Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be noted that while Species 8472 came from fluidic space, their ships didn't have fluidic atmospheres, for some reason or another...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could mean that they didn't evolve in fluidic space after all, it could just be a domain that they conquered and kept for themselves.
They obviously have the ability to move between different...whatever FS was...and it was never made clear if they could do this before the Borg invaded or after.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Tholians: if they are indeed a crystal based lifeform then perhaps they can grow whatever appendages or limbs they might need at will which could mean that they can look like any one of those depictions if they wish. Which would make them shapeshifters, sort of.

Another possibility is that they are only semi-corporeal and are in fact plasma based and the crystal structures are like shells that they harvest on their homeworld and use to travel around and interact with objects without melting them. Perhaps they evolved within their home sun and were colonised on Tholia by a solar flare?

One small point though, wasn't there an episode early on in TNG where they encountered a crystal based lifeform and it was something totally new to Federation science? (no I'm not thinking of the crystalline entity...although that may also apply)
If I'm right then either the Tholians are not crystal based or the Federation were never able to learn anything much about Tholian physiology until after said episode. In which case then we probably won't actually see the Tholians on Enterprise other than on the viewscreen....not that violating canon is unheard of on that show.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in a TNG episode it was also stated that an inorganic lifeform was "unheard of," apparently ignoring the Horta from "Devil in the Dark" (TOS) and possibly others, so...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
That could mean that they didn't evolve in fluidic space after all, it could just be a domain that they conquered and kept for themselves.
They obviously have the ability to move between different...whatever FS was...and it was never made clear if they could do this before the Borg invaded or after.

Intresting idea.
Mabye Species 8472 uses Fluidic Space as their version of Transwarp or hyperspace....they liked it so much they bought the entire dimension.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while organic, if I remember correctly, means something has carbon in it, that meaning does have some contraversy to it. There are silicon life-forms even on Earth, in acid pools near old volcanic craters... can't remember the location of where they were found anymore. I think that silicon might expand the defination of organic compounds.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are silicon life-forms even on Earth
Not in this reality, sadly.

As far as fluidic space goes, I live in vaccumic space, but tend to like something a bit thicker when it comes to atmosphere.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
while organic, if I remember correctly, means something has carbon in it, that meaning does have some contraversy to it.

Some ignorant laypeople might think "organic" means "alive," but that doesn't mean the true definition of "carbon-based" is controversial. It just means ignorant laypeople are wrong.

quote:
I think that silicon might expand the defination of organic compounds.
How would silicon make organic not mean "carbon-based" anymore?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, didn't Voyager once mention that they didn't know about silicon-based lifeforms until they found a rock stuck in that big glowing lemon?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager said alot of things, pallie.
It's like watching a TV show written by some kid that keeps making up stories to out-do everyone else: even if they make no sense and are completely uninformed. [Roll Eyes]
*"faster than light, no left or right"
* Dinosaurs had a high tech civilization and left earth in spaceships
*Transwarp turns humanoids into little salamanders: this process is reversable too!
*Starfleet and private researchers knew all about the Borg prior to Picard's first contact with them.
and my personal favorite:
* Amelia Earheart(sp?) is still alive after being abducted by aliens.
Holy fuck: did they hire all their writers from Weekly World News ?!?
I completely expexted the final episode to reveal the Borg are really controlled by Hitler's brain in a jar.
People talk about Enterprise being some kind of continuity destroying cancer, but at least they try to make plausable stories. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Tholians are really Spock's "Marshmelons"

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the big deal about species 8472 not living in actual fluidic space fluid or what ever.

1. I don't think Fluidic Space is actually FLUID - but the properties of that dimension/subspace domain, has a S/T continuum that is fluidic in nature. Everyone's not floating around in molasses.

2. Our ships move through space, a vacuum. Species 8472 ships move through fluid-space. Where they live is not necessarily fluidic or what ever. Just like we don't live on a Vacuum.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Huh?
How can something be fluidic without pertaining to fluid?
Your "vacum cleaner" analgy makes no sense: we DO live in a vaccum (99% anyway).
Scorpion pt.2 made it pretty clear to me that fluidic space was a fluid filled dimension: kinda like that gum we chewed as kids: y'know, the stuff that lost all flavor after you used up the gooey fluid center?
That's why the Borg risk getting their asses kicked there. All those assimilated species left a really bad taste in their collective mouths.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one said anything about a vacuum cleaner.

The point is that, even though our space is almost entirely vacuum, we still live in pockets of atmosphere. So, if fluidic space is almost entirely some "fluid", the beings living there may still live in pockets of a different atmospehere.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

How would an atmosphere keep out something fluid (as fluid would have the mass and resistance that Voyager encountered upon entering Fluidic space)?
I suppose there could be regoins of fluidic space that harbor strange lifeforms in a kind of fluid nebula composed of differing chemicals.
I don't recall any planets in there (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken).
Light might be provided via plasma streams or chemical interaction....I don't remember seeing any stars in there but it has been a while....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps