Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$ (Page 9)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
quote:
The difference being, of course, that X2 was a *good* film and Nemesis was *not.*
Well, no offense, but the way you lot came in your pants over that unmitigated pile of diarrhoeic whaleshit that was Spiderhyphenman doesn't go a whole way towards estabishing your lack of bias in these matters. . .
Uhh...I actually did not like Spider-Man, and I've never said that I did. I thought they did a piss-poor job of incorporating the vast hatred between the Goblin and Spidey. WHY OH WHY did they *have* to use Mary Jane instead of doing the whole Gwen Stacy story? That would have made a very dramatically satisfying film... [Frown]

I very much liked X2 because the story did a *good* job of incorporating a lot of the important background from the comics without making the movie seem bloated, and it had a very appropriate Star Wars-esque feel in that it was a smooth continuation of the first film and lead-in to the next. More importantly, the acting and characterization was pretty much spot-on. (Brian Cox was so awesome as Stryker! He plays such a great villain...the original Hannibal Lecter... [Razz] )

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
quote:
The difference being, of course, that X2 was a *good* film and Nemesis was *not.*
Well, no offense, but the way you lot came in your pants over that unmitigated pile of diarrhoeic whaleshit that was Spiderhyphenman doesn't go a whole way towards estabishing your lack of bias in these matters. . .
And I have to say that your... "colorful commentary"... on same show an obvious bias against. [Wink]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come on! It was shit. Acting - shit. Script - shit. Plot - shit. Effects - shit. I'm sorry, but we should all count ourselves lucky that with the X-Men franchise we have had (so far) a director and creative team who actually care about doing a good job, something that couldn't be said for Spider-Man or Star Trek: Nemesis, where it's been plainly obvious that a "what the heck, the punters'll lap up whatever crap we throw at them" mentality exists.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Totally unbiased.... [Roll Eyes]
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, my utter dislike for that rancid pile of celluloid known as Spider-Man is evidence of my total bias against. . . films. . . called. . . Spider-Man? I see.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
Yes. Totally unbiased.... [Roll Eyes]

Well, to be frank, ALL opinions are biased. That's sort of the point.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you want to be Frank?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Griffworks
Member # 1014

As long as you're not Frank Burns, I guess it's alright... [Wink]

No, my point to "Vogon Poet" deals more w/the use of the expletives to illustrate the opinion. Shows massive bias on the individual's part when one feels the overwhelming "need" to use such and what I consider to be lack of an open mind. It's one thing to have an opinion, but another to be highly critical in such a fashion. Thus my Rolling Of The Eyes in disdain and commentary on the bias.

And I got no problem with people having opinions. I have a few of those myself from time to time. Or so I'm told by Wife. [Wink]

No, my problem is with the aforementioned seeing lack of open-mindedness and apparent need of belitting a movie that some others might have liked in such a fashion. It's obviously a need on the individual's part to make others feel stupid for liking Spider-man, as well as forestall anyone arguing with him on anything to do with the movie because it was such "shit".

How 'bout "Whatever!" That make ya'll fee better? I could put a bunch of curse words in there, like every other word if that makes it right...?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's just stating his opinion for God's sake; he can do it any way he likes!! It' not a lack of open mindedness- presumeably he had an open mind before he saw the film at which point he formed the opinion that the film was shit. And it wasn't exactly the best film ever made was it?

X-men was better in all areas. Hopefully any future films will be also.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
And it wasn't exactly the best film ever made was it?

Yes it was! It was an obvious Citizen Kane analog: Aunt May was Rosebud.
I can't believe you did'nt get that.... [Roll Eyes]

C'mon guys! It's a fuckin' comic book movie!
You like it or you don't . [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Oh, goody. A newbie's decided to attack me personally. Don't they ever learn?

Obviously he's much more intelligent than I am. You can tell this because he's put my name in "inverted commas." Genius! (by which of course I mean, stupid cunt!)

I've never been a Spiderman fan, really. The 1980's Harry Hamlin show did a lot to cauterize any particular regard I had for the concept. But all the same, I was aware that given how long it had taken to finally make a film (I can even remember the circa-1990 rumours, of James Cameron and Michael Biehn etc.) and knew that given the amount of anticipation shown everywhere, this was a film that Had To Be Seen. So I did, expecting to see something special.

So, this obviously illustrates my bias because by GriffTwat's lights I should have gone to see it knowing I was going to see The Greatest Film Of All Time, and more importantly coming out afterwards firmly believing I had just seen the Greatest Film Of All Time.

quote:
No, my problem is with the aforementioned seeing lack of open-mindedness and apparent need of belitting a movie that some others might have liked in such a fashion. It's obviously a need on the individual's part to make others feel stupid for liking Spider-man, as well as forestall anyone arguing with him on anything to do with the movie because it was such "shit".
Or in other words, "MOMMMMMMYYYYYY!!! He's being horrible about Spider-Man! Make him stop!" I'm sorry, did I say anywhere that anyone who liked Spider-Man was stupid? I don't think it was a very good film. Its flaws seem quite apparent to me and I'm mystifed why it continue to hold such high regard in people's minds. All I ever meant to say was, maybe given the high level of anticipation that builds before seeing such films, maybe some people aren't being particularly objective about them.

Hence, my question about why plot holes in Nemesis (most of which would be unknown to a non-Trekkie viewer, which I'm not but can experience, say, through my own wife who is a non-Trekkie) are enough to totally condemn the film while any plot holes in X-Men 2 (and I'm not an X-Men fan particularly, and know little of the mythology) aren't anywhere near as important.

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Wow. A very mature and well thought out response that gets about as insulting as anything I've ever seen online. Thanks for confirming my thoughts regarding you. I really appreciate it.  -

Again, I never said you don't have a right to an opinion. However, the social implication of continuously calling the movie "shit" over and over and over and over and over - ad naseum - indicates that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Didn't I say this above...?

It's rather ironic, but someone whom I disagree with constantly has said it best at another forum: Best tool for a weak argument: Name calling.

BTW, put your name in "quotes" as I did because you don't seem to have the cojones to put your real name in your posts while being sophomorically insulting. [Wink]

Lee
Member # 393

My name is Lee. And one of my cats has gone missing. And you're boring me.

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

OK. Glad I could hold your attention span as long as I did, as well as entertain you for this short while. [Big Grin]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your name is Lee?
I thought it was Kosh...oh wait... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps