somewhere in the mists of time, Mystique had two children. One was Nightcrawler, to a father unknown. The other was one Greydon Creed, sired by none other than Sabretooth (aka Victor Creed). Neither of these forays into motherhood turned out very well for her. Later, she adopted a young runaway she named Rogue (prior to the first movie, I don't recall ever seeing a name for her). That didn't turn out much better, as her "daughter" turned against her and joined the X-Men.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

All correct except for one thing:
Sabertooth's healing factor is artificial and a result of Mr. sinister and Weapon X tinkering.
...of course the real reason is that Sabertooth was a cheesy 70's character that always got beat up by Powerman and Iron Fist and only had animal senses and claws. During this time he was partners with the Constrictor (an ex-SHIELD asassin with cybernetic electrified adamantium tenticles from his wrists).
Sabretooth was a hired killer and eventually went after the Black Cat (Spider-Man's girlfriend at the time)and she clawed his face open and he went into the hospital for a few weeks while surgeons stitched his face bach together.
Bright boy escapes and goes looking for revenge: Spidey webs Sabe's face up and mr itelligent rips the webs off...along with the sutures and a good chunk of his face.
Coma time for sabertooth.

We don't see him for a year or so (our time) untill he pops up as a member of the Marauders (kinda Anti-X-Men) and that's the first time he has a healing factor....It starts a biiig week of action for sabe but he still gets nearly killed by the 70 year old mutant homeless woman called Plague and then a few hours later by the 14 tear old Alex Power (of Power pack).
Next Sabertooth heads out to kill Psylocke at the X-Mansion and we see the first real fight between Wolverine and sabertooth.
About ten years of revisionist history have all but obscured all the defeats he took from characters far far less dangerous than Wolverine.
Hell, Alex Power decided not to disintegrate him because " I won't be a killer like him".
What a sissy. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when Magneto sucked the metal out of Logan, it was back in '96, IIRC.
He had bone claws for a long time, when did he get the adamantium back?
I thought he did get Cyber's share, I remember seeing his skeleton lifted from the vat, terrible scene.

His costume for X2 is really nice, especially the jacket. Would be cool to get one of those, do you guys think that's possible?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'm sure someone will or is making it.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the little joke in the movie when the boy at the museum was touching the Sabretooth Tiger - and Jean or was it Storm... comes up and tells him "don't touch that". Heh heh.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
There is some debate as to whether he always had them, and they were plated in adamantium, or that he always had them and the adamantium claws "repressed" them, or that his body grew them because his neuro-muscular system was so used to having claws there.

Didn't Origins clear that up? I haven't really read comics since about '96 (circa the Magneto incident), but I did see that one in a bookstore, and the Marvel website's bio of Wolvie seems to take it as canon...

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, am curious to know how Wolverine got his adamantium back. I seem to recall something about Apocalypse...? Am I wrong there?
ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Apocalypse did play a part. Wolvie was Apocalypse's next horse dude (Death of the 4 horse men) and to be really good he had to have the metal put back on his bones. Apocalypse did that for him.

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

If memory serves, at the time Sabretooth had an adamantium-laced skeleton. Wolvie whipped his ass in spite of this, and this convinced Apocalypse that Logan was the superior choice for Death. Apocalypse stripped the adamantium from Sabretooth and transferred it to Wolvie. (At least, I think this is right; I only read the comic once).

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps