Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Geography of San Francisco in Trek times (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Geography of San Francisco in Trek times
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I response to a post in this thread...

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Jolly good! Then perhaps you can help me with the geography of San Francisco. I've been scratching my head over this one for ages and I can't work out where anything is supposed to be.

Maybe this will help...

The following are images from ST_TMP:DE:

-

...and this...

-

One of the reasons I asked who did these shots is that all the plates for these shots were done from the north side of the bridge, and one was flopped and altered to appear as if from the other side. But the dead giveaway is that the bridge is not symmetrical.

Specifically...
1. The north tower is right by the shoreline on the Marin side
2. The south tower stands out in the channel and has a caison around its base
3. Between the south end of the bridge and the cable anchorage an arch was built over the old Civil War era fort there

A few other images...
Facing south at landing facility over Fort Point

View from inside landing facility looking north towards Marin. In this image you see a more accurate view looking north insofar as the bridge and the Marin headlands go.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work!
Having not even set foot on the american continent I've had to rely on rough maps and photos for reference as to where things are, good to meet someone who actually knows the area!

Ok, now try and place the shots from ST:IV, TNG & DS9. [Razz]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultra-cool shots and analyses!

Perhaps we should assume that the bridge has been altered in the intervening centuries, so that the ground around the north tower has eroded away and has been replaced by a large caisson that looks a bit like the Fort Point one? Are there any real views of the north pylon in any of the Trek movies? Or in DS9?

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the Federation just put up some holoemitters to confuse offworld tourists. It's like an MC Escher drawing! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If SanFran is full of gays in modern times, then where are they in the 24th centruy? Did they fire them into the sun with all the lawyers? Or are they some kind of slave-class that Starfleet uses to build Starships in orbit?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would explain the interior decoration on the E-D. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the opening VFX shots of "Endgame", which has Voyager flying under the bridge (and presumably people standing on it and waving). Can Voyager even fit under that thing? Or the BoP, for that matter?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could assume the bridge has been altered, but that's also not consistent with what's shown on screen, as some of the shots facing "north" are correct and others mistakenly use the southern view and the fort and its arch. Plus, the geography on each side of the bridge is such that it doesn't really allow such a thing to happen.

I got a kick out of that topmost image in that I could see so many recognizable landmarks, such as the Bay Bridge, and the Bank of America building. The funny thing about the image if you know what you're looking at the eastern span of the Bay Bridge (from Yerba Buena Island to Oakland) is readily apparent...however, even now they're building a replacement for it, so the span seen in that shot would be obstructed by the new bridge.

If anyone has Trek screen grabs of the SF area from other films and wants me to similarly "geographize" them, let me know.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Styrofoaman:
If SanFran is full of gays in modern times, then where are they in the 24th centruy? Did they fire them into the sun with all the lawyers? Or are they some kind of slave-class that Starfleet uses to build Starships in orbit?

[Big Grin]

Didn't you know? They run the Federation! Queer Eye for the SpaceGuy.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Can Voyager even fit under that thing? Or the BoP, for that matter?"

The BoP, sure. Even at high tide there's still a 220ft clearance between the deck and GG strait.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether it can fit under the bridge or not, flying a starship that close to a presumably occupied structure seems a neadlessly risky manuever to pull for a publicity stunt.

Don't cadets that look like helm officers get thrown out of starfleet for stuff like that?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And with Voyager being around 66m tall, that's a mighty tight fit even at low tide. Paris was obviously looking for something else for Starfleet to hate him for. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bunch of San Fransisco shots

Starfleet HQ?
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/sanfrancomm.jpg
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/sanfranbase.jpg

UFP HQ
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/sthead.jpg

The Academy (huh? the model says Starfleet Command.. I'm confused now [Frown] )
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/stacademy.jpg

ENT Starfleet HQ
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/2151head.jpg
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/2151head01.jpg

Uhm.. I'm confused now. Are those STIV buildings specifically called UFP Headquarters? And how does it fit with Starfleet HQ and other buildings?

And a little extra, rather useless pic:
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/starfleetmed.jpg
It seems to say "San Fransisco" on the side of the building.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Academy (huh? the model says Starfleet Command.. I'm confused now
Yeah, that's Starfleet Command from DS9 Homefront/Paradise Lost.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That last pic of the medical building also says "Star Fleet" instead of "Starfleet" on the sign to the left under the globe.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps