Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Geography of San Francisco in Trek times (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Geography of San Francisco in Trek times
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mccoy went to school in mississippi, doesnt mean he was from there. didnt he ever get a georgia reference, or is that from a non canon source?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben Sisko's sister - Judith I think... was mentioned and the city she lives in.

Oh yeah and Hoshi reads a letter from Brisbane, Australia!!

She so sexay! [Smile]

And are there such places as Broken Bow or Carbon Creek in the US??

Next we'll have to have a Trip episode called Dinkum Dog or something.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broken Bow, Oklahoma is a real town, the ZIP code is 74728

When Braga was writing the ENT premiere, he originally had Broken Bow set in another state, it was a real town he knew of. He then changed it to say that it was in Oklahoma because he didn't want to refer to the real town.

What he didn't know was that there was also a Broken Bow in OK. Although they don't have cornfields, the biggest farm industry there is chicken farming i believe, but things could change in the next 148 years and upcoming world war(s) lol am i rite guyz

a map-quest

Carbon Creek, according to mapquest, exists in Alaska, Arizona and California.. i'm dubious that any of those could be the town from the ep, although im amused that the CA town is near Paramount, CA (and Garden Grove / Long Beach for Sublime fans)...

however, searches indicate that while it might not always be a town name, its a common name for coal mining areas.. did the ep give a state location?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC the New York hall of fame was mentioned in (DS9 "In The Cards").
As for Washington, I SERIOUSLY doubt that city came through WWIII unscathed. Either the Smithsonian was moved or the city was rebuilt to some degree. Either way it's not going to be called Washington DC anymore, probably Washington City, or just Washington...maybe even Otisburg. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marseilles was shown in the alternate universe of "Non Sequiter" and in several holodeck representations (though all we see is the inside of a bar). So it's still around.

What was the city in the Midwest US where the Millenium Gate was being built in that horrible VOY ep "11:59"? I think it was in Indiana.

Cambridge was shown in "AGT..."

Tokyo's OK because they mentioned Tokyo R&D. Hoshi's from somewhere in Japan. The school she taught at was in Brazil.

Malcolm's parents live in Malaysia.

Idaho is mostly intact because that's where Kirk's uncle's barn was.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
did the ep give a state location?

I think it was Pennsylvania, which would make sense.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
Idaho is mostly intact because that's where Kirk's uncle's barn was.

Must be one big barn...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that Kirk's ego could fit in...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending a bit on how WWIII was fought, I find it quite plausible that the biggest cities would have had better odds of survival than the smaller ones. There could have been advanced missile defenses in place, but they'd have protected Washington better than Tuscaloosa. Or bioweapons might have been unleashed to kill city populations, but their delivery systems would have inflicted relatively little physical damage. Enough perhaps to level a small city, but not a large one.

Riker did insist that "major cities were destroyed". Yet we never saw any hint of war damage to the real estate in any episode or movie. Perhaps the bioweapon theory is the best angle here. Or perhaps instead of nukes, the parties used orbital bombardment techniques that destroyed cities block by block, skipping some blocks and resulting in the skylines we witness in TNG.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye Neutron weapons?
Only kills organics and leaves the buildings standing, dontcha know.
Gotta get me one o' them bueaties.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worf (or his parents?) once beamed over to the E-D from Bobruisk, Belarus.

Then there's of course the Antwerp Conference, obviously held in Antwerp, Belgium.

Picard came from LaBarre, France. Except that there is no such place (yet) in France. We also saw France in "All Good Things" [Wink] .

Including Paris, I guess that's all we heard of continental Europe (what was it called again? The European Hegemony!?) in Trek..

Trip once mentioned some observatory in Anchorage.

And there also seems to be a Garrett Island somewhere in the 2060s. And of course, there someday will be a new continent called Atlantis...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That guy trying to kiss up to Riker mentioned his grandfather was Canadian too....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Worf also mentioned Minsk as a good city for O'Brian to live in. I forget what the other suggestions were, although I'm sure Sisko would have said New Orleans.

As for how WWIII was fought, I think orbital bombardment was certainly one method used, given that (other than breaking the cease fire) the Borg attack on Resurrection didn't seam at all unfamiliar to Cochrane or Sloane.
However Riker said MOST of the major cities had been destroyed, not just some or the majority.
Remember that cities don't require a direct hit from a tactical nuke to be destroyed.
Economic collapse can do it just as easy, if a city's infrastructure ceases to function then fires tend to burn out of control, looters cause widespread damage and civil unrest, the dead rot where they fall, disease, famine, drought, pestilence...you get the idea.
Of course this is the kind of damage that would have happened after the war.
So while it it possible that allot of nukes would have been thrown around, most of the targets would probably have been major military targets. I can certainly see Cheyenne Mountain being little more than a broken hill by the 23rd Century.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leningrad in STIV.

Which, of course, raises the question of whether or not there was another Russian Revolution (possibly post-WWIII?) or SF Command just has really old maps.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. one of the Oberths was launched from (!????) Baikonur, in the (ahem) USSR.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps