Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Geography of San Francisco in Trek times (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Geography of San Francisco in Trek times
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eastern Siberia is probably not a priority target. [Wink] And Harry, The Rozhenkos beamed over from "Earth Station Bobruisk". Now before you say it was a ground-based station, the facility the Enterprise was docked at in that same episode was Earth Station McKinley. Stands to reason there was still a city underneath the station's orbit (or mountain in the latter's case), but no 100% guarantee.

Where was Devinoni Ral born? I know they said European Hegemony, but I think I remember a city, too.

When was Leningrad mentioned in Star Trek IV?

Have we had any mention of Central or South America, besides Hoshi's school in Brazil?

For that matter, any mention of India or Southeast Asia?

Surprising dearth of places in what was recently called the "Third World". I find it telling that up until TNG, all references were to the "Third World War", rather than to WWIII...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When was Leningrad mentioned in Star Trek IV?
When they list severe weather conditions on Earth.

I remember LaForge being born in the African Confederation. And conjecture has it that Uhura was born in the United States of Africa. Of course, there are certainly enough (little) countries for two multinational organisations on the African continent.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Leningrad in STIV.

Which, of course, raises the question of whether or not there was another Russian Revolution (possibly post-WWIII?) or SF Command just has really old maps.

Or Leningrad has never been renamed to St. Petersburg in the Trekverse.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ezri mentions Rio de Jeinero as a good place to live (Jadzia loved it), Keiko's mother lives in Kumamoto, Japan. Venezuela is still around. And Archer grew up in New York.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also another question I came up with is that if Starfleet Command is based in San Fransisco and presummably most of Kirk's crew were probaly familier with the area in the 24th Century how come Uhura and Chekov couldn't find their way to Alameda in ST:IV?

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20th centruy SF probably looks a lot different than 23rd century SF.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except they didn't seem to know where the place is at all, which I find strange for two people who graduated from an Academy based in the Bay Area. Unless Alameda somehow dropped off the face of the earth, It's like someone going to college for four years in New York City and not knowing where Brooklyn is.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that the scene was largly done for laughs and most of it was improvised I wouldn't read too much into it. Logically they could have just hailed a cab, but then they probably didn't know what a cab is.

However, they seamed to know of Alameda, they just didn't know how to get there on foot.
I presume that in the 23rd Century there would have been an extensive subterranian rail system (as I've drawn on my map) and very few people would actually walk the 15 miles from the Presideo, across the bay to Alameda.

Even if they did, as Spike pointed out the city would have changed quite a bit over the centuries and after scrutinising maps of San Francisco and the bay area for the last few days, I can say that it's a very big place and I can imagine that it's very easy to get lost at ground level.
Especially if allot of the street names and alignments are different than what you might be used to.

There is also the slightly ironic possibility that Chekov (a former navigator) has a poor sense of direction, remember that both he and Sulu managed to get lost in ST:V? [Wink]

While we're naming places on Earth which are still there in the 23rd & 24th centuries, I believe one of the DS9 cargo labels was addressed to the Central Bureau of Rehabilitation in Stockholm, Sweden.
The other address was of course Tantalus V. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the Antwerp Conference - the one where that Founder blew up the Romulans, Humans and Tholian observer?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh. That 'ghost' from Paste Tense said he wanted to flee to Tasmania.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

I seriously doubt that Tazmania is likely to go anywhere in the next few centuries.

--------------------

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the list that I have compiled, though looking at some of the posts above, I appear to have missed a couple of places. BTW what episode mention St. Louis and Dr. Crusher's competition?

Alice Springs, Australia�Vanishing Point
Anchorage, Alaska�Fight or Flight
Atlanta, Georgia�The Xindi
Bergen, Norway�The Maquis, Part I
Bloomington, Indiana�Imperfection
Boise, Idaho�City on the Edge of Forever
Boston, Massachusetts�Pathfinder
Brisbane, Australia�Dear Doctor
Broken Bow, Oklahoma�Broken Bow
Buenos Aires, Argentina�Renaissance Man
Calgary, Canada�First Duty
Canton, Ohio�11:59; The Andorian Incident
Carbon Creek, Pennsylvania�Carbon Creek
Chicago, Illinois�Manhunt; Repression
Dakar, Senegal�Evolution
Death Valley, California�Vanishing Point
Duluth, Minnesota�The Xindi
Florence, Italy�Concerning Flight
Kenmare, Ireland�Breaking the Ice
Kota Baharu, Malaysia�Silent Enemy
Labarre, France�Chain of Command, Part II
Leningrad, USSR�I, Mudd; The Voyage Home
Lisbon, Portugal�Homefront
London, England�The Big Goodbye
Los Angeles, California�Future�s End
Madison, Wisconsin�Vanishing Point
Marseille, France�Non Sequitur
New Orleans, Louisiana�Homefront
New York City, New York�City on the Edge of Forever
Paris, France�The Undiscovered Country
Panama City, Florida�Fusion
Pensacola, Florida�Silent Enemy
Portland, Oregon�Past Tense, Part I
Oakland, California�Endgame, Part I; Rogue Planet
Saint Moritz, Switzerland�Waking Moments
San Antonio, Texas�Manhunt
San Francisco, California�Time�s Arrow
Sausalito, California�Broken Bow Sinagpore�Cogenitor
Tarpon Springs, Florida�The Crossing
Teaneck, New Jersey�The Outrageous Okona
Valdez, Alaska�The Icarus Factor

--------------------
"The Internet. Is that thing still around?"
-Homer Simpson

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot Tokyo, Japan, mentioned also in Star Trek IV now that I remember the atmospheric conditions scene. Plus Wellington, New Zealand, in "Caretaker". Plus Bobruisk, Belarus, from "Family". And the 'Dancing Doctor' St. Louis stuff was from "Data's Day".

Were all of those up there 22nd century and later? I seem to remember some of those references being related to 21st century or earlier, such as Portland in "Past Tense"...

--Jonah

P.S. I notice you omitted the larger regions, such as the African Confederation, United States of Africa, the European Hegemony, Ireland, Scotland (Aberdeen, if you accept the reams of written Trek material), Brazil, Iowa (Riverside, again referencing commonly-accepted written material).

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Timo:

Depending a bit on how WWIII was fought, I find it quite plausible that the biggest cities would have had better odds of survival than the smaller ones. There could have been advanced missile defenses in place, but they'd have protected Washington better than Tuscaloosa. Or bioweapons might have been unleashed to kill city populations, but their delivery systems would have inflicted relatively little physical damage. Enough perhaps to level a small city, but not a large one.

Your theory would also fit with a Counterforce Strike. It's designed to take out as much military hardware and personnel as possible (especially nuclear weapons silos) while limiting civilian casualties as best as can be done considering many military bases are located within the heart of or on the outskirts of major cities like San Diego and San Francisco, etc.

Riker did insist that "major cities were destroyed". Yet we never saw any hint of war damage to the real estate in any episode or movie. Perhaps the bioweapon theory is the best angle here. Or perhaps instead of nukes, the parties used orbital bombardment techniques that destroyed cities block by block, skipping some blocks and resulting in the skylines we witness in TNG.

There are a heck of a lot more open green areas in the future cities then there are now. This could be because the buildings they stood under were destroyed and have been covered over. There are far less and more widely spaced structures then modern cities.

To add to the above list there is also the (major) city of Mojave, California as shown in "The Cage".

Santa Monica, California in "Future's End".

Upstate New York is fine because Archer was born there according to "North Star".

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Upstate New York is fine because Archer was born there according to "North Star".
That depends on your definition of fine.
For all we know Archer could have been born in a temporary hospital amidst the ruins of Westchester.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps