Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 10)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Go here, you'll be impressed, I promise!

Even worse than the cardboard box look of the SFB ships!
Awful.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
"humanoid cat creatures in pink jumpsuits should not be incorperated into Trek"

You don't mean that catgirl from ST:V, do you?

Hmm... Catgirls. Furries anyone?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But female Kzinti aren't sentient... And what's the concrete proof that "Arena" was first contact with the Gorn?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing concrete that it was first contact, nor is there anything even subtle that would indicate the contrary. I just believe that the Gorn is a facet of Trek-lore that does not need to be explored, as we previously have established that there is plenty of other fruit on the vine for the writers to pick from.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...yeah. Like the Borg. [Roll Eyes]
I just really really wanna see the Telerites done well.

..and I want Porthos to come back.
"Dogs don't know it's not bacon!"

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do I, but aside from owning tons and tons of freighters they havent really built up anything on them yet. Don't they have somewhat of an ornary demeanor similar to the Andorians?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Starbuck:
About the Gorn, I was referring to the fact that "Arena" made it quite clear that the Cestus III attack was the first contact the Federation had made with them. Therefore, they are not suitable candidates to appear on Enterprise

D'oh.
I've not seen the episode in some time, so I concede to your superior knowledge.
Then again, the NX-01 has already encountered the Ferengi, and we already know that first contact with them was made by... Jean-Luc Picard! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
So do I, but aside from owning tons and tons of freighters they havent really built up anything on them yet. Don't they have somewhat of an ornary demeanor similar to the Andorians?

It could have been just that one little piggy with a bug up his butt.
DS9 showed us some really bitchy Federation Ambassadors too.
....and there was the one that Sisko punched.....
...and Luwaxana Troi. She's no gem either.
In fact, now that I think of it, all the ambassadors shown seen to be childish, whiney jerks. [Big Grin]

I think I recall a Telerite engineer from one of the Trek novels, but that's not....wait for it....
...wait for it...
...."canon".
[Razz]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's in your personal canon?
No, wait, don't tell me...

...canonballs [Razz]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well....gee, Starbuck....I don't hardly know you and you want to see my personal canon...
[Eek!]

Sorry, I keep that one solely for the ladies. [Wink]

...and the Tholians, of course.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Enterprise is dead in space: stopped cold during her pursuit of an alien raider by mysterious forces. And I have been somehow whisked off the bridge and placed on the surface of an asteroid, facing the captain of the alien ship. Weaponless, I face the creature the Metrons called a 'Gorn': large, reptilian."
"I am engaged in personal combat with a creature apparently called a 'Gorn'."
-Captain Kirk, "Arena"

Obviously, Kirk had never heard of them before. And the bridge crew looked rather surprised when the Gorn captain first appeared on the viewscreen. But, otherwise, there's technically no proof that it was a first contact. Only that the Enterprise crew weren't familiar w/ them.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, then again, one would suspect that the Enterprise crew would be briefed on all lifeforms known to the UFP at the time. What with being on the edge of known space and stuff.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye the Gorn made initial First Contact with the UFP inly yo be dismissed as obscene callers:
...all that heavy breathing and hissing over the channel....

I'm hoping we don't see the Gorn....but betting that we do in the next sweeps week. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTOH, it would be great to see the Gorns done with current VFX. I hope they come up with a really good excuse to show them [Razz]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the nature of one of the long-running story threads in the show, there's no reason any Gorn shown would have to be from the 22nd century.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps