Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise-A has a different bridge and in ST:V we see that the shuttle bay looks different then the wide open bay seen in ST: TMP. I like the shuttle bay as seen in ST:V, but I'm wondering what the change does to the cargo bay. Has anybody noticed any other major changes? I'm getting stuff togeather to make a cut-a-way model set to the ship as shown in ST:VI.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would expect several internal changes since it's a completely different ship and, argueably, built in the new configuration instead of being refit. I believe the bridge units can be swapped out... so that doesn't bother me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Anti Spark
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that mean None of the ship was used to rebuild enterprise?
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of what ship?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean, "What of the TOS Enterprise was used in the refit to the Movie Enterprise?"

I read somewhere that if a ship was rebuilt with more than either 30 or 70% of new materials (I think I read this when the Constellation was being refitted in Baltimore a few years ago) then it was considered a new ship.

So, therefore, the movie Enterprise incoporates 30 to 70% of the same material it did in TOS. However, that doesn't mean it was melted down or used in a different function or what not.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, ST:VI mentions a crew of 300, compared to the 500ish of TMP (and 430 of TOS), and yet, in TUC, we see the junior personnel in a barracks-type berthing, instead of the 1-4 person cabins shown previously, so all that space saved from crew quarters must have been used for something else.
It also appears that the wardroom and officer's lounge was removed, and the briefing room now serves that function when needed.
Then the brig from ST:V was moved to the lowest deck, if you can believe ST: The Magazine.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, yes. I have that TMP cut away poster, but I should collect data from the magazine. Anybody got good references to the inside of the E-A? Bonus browny points for posting pictures or picture links.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would expect several internal changes since it's a completely different ship and, argueably, built in the new configuration instead of being refit. I believe the bridge units can be swapped out... so that doesn't bother me.
Then again it could be another Constitution class ship that was refitted like the E-Nil. I don't think she was that special at the time.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really think the internal differences between E-nil-refit and E-A are that major. The bridge is re-carpeted and re-consoled and the turbolift end stations moved one notch - but the bridge was probably built for that kind of redecorating to begin with. Either through simple replumbing of the innards (which is easy since the bridge comes in modular wedges, some of which are seen hanging slightly loose in TOS!), or through changing the module (a nifty if noncanon concept).

The shuttlebay in turn need not be radically altered. All we need is a physical bulkhead to separate the landing bay from the cargo bay and hangar area, instead of a forcefield. This need not affect the functionality of the interiors a bit, because the new bulkhead has shuttle-sized doors to it, too. The big cargo hold and the hangars could still exist beyond those doors. And could have been there even in the TOS ship, for all we know. (Alas, there were no shuttle-sized doors there back then...)

Yes, a turboshaft has to be re-inserted between these doors, but that won't be a major change given how malleable turboshafts are anyway. In fact, I'd think the E-A simply got less of a refit in this area than the E-nil, and retained more of the TOS structures, including that central turbo. (Yes, I assume the E-A was a TOS Constitution in a previous life.)

As for the bunking issue, we never saw how enlisted people bunked in TOS or the earlier movies. The lowest-ranking person whose cabin we visited was Lt. Ilia. Or Lt. Uhura in TOS. For all we know, people from Ensign down were kept in chains in the bilge tank.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I have the Ent-A cutaway poster that came with the ERTL kit... but it's at home and I can't scan it right now.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-A also had different configurations for its torpedo launch bay, sickbay and main engineering (not much of a surprise for the last two, given that they were redresses of the E-D sets).

And, of course, the equipment Starfleet stole from the TARDIS so they could fit 78 decks into the hull. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
And, of course, the equipment Starfleet stole from the TARDIS so they could fit 78 decks into the hull. [Roll Eyes]

Well if its good enought for the Enterprise E...

*cough* Deck 29 *cough*

TheWoozle
Member # 929

Here's a couple pics for my cut-a-way project, including a nice artwork of the new landing bay and a cut-a-way poster pic. Woozle's Enterprise Cut-a-way :

[ March 12, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: TheWoozle ]

--------------------
The Woozle!

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
As for the bunking issue, we never saw how enlisted people bunked in TOS or the earlier movies. The lowest-ranking person whose cabin we visited was Lt. Ilia. Or Lt. Uhura in TOS. For all we know, people from Ensign down were kept in chains in the bilge tank.

Timo Saloniemi

True, we never saw them, unless Yeoman Rand is considered such (Yeoman is an enlisted rate, and I've seen her mentioned as enlisted before, or as making the jump to commissioned officer).
But the only sources we had (blueprints) showed 10 or 2 officers to a stateroom, with lower ranks 2 to a room in a suite arrangement, where they shared their head with a second 2-place cabin.
Then consider that the crew went from 201 in the Cage to 430 in TOS to 500 or 515 in TMP, and back down to 300 in TUC. Even if we just never saw the open-bat berthing before, that's still a fair amount of space that could be re-used for other purposes.
And I'm not even getting into the officers-only idea...

--------------------
Darkwing
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
[email protected]

Darkwing
Member # 834

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I have the Ent-A cutaway poster that came with the ERTL kit... but it's at home and I can't scan it right now.

Is it really any different? I have the cutaway of the refit E-nil that came out at the opening of TMP, and when I saw the E-A cutaway poster in the store, the only difference I could see was that they had added the letter A to the registry. The rest of the poster was the same cutaway Kimble had done in 79. Did they do a new one for the kit, or was it a copy of the poster?

--------------------
Darkwing
[email protected]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps