Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful, we don't want to have him cowering in a corner to soon, heh heh.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

goose814
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first time here and I would like to add a few things. A must have source of reference are the "Starlog Photo Guidebooks: Special Effects, Vol. 2 & Vol. 5"

Vol.2 has a short article at the end about the Enterprise designed for ST:TMP. It contains numerous preproduction drawings as well as a cross-section of the secondary hull by Andy Probert showing 5 decks in the dorsal & 7 decks in the hull with what looks like room for an additional deck under the botanical garden.

Vol.5 contains a long article written by Andy himself. He descibes his designs for ST:TMP and for ST:TNG. It also contains many preproduction sketches & drawings. Several of which I've never seen anywhere else.
One illustration shows Andy's version of what the Rec Room could have looked to fit the contours of the saucer & its concave lower section. I tend to like this version better than the filmed one.
Another drawing shows a side view of the saucer, dorsal, & part of the secondary hull. Two interesting things about this is that, one, it depicts the ship prior to having the self-illuminating lights designed into it, and two, he shows the primary hull divided into 8 decks.(Bridge, VIP housing, 2 decks in the upward slope, 2 decks in the rim, & 2 decks in the downward slope).
One other interesting item is about the lifeboats for the Refit Enterprise In the text he describes his designs for the Enterprise-D. He states ..."I added a series of visible lifeboat covers (as opposed to graphic markings on the movie Enterprise} to the ship which alluded to the ship's capacity of 3,500."...
Thus the hatches along the outer edge are the personnel hatches & the numerous ones just in from those are the lifeboat covers he alludes to.

One last item is the cargo deck/shuttle bay. In the book "The Art of Star Trek" on pages 166 & 167 are two photos/matte paintings of these areas. Just forward of the elevators and above the lower cargo pod alcoves is a large rectangular opening. If you look to either side of this you can see what appears to be segmented door sections, and along the lower edge what looks like door tracks. This, it seems, would allow the cargo deck to be isolated from the shuttle bay.

I hope this wasn't to long winded. Just my two cents worth based on some of my research. Hope it helps.

IP: Logged
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome "goose814". Thanks for the info on the "Starlog" issues. I need to write this issue numbers down and add them to the list of info I want to have in my reference library!
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to thank "Griffworks" for showing me how funny it is when you put another members name in quotations, because i imagine you doing the "finger quotations" thing when you are talking.. i really "appreciate" it..

any chance of anyone gettin' scans of this for us?

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh, you should see him at star trek cons, trying to do finger excersizes while meeting people.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]
thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Shane, you mentioned that MSG was trimmed by 20-something pages, by the publishers. Any chance of finding out what tidbits where cut?

The trimming of the page count occurred while the book was in the early stages, before much of it was completed. Some drawings (such as the boarding ramp section) had been done, but many other items existed only on the page breakdown outline.

As I recall, among the items cut were some TMP uniforms, the thruster suit, the TMP wrist communicator and tricorder, a complete set of fold-out deck plans (I was about halfway done with those), Decks 1-3 exterior elevations, an officer's lounge elevation, a turbolift interior display diagram, a main engineering elevation, and hangar bay elevation and plan views.

I don't recall what else...it's been a while.

Shane

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dupe post...sorry...see below

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thelastguardian:
As I recall, among the items cut were some TMP uniforms, the thruster suit, the TMP wrist communicator and tricorder, a complete set of fold-out deck plans (I was about halfway done with those), Decks 1-3 exterior elevations, an officer's lounge elevation, a turbolift interior display diagram, a main engineering elevation, and hangar bay elevation and plan views.

As to the turbolift interior display diagram, were you privy to the diagram seen in the turbolift in TMP?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

Sure do wish that others tuff had been done. Shane Johnson deck plans would be OOBER!

--------------------
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

"OOBER"?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOBER as in the German word �ber, which means something like THE BEST in this context.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, OMFG taht si teh sh1tz0rs!!1! w00t w00t!`!!
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"�ber" means "super"

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
OOBER as in the German word �ber, which means something like THE BEST in this context.

< Franz Liebkind>

Deutschland, Deutschland, �ber alles!

< /Franz Liebkind>

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps