Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
My bad, your right. I put that there so that I could access it at work, as well as at home, not so much for public access. When I get to work on the actual model, those pics will replace it. I will remove that as soon as I get home. My apologies.

When did you plan to remove that image? It's still on your site.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
You mean the warp nacelles? They were torn off when it crashed into the shuttlebay, IIRC.

Yeah, I know they were sheared off. I'm not sure when that screencap was from the movie. I thought it was when Kirk, Spock, and McCoy first arrived from Earth, but now that I think about it, they used the side hatch then and the screencap shows the aft hatch down. Oops.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOP, I'm sorry, I did remove it.. but I removed the wrong one. My bad. That IS a very nice and useful image tho.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one is from their first shuttle-trip up to the ship.

-

[ April 27, 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: TheWoozle ]

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

any thoughts about my interpretations of the hatches on this studio model pic?  -

--------------------
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got no problems with it. Makes sense to me for those "holes" to be for umbilical connections, as well as the to "rectangular doors" to lead to maintenance/cargo areas.

I'm still sort of torn about the "life boat" hatches, tho. I didn't get to that part of the movie this evening, but I seem to recall that we see the "room" where Kirk, Ilia, Decker, Spock and McCoy go up to the upper hull of Enterprise in ST:TMP. There's nothing there which would indicate that it's a "way-point" for life boats to go thru before ejection.

Of course, there's also nothing to say that there are only a few of those "docking" hatches like they use in ST:TMP and that the rest are indeed for life boats. I sort of envision an area where four - or maybe more - life boats line up in a sort of "plus sign" and then are moved into the "hatch area" before being ejected from the ship. Does that make sense?

TheWoozle
Member # 929

I wouldn't want to evacuate that ship in a hurry. On the ERTL model, there are several small square hatches that would include the 'inspection hatch' seen in TMP (HERE), and there are also a series of larger squares, for hatches, all around the circumferance of the main hull, which would only really make sense as life boats.

--------------------
The Woozle!

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
--There ARE two decks at the outer rim of the saucer, the lower of which is deck 7
--The dorsal appears to have one extra deck that doesn't match Andy Probert's cutaway...but that "deck" isn't shown flashing in this sequence
--The aft third of the torpedo deck is in the "dark color" that seems to indicate an unihabited area
--The layout of the cargo deck and hangar deck conform to Andy's cutaway, except that the bay isn't as tall as it in shown in the film...I presume because this animation was done before the cargo bay matte was designed
--If one takes this as accurate, the ship has 21 decks total

Although this animation was shown in TWOK, it was actually made for TMP, and appears in one of the TV spots for the film.

There are indeed 21 decks in the ship.

Shane

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, the decks in the primary hull are 9' high, while those in the secondary hull are 12'. This was pointed out to me during the writing of MSG, and my own research verified it. These dimensions also are shown true when taking the ship's theoretical outer dimensions into account and working inward.

The two decks at the rim of the saucer are Decks 6 and 7, just as with the TOS Enterprise, and the fact that two decks exist here is shown clearly within the Rec Deck. Whether that room 'fits' into the ship or not is irrevelant -- the clear intent of the filmmakers was that the saucer rim is two decks high.

The intent also was that the intermix shaft terminates with the deflection crystal on top, and with the matter/antimatter storage unit at the bottom. Kirk's view while peering down the shaft from the upper level of engineering, while not conclusive, supports this. I'd love to find a valid way to account for the corridor outside the main engineering level, but in trying to force a fit I believe the price is too high.

Shane

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
I got no problems with it. Makes sense to me for those "holes" to be for umbilical connections, as well as the to "rectangular doors" to lead to maintenance/cargo areas.

I'm still sort of torn about the "life boat" hatches, tho. I didn't get to that part of the movie this evening, but I seem to recall that we see the "room" where Kirk, Ilia, Decker, Spock and McCoy go up to the upper hull of Enterprise in ST:TMP. There's nothing there which would indicate that it's a "way-point" for life boats to go thru before ejection.

Of course, there's also nothing to say that there are only a few of those "docking" hatches like they use in ST:TMP and that the rest are indeed for life boats. I sort of envision an area where four - or maybe more - life boats line up in a sort of "plus sign" and then are moved into the "hatch area" before being ejected from the ship. Does that make sense?

That's really the only way it could work. If the majority of square hatches on the upper surface of the primary hull are indeed lifeboat hatches (and that makes good sense), the boats themselves would have to be stacked or arranged in rows in order for the crew to abandon ship in rapid fashion. It's interesting that there are no secondary hull lifeboat hatch markings at all, despite the fact that we know there are lifeboats there.

Shane

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

The TMP and STV Enterprise hangar bays differ because Shatner wanted something closer to the bay seen in TOS, as opposed to the concept seen in the first film. The two are quite different, even in little ways.

I doubt the STV version of the ship would have the extended cargo deck seen in TMP, since there is no ease of access to the hangar aft. We know there is a landing control room high on the bay's forward wall, and any space above that is too restrictive to allow practical cargo flow, given a door up there. I believe there are two doors on the forward wall, but these still would seem too restrictive for cargo flow on the level we saw in TMP.

Shane

[ May 02, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: thelastguardian ]

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps this is why the "doors" - those symbols/outlines - were added to the SFX model's underside secondary hull starting in ST:V? They're very much like those on the TOS version of the filming miniature. Perhaps they're meant to represent hatches for supply/replenishment, as we have on the later ships such as the E-D.

Just a thought there, and not an original one, I'm afraid. [Wink]

TheWoozle
Member # 929

LastGuardian, what do you think of my theory, that the shuttle bay and cargo deck, as seen in the beginning of ST:TMP was unfinished, to facilitate outfitting and the shuttle bay, as seen in ST: V was the finished shuttle bay? I know that there is no cannon support for this, but it does make sense.

--------------------
The Woozle!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't look like there are many turbolifts going near The Rec Deck.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Doesn't look like there are many turbolifts going near The Rec Deck.

I dunno...according to this...

-

...one curved horizontal shaft might go right through the room!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps