Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Geography of San Francisco in Trek times (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Geography of San Francisco in Trek times
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think what we saw in IV was even the actual Council. Too small, and the seats were filled with Starfleet officers. It makes more sense for it to be some Council security committee, which could very well be meeting somewhere in Starfleet headquarters.

Anyway, while it makes a lot of sense to keep your executive and legislature in physical proximity (even, I'd argue, three hundred years in the future with transporters and really sweet broadband), thus leading towards the Council being somewhere in Europe, if not itself in Paris, it also makes sense to keep your military headquarters close at hand too.

Or does it? Certainly the case could be made today that a distributed govenment (physically) is a good idea, to prevent all your leadership from dying from weaponized bird flu on the same day. On the other hand, anyone coming to blow up Starfleet Command has already traveled billions of miles; the Atlantic is not likely to present a problem.

Plus it seems like a good idea for the president to be in walking distance of the top military leaders, in case, say, rogue Starfleet officers attempt a coup and somehow shut off power to the entire planet.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh - I always thought that airtram station in TMP was in the Presidio area. So did the BoP in TVH fly under the GGbridge from West to East or East to West - I always thought they pointed to the left with the "look!" and i assumed they were approaching from the west.

Where is the cetacean institue?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Monterey Bay Aqu--er, the "Cetacean Institute" is in Monterey, outside the scope of that map.

Simon: I agree with the idea that that was NOT the entire Council shown. In Prime Directive, the idea of the "general council" was mentioned, with representatives at the system-wide level; perhaps something similar was shown.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They shot the Cetacean Institute at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but it was supposed to be in Sausilito, North Bay.

On the subject of Kirk's apartmentL So my sister lives on the northern edge of Russian Hill (Woo! I'll be watching her house while she's away next week!) Anyway, so I'm inclined to think it is Russian Hill owing to the absence of Alcatraz.

If only there were some program that would let us see different vantages and geography. aside: (OK, I will be this nerdy, but only because it's Wrath of Khan)

-  -

And for Telegraph Hill:

-  -

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. I did some more detective work and I know where Kirk's apartment is. The cyclorama used is from The Towering Inferno (you can tell because of the horizon line), which means Kirk's place is like 100 or more stories up.

I did some poking around about that film and figured out where the building was supposed to be. It was here:

-

This puts it roughly on the south side of Market Street at the start of Geary Blvd., between 2nd and 3rd Streets, more or less due south of the Transamerica Pyramid. The view LOOKS like it's somewhere between Russian and Telegraph Hills only because the POV is from so high up.

Hell, let's just say Kirk lives IN the Towering Inferno, then we can just say this is a pic of his home turf (the tallest building)...

-

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is that building really - or is it another building that you've just photoshopped? I would assume that the city has more higher buildings in that time too.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, that's a picture from classic 70's high-celeb-bodycount disaster movie The Towering Inferno, surely? As Neuty said.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, going all the way back to page one.
 -

There are quite a few candidates over on the left near the transamerica building.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God damn, I guess it's good to be the admiral.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps