Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Geography of San Francisco in Trek times (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Geography of San Francisco in Trek times
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Don't forget the opening VFX shots of "Endgame", which has Voyager flying under the bridge (and presumably people standing on it and waving). Can Voyager even fit under that thing? Or the BoP, for that matter?

Wait a minute... I seem to remember that Voyager did NOT fly under the bridge, merely over it, complete with people looking UP from the bridge to watch it fly past.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whichever one they did, I want to see a blooper reel where one of Voyager's impulse engines cuts out and the whole ship goes careeing through the bridge.

Best. Homecoming. Ever.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the insanely descriptive DELTA BLUES synopsis:

"The vessel swoops down, clearing the top of the landmark bridge in the San Francisco Bay with a hair's breadth to spare, then swoops upward and executes a spiraling upward climb through the rainbow of celebratory fire. (Any guesses on who's behind the helm?) "

Whoops, I guess. Still, i'd like to see that crash. Perhaps we can challenge some of the gang on Sci-Fi Meshes to that end. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
A bunch of San Fransisco shots

Starfleet HQ?

http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/sanfrancomm.jpg
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/sanfranbase.jpg

That's the Marin side, as you can tell by the tower being right next to the shore and you can see the caison around the south tower in the water to the right. The geography is a tad wonky, but not too bad. The buildings seen there are on and around the area of one of the old defensive gunnery points for the Golden Gate. In fact, some of the plates used in TMP:DE were shot from there. Looking at the pic at the start of this post, those buildings should be about where the lone tree is on the hill just below Alcatraz.

quote:
UFP HQ
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/sthead.jpg

This is a weird one. I pulled out Cinefex #29 and looked at the painting and you can clearly see San Francisco in the background, this means it's on the Marin side again, but way down below the height of the bridge deck. This would put it east of the Bonita Lighthouse at the SW tip of Marin(I'm going to have to make a map to go with this thread)!

quote:
The Academy (huh? the model says Starfleet Command.. I'm confused now [Frown] )
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/stacademy.jpg

That HAS to be from in San Francisco, because you can't get a view like that from the Marin side. Just a ballpark guess but that looks like it might be from Fort Mason (due west of Fisherman's Wharf)...which is a bit east of where Kirk and Spock got picked up by Gillian Taylor in Trek IV.

quote:
ENT Starfleet HQ
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/2151head.jpg
http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/2151head01.jpg

In the view with the bridge, definitely the Marin side. This looks to have been shot from Fort Baker, just round the bend from Sausalito.

quote:
Uhm.. I'm confused now. Are those STIV buildings specifically called UFP Headquarters? And how does it fit with Starfleet HQ and other buildings?

These Ent. buildings on the the SE end of Marin, the Trek VI ones are on the SW end.

quote:
And a little extra, rather useless pic:

http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/starfleetmed.jpg
It seems to say "San Fransisco" on the side of the building.

Yep!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager does indeed fly over the bridge, not under it.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better either of those than through it....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made an additional image to help out...here it is... (damn...just noticed a typo in Sausalito...pardon!)

-

Oh yeah, and I forgot to label San Francisco proper...but you guys will figure it out. [Wink]

The Trek-related items are in yellow. Real world stuff is labeled in white.

A few of the items above are best-guesses. For instance, the UFP HQ buildings seen in TVH look like they should be in the Marina in San Francisco, but since you can see San Francisco in the background (unless that's supposed to be the Marin headlands covered with buildings), it would have to be to the north, in a place where you really cannot get the view indicated.

I'm pretty sure the rest is relatively accurate.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it says "starfleet" on the building!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:

That last pic of the medical building also says "Star Fleet" instead of "Starfleet" on the sign to the left under the globe.

They did that in Nemesis on the graphic that showed the ships of the reserve fleet waiting to back up Enterprise beyond the Nebula. It said Star Fleet as well.

They better not be trying to change it on us. [Wink]

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stood where the Academy should be.

It was cold and rainy....looks like weather control in in full effect in the Bay Area.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like that Medical Center is an existing building with CGI lettering...

What about the Starfleet Communications Research HQ (The skyscraper-with-Starfleet-logo from Voyager). Was that somewhere in San Fransisco? Wait.. I remember a ST Magazine article on it that showed a CGI looking out from one it's windows showing the Golden Gate...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ug. ALL the windows shown from EVERY apartment and office show the fucking bridge.

Can you say "holographic viewers to make up for crappy natural views"?

Janeway's office?
A broom closet in the sub basement.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has a nice view though....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What about the Starfleet Communications Research HQ (The skyscraper-with-Starfleet-logo from Voyager). Was that somewhere in San Fransisco?"

Wasn't that a real building in, like, Hong Kong or something?

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wasn't that a real building in, like, Hong Kong or something?
Bet it has a nice view of the bridge...

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps