Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Geography of San Francisco in Trek times (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Geography of San Francisco in Trek times
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
...considering many military bases are located within the heart of or on the outskirts of major cities like San Diego and San Francisco, etc.

As to San Francisco, once upon a time there was a lot of military around here, but there aren't significant military bases in the Bay Area any more. The Presidio is a national park, Alameda isn't a naval base any more, Moffet Field is NASA, etc.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...Scotland (Aberdeen, if you accept the reams of written Trek material)..."

I could be remembering incorrectly, but didn't Scotty mention Aberdeen in "Wolf in the Fold"? It seems like he definitely mentioned some Scottish city, at least.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also forgot the mention the Picard Family Vineyards in I think it was Le Havre France.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LaBarre it was called, been mentioned last page

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh there it is.
See, when you get to be the ripe of age of 23 your eyesight isnt as good as it used to be.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "A City on the Edge of Forever", Captain Kirk mentions Boise, Idaho and Inner Mongolia.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See what happens when Enterprise has no tech to speculate on?!?
We're forced to consider any little thing just to keep the geeky parts of our brains active and not start another thread about the BOBW fleet or the length of the Defiant.

Curse you techless episodes!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, cities do have a tendency to get rebuilt from time to time. You can go visit Jericho, after all. Or, for that matter, Hiroshima.

The dude from "The Price" was born in, I believe, Brussels. Well, I guess I could just check the encyclopedia.

"...Brussels, in the European alliance" is what it says. European alliance is a kind of clunky name though, if you ask me. I'm sure Earth's government could get away with just calling it "Europe."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The EA is probably just the Trek version of the EU.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an addendum to this topic, but I think I figured out where Kirk's apt. in TWOK and TSFS is supposed to be. I was looking at an old behind the scenes photo where film production crew memebers are setting up miniature buildings outside the windows of the Kirk apartment set. Behind the model buildings is a cyclorama of the bay area (left over from another movie), from which I can tell that the approximate point of view for the cyclorama is either Russian Hill or Telegraph Hill (where Coit Tower is located). If the latter, Kirk's more or less above (and slightly south of) Fisherman's Wharf.
 -

The Northern California Movies site I linked to claims Russian Hill, but from my perspective I'm thinking Telegraph Hill.

The distant city lights seen to the right of Kirk in the image above would be Sausalito. Those just to the left of his head would be Fort Baker, which is where Starfleet HQ is situated in Enterprise.
 -

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one hideous fucking apartment.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are down on everything.

The furniture could use an updating, though, OK.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was quite a cool apartment - well when it's a moving picture.

So is this on the south side or the north side of the bay? Close into San Francisco or out near the heads - which is where the GG Bridge is isn't it?

Forgive me if I've fucked that all up - I've never been to San Francisco - my mental map is made up from what I've seen on Trek! And maybe a map here or there (probably posted here) (possibly in this thread even).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I always thought it was quite a cool apartment - well when it's a moving picture.

So is this on the south side or the north side of the bay? Close into San Francisco or out near the heads - which is where the GG Bridge is isn't it?

Forgive me if I've fucked that all up - I've never been to San Francisco - my mental map is made up from what I've seen on Trek! And maybe a map here or there (probably posted here) (possibly in this thread even).

Here, again, is a map I made a few years ago. Kirk's apt. is either at the point labeled Coit Tower/Telegraph Hill, or slightly to the left of that on Russian Hill.

-

San Francisco is on the south side of the Golden Gate, the channel that connects the Bay to the ocean, as such, it's neither south or north bay. Kind of "above the middle of the bay". The bay is to the east, the Golden Gate is to the north, the Pacific Ocean is to the west, and the burbs are south. [Wink]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing the "relative proximity" of all the Command structures, I'm wondering iff the whole area including the Presidio, the Bridge itself, & the "anchor ends" aren't set aside as "Federation territory" with the whole area being a massive sort of historical heritage area. That way, Starfleet could keep people from spraying "Ixkgnortgvkt rules!!" on the old buildings & such.

Also, I never liked the idea of the Federation Council being in San Francisco. There were no windows in the chambers, so how do we know it's not in Brussels or Geneva or Berlin or somewhere else it would make more sense for the Federation President (based in Paris) to get to?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps