Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....sooooo....what did the Jarada look like?
Anybody want to speculate on what a Sheliak cruiser would look like?
We only ever saw the slight mod of the Merchantman studio model as their colony ship.
They were treated like they had formidable tech/weapons/voodoo.

How long 'till we see the Orions?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
There are silicon life-forms even on Earth

I seem to recall an article in "New Scientist" some years back, that pointed out that silicon-based life would spontaneously combust in an oxygen atmosphere.
However, there are some oddities of evolution on Earth; the horseshoe crab, like the Vulcans, has a copper-based globin in its blood instead of an iron-based one like humans.

End of scientific trivia [Wink]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jaradans look insectoid, according to dialogue. They look like something off-screen, according to non-dialogue.

As for the Sheliak, it seemed to have a head, at least, since it looked pretty much like a guy w/ a blanket over him.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was the Armus costume, like Simon used to. WHEN DID THIS INFORMATION CHANGE?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying that it did. But, it does look kind of different, and thus my once solid conclusion now seems much shakier.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it is the Armus costume, if you compare the two you'll notice that the Sheliak looks far more bulky and not so flexible.
Besides I doubt that the Armus piece was much more than a very basic rubber or somesuch material which was covered in black gunk (poor bloke must have had serious trouble breathing in that thing), the Sheliak on the other hand seams to be more of a sculpted piece.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
....sooooo....what did the Jarada look like?
Anybody want to speculate on what a Sheliak cruiser would look like?
We only ever saw the slight mod of the Merchantman studio model as their colony ship.
They were treated like they had formidable tech/weapons/voodoo.

How long 'till we see the Orions?

The title of the novel was 'Imbalance'. Sorry, but the cover did not have an artwork of a Jarada.

*Which* Orions? Any of the Rigellians? The green slave girls maybe? [Cool]
I thought the term 'Orion Syndicate' just indicated a multi-species organisation based on one of the planets from the Orion belt (or has there ever been a direct reference to a planet named 'Orion'?) Correct me if I'm wrong though.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
quote:
*Which* Orions? Any of the Rigellians? The green slave girls maybe? [Cool]
I thought the term 'Orion Syndicate' just indicated a multi-species organisation based on one of the planets from the Orion belt (or has there ever been a direct reference to a planet named 'Orion'?) Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I always thought that the Orion Syndicate was the Orion equivelant (loosely) of the Federation...as in an alliance or collection of a shady groups of individuals and species organized presumably by the Orions (the "Green Skinned" people), who themselves are an individual political entity.

We saw Orion slave girls and Orion terrorists in TOS (The Cage, Whom Gods Destroy, and The Journey to Babel), Orion Pirates in TAS (The Pirates of Orion), and then we heard of the Orion Syndicate in DS9 (The Ascent, Honor Among Thieves, Prodigal Daughter).

As a whole they have been hinted at quite significantly, but never given half the attention you would expect, as they are indeed one of the original species Trek ever created...a la "The Cage".

I, personally, think the Orions deserve the same treatment as the Andorians have gotten...and not to sound like a broken record, the same with the Tellarites. When it really comes down to it, they could add these two species easily, as well as continue with the Tholians and Andorians, leave the Romulans alone for the next 3 years and forget the Klingons altogether and there is certainly enough material here to work with to create some gold, true to a prequel. [Smile] Instead of our consistant run-ins with species and technologies and prison ships that have no place in Enterprise.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Encyclopedia has a single reference to planet/star Orion, presumably from DS9, but I forget what it is. By tomorrow we'll know... Of course, since there is no planet/star Orion currently in existence, it could be that the Trek location lies nowhere near the constellation or nebula of that name, and just

a) is coincidentally named the same way or
b) falls on the line between Earth and Orion.

While the Orion syndicate no doubt is a multispecies organization (as we saw in "Honor Among Thieves"), TAS valiantly tries to say that there is a green-skinned race of Orions where the stereotypical male is a pirate and the female is a slave. But even if we accept that as canon, it doesn't mean there couldn't be other "Orion races" as well.

And the green skin of the known Orions could be something like Yakuza tattoos - an indication of social or crime-organizational status. Perhaps you get greened when you become a slave or a pirate (which may even be the same thing to some extent), but purpled if you are an important boss person...

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quark wanted to go to Orion to drop stuff off or something. Here's an interesting excerpt from Trimble's Concordance:

quote:

� Orion planet: The originally colonized, most inhabited planet in the Orion star system, noted for traders, treachery and green animal women. Dr. Roger Korby improved immunization techniques with information from the Orion ruins ("What Are Little Girls Made Of?"). Orion smugglers raid Coridan for dilithium crystals, and when discovered, both and Orion spy destroy themselves ("Journey to Babel"). [..snip!..] Orion also has pirates. The planet tries to maintain an air of neutrality, but it is a thinly veiled license to pray on anyone ("The Pirates of Orion"). Kirk, Spock and historian Erikson go through the time portal into the past of Orion to study it firsthand ("Yesteryear"). Kirk and Mendez seem slightly regretful that they have no personal experience with Orion slave girls ("The Menagerie").
� Orion colony: An area of Orion inhabited by a variety of species, several of which are humanoid and intelligent: the golden-skinned interpreter of the laws, Devna ("Time Trap"), Thelev ("Journey to Babel"), Orion pirates ("Pirates of Orion") and the semi-intelligent, green-skinned, tailed Orions ("The Cage"). The vile business may be eradicated, to judge from the lack of reference to it by Thelev ("Journey to Babel") and Marta ("Whom Gods Destroy").

My guess would be that the planet Orion is that officially neutral world, perhaps with an old Earth colony gone corrupt (which isn't unusual in Kirk's days), and the Orion Syndicate is basically it's mafia, with a lot of influence on a number of planets (like DS9's Farius Prime) and sponsoring pirating, smuggling and the trade in sex slaves. It would seem that Orion has to have something valuable to it that would ensure it's 'neutrality' towards the Federation, despite ovbiously supporting criminals.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Trek's Orion and the stellar constellation are in no way related to each other? Like the 'real' Rigel and 'Trek' Rigel?
The planet itself could indeed be independent. We heard that the Klingons had their own embassy on the planet Miles visited. If the planet is an Orion colony (maybe like New Sydney where the Syndicate seems to have some influence, too) or something similar it would make sense. Did we ever hear about Klingons or other species having embassies on Federation worlds outside earth? I don't think so.
Furthermore, if earth and other Federation planets are indeed so paradise-like, why did that planet's capital look like a huge slum? From our definition, it can hardly be a Federation world.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt most colonies are a paradise. There are quite a few colonies that have gone bad (for example Tasha Yar's colony).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To each his own. It is equally strange to me that primitive and often narrow-minded rural communities would be the norm for Federation worlds, but that seems to be the case for late TNG and DS9.

Do embassies/consulates on DS9 count? There are several, according to the in-joke-infested information screen and some dialogue (including the Tholians, to get back on the subject). Are those embassies to the UFP, or to Bajor, or merely there for the convenience of travelers from Gamma?

Do Vulcans in the UFP still have an embassy to Earth, since they have an ambassador? Uhura was supposed to go there in ST3 in the novelization, but the reference may not have made it to the screen. I'd assume there are embassies and consulates everywhere, criscrossing political alliances and lines of battle in an unholy mess.

Timo Saloniemi

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
I, personally, think the Orions deserve the same treatment as the Andorians have gotten...and not to sound like a broken record, the same with the Tellarites. When it really comes down to it, they could add these two species easily, as well as continue with the Tholians and Andorians, leave the Romulans alone for the next 3 years and forget the Klingons altogether and there is certainly enough material here to work with to create some gold, true to a prequel. [Smile] Instead of our consistant run-ins with species and technologies and prison ships that have no place in Enterprise.

Oddly enough, I was talking with my friend (and renowned fan) Alex Rosenzweig about the possibility of more TOS "throwaway" races being used in Enterprise at the weekend. Forget putting Archer up against the Borg, as the current rumours suggest - some of our posters have hit the nail on the head with the suggestion that other races could be more fully fleshed out.
After all, Trek series VI might well be a Cage-era show, or the Captain Sulu series, or something requiring a new depth to the many background touches of TOS.

Coincidentally, when I was writing the story for "The Great Starship Robbery", an episode of the Hidden Frontier fan series, not only did I create an Andorian villain and a major reference to the Orion Syndicate (and this was in late 2000!), but one of the very early drafts featured a crewmember being cosmetically altered to go undercover in an Orion weapons smuggling ring.
Of course, it was just a cheap gag to get the cast's resident Baywatch Babe into a bikini and cover her in green body paint, but I'll bet you a tall frosty one that someone from UPN will read this and say "Hey, someone find out how much makeup we'll need to turn Jolene Blalock green!" [Razz]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Orions... The green-skinned guys in TAS may have had their name spelled "Orion", but it was pronounced "OR-ee-onn", not "oh-RYE-on", like in every single other instance, including other mentions by the TOS characters.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps