Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 7)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's silly.

Talking about silly, there's also the Shamin Priests from O'Ryan's Planet from TMP [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course, the Aamazarites (or Therbians), the Arcturian clone army (hmm, refugees from SW Ep II?), the Rigelian sabre-toothed turtles, and the numerous other minor races seen on the rec deck. Not to mention the guy on the bridge with the severely enlarged cranium, the Deltans...

Or, for that matter, the many races seen thus far only in Trek novels. I bet modern effects technology would produce a nifty rendition of Diane Duane's crystalline bastard-offspring-of-a-spider-and-a-porcupine, the Hamalki!

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhh....fandom overload!!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're going to canonize aliens from the books lets at least do the Thalollians (at their peak no less!).

....we could also see future fed members the Cordians.

....though please god, no Betazoids!
(even their name is lame enough to be a japanese cartoon spinoff!)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
If we're going to canonize aliens from the books lets at least do the Thalollians (at their peak no less!).

....we could also see future fed members the Cordians.

....though please god, no Betazoids!
(even their name is lame enough to be a japanese cartoon spinoff!)

We already saw the Coridan's in "Shadows of P'Jem", and I would rather see the Betazoids than whatever this weeks "alien of the week" is... [Frown]

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:

The Motion Picture aliens and their names are NOT fandom. All that info comes from behind-the-scenes notes by Fletcher and err.. someone else.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
quote:

The Motion Picture aliens and their names are NOT fandom. All that info comes from behind-the-scenes notes by Fletcher and err.. someone else.
Actually, I was referring to Starbuck bringing in all of this novel references in. I'm fully aware of all TMP references.

And while we are on that topic, the Star Trek Phase II Book...is that considered in any way canon? I ask this because Mark Lenard's Klingon Character, named so cleverly "Klingon Captain", in TMP movie credits, was named "Commander Barak" in the script shown in the Phase II Book. Would this be considered semi-canon, at least, just to give the poor Amar captain a true identity?? Or should this just be another classic case of: "to each his own"?

[ February 26, 2003, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

There's no canon name for him, so you could call him whatever you want [Smile] Although the original script probably carries more weight than mere speculation.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Barak is canon, Vkruk is canon, too! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:

Who?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:

Who?
The Reman Viceroy. From the novelisation of Nemesis. Obviously, we're supposed to believe that's his name.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, I was referring to Starbuck bringing in all of this novel references in. I'm fully aware of all TMP references.

I just think bringing the novels in, where feasible, would be a good way to expand the franchise. As I understand it, Paramount owns the rights to all the Trek novels, which - along with the movies and the various Marvel and DC comic series - were the prevalent source of Trek in the 80s.
Some of them were actually very well done, and could lead to very interesting plotlines for TV episodes, and a lot of retconning.

But I Digress... (TM)

The problem is, if we throw too many species in the melting pot, they risk becoming part of the lousy "Alien of the Week Syndrome". Whilst we can't expect every race to be developed to the same level as the Bajorans or the Klingons, it'd be nice to see the Tholians or Orions expanded upon. And admit it, we all want to see the green dancing girls [Wink]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:

Who?
The Reman Viceroy. From the novelisation of Nemesis. Obviously, we're supposed to believe that's his name.
However Barak isnt from a novel, he is from a script to a Star Trek series that never was. True it was never "on screen", but production work was done on it, scripts were written for it, and were used in one capacity or another. Had plans for Phase II gone through, this discussion would be null and Barak would be just as canon as Kang, Koloth and Kor.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that if they do bring in species from the novels then they'd have to pay the author. And they can't have that now can they.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my yes, pity the plight of the poor Star Trek novelists. So put upon! All they seek is artistic purity. Why, I bet they write those books for free! And, even if they didn't, there are a billion and thirty free Star Trek novels on the Web. They should just pay those authors and use their stories. Yes. I can't wait. The excitement is burning me up inside.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps