Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Geography of San Francisco in Trek times (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Geography of San Francisco in Trek times
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
quote:
Wasn't that a real building in, like, Hong Kong or something?
Bet it has a nice view of the bridge...
There are some great views if SF where you can see just a hint of the bridge...notably if you come around the east end of Golden Gate Park and you see the top of the south tower peeking over the trees of the Presidio. A very non-typical view.

And hey, when is Star Trek gonna give the Bay Bridge its due?! Equal time! Equal time!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I find it funny that in Star Trek IV Uhura and Chekov don't know where Alameda is, given its proximity to San Francisco. One must assume they:
a)never spent much time around Starfleet HQ in SF
b)Alameda was renamed New Vulcan in 2207
c)Oh wait, no one now knows where Alameda is...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
[QB]There are some great views if SF where you can see just a hint of the bridge...notably if you come around the east end of Golden Gate Park and you see the top of the south tower peeking over the trees of the Presidio. A very non-typical view.

That's pretty much exactly where I lived in SF (on 2nd Ave, half a block north of GGP). It's rather disturbing - you're walking to the bus one morning and the fog lifts... *WHAM*, gorgeous view of the bridge, glowing surreal colors in the sunlight.

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And hey, when is Star Trek gonna give the Bay Bridge its due?! Equal time! Equal time!

Never: the Bay Bridge is hideous.
After the war, the Dominion destroyed the Bay Bridge from orbit as partial reparations for their attacking San Fransisco.
It was the least they could do. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:

Never: the Bay Bridge is hideous.
After the war, the Dominion destroyed the Bay Bridge from orbit as partial reparations for their attacking San Fransisco.
It was the least they could do. [Wink]

The Bay Bridge is not hideous...well, the western span isn't...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they'd jsut paint the damn thing a better color...
It's so depressing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
If they'd jsut paint the damn thing a better color...
It's so depressing.

Actually, when it's got a fresh coat of silver on it it's stunning, but that does dull so fast it IS kinda depressing.

I wonder how the the new eastern space of the Bay Bridge will look once it's done.

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, and I find it funny that in Star Trek IV Uhura and Chekov don't know where Alameda is...

Dude, I grew up in the Bay Area and had no idea where Alameda is...

(Personally I find the editing they did to the Monterey Bay Aquariam interesting... Compare to the original... open the QuickTime VR popup for a slightly better view. I love the area... )

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to wear some salad in your haaair!

Mister Neutron: "Actually, when it's got a fresh coat of silver on it it's stunning, but that does dull so fast it IS kinda depressing."

Why don't they coat it with aluminium? It doesn't dull, does it? Or was that a study in brainfartage just now?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

which is a bit east of where Kirk and Spock got picked up by Gillian Taylor in Trek IV.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Picked them up... for a night of efficient Vulcan sex.

[Wink]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder where the Vulcan Compound is?

Where did the Bell Riots take place?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe T'Pol mentioned the Vulcan Compound being in Sausalito.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Bell Riots were on the Paramount stock street lot

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why don't they coat it with aluminium? It doesn't dull, does it? Or was that a study in brainfartage just now?"

Well, for one thing, we don't have aluminium in the US. Just aluminum.

And I'm pretty sure it doesn't stay eternally shiny.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capped in Mic:
the Bell Riots were on the Paramount stock street lot

wind out of the sails here...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps