Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oop, thanks for pointing it out, I was in a rush to put them up and didn't notice the BMP.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking at some screen captures I made of some displays from TMP and TWOK and I think I'm going to take some of the images and try to line them up and make a sort of MSD for the refit Enterprise, because between all the digramns you can actually see on-screen evidence of deck numbers and the extact paths of the turboshafts. I'm going to go back to the pan and scan laserdiscs I have for some of the material because the images are larger there.

A couple of off-hand observations:

1. The two turbolifts off the bridge are shown to connect to two parallel shafts, which have matching parallel horizontal shafts going straight aft to the dorsal, from which only the portside shaft appears to go down.

2. The decks seem mostly consistent with Andy's cutaway, albeit there's a possible discrepancy just above the torpedo deck that might jive with Shane Thomas' drawings, but I'm trying to make sure.

I'll post some images in a few days when I get them cleaned up.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
My cut-a-way project web page has four related pics, mostly things that friends provided and the one above. The Q & R deck blueprint is fan made and should provide some interesting comment.
Cut-a-way project

Woulda been nice to have asked me for permission to reproduce my annotated drawing...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bad, your right. I put that there so that I could access it at work, as well as at home, not so much for public access. When I get to work on the actual model, those pics will replace it. I will remove that as soon as I get home. My apologies.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

I was just looking at the edge of the saucer hull and it seems to me that a single deck would be more logical, matching the main hatch, as in THIS PICTURE and the two-level windows are more decorative, then suggesting two decks, as in THIS CUTTAWAY

--------------------
The Woozle!

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was just looking at the edge of the saucer hull and it seems to me that a single deck would be more logical, matching the main hatch, as in THIS PICTURE and the two-level windows are more decorative, then suggesting two decks, as in THIS CUTTAWAY

Looking at TMP in the Rec Deck scene, there were obviously two decks in the saucer edge. The 8 Rec Deck windows, also visible on the model, are evident in the scene. There's no way the saucer can only be 1 level high at the edge decks. The Main Gangway Hatch on the portside probably has ramps or stairs to decks 6 and 7 once you're through the hatch.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

TheWoozle
Member # 929

Hmm, yes... I've been trying to look for bridge graphics that show decks.

--------------------
The Woozle!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Hmm, yes... I've been trying to look for bridge graphics that show decks.

Well, there is the red alert graphic seen in TWOK that shows the decks flashing on. I have it, but I';m in the midst of cleaning it up.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

Ok, I made THIS from the TWOK DVD...

-

I looked at it closely, and here are my conclusions:
--There ARE two decks at the outer rim of the saucer, the lower of which is deck 7
--The dorsal appears to have one extra deck that doesn't match Andy Probert's cutaway...but that "deck" isn't shown flashing in this sequence
--The aft third of the torpedo deck is in the "dark color" that seems to indicate an unihabited area
--The layout of the cargo deck and hangar deck conform to Andy's cutaway, except that the bay isn't as tall as it in shown in the film...I presume because this animation was done before the cargo bay matte was designed
--If one takes this as accurate, the ship has 21 decks total

Although this animation was shown in TWOK, it was actually made for TMP, and appears in one of the TV spots for the film.

[ March 20, 2003, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: MrNeutron ]

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

wow, that's nice! I wish we had access to the original, to tell what the text is.

--------------------
The Woozle!

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
wow, that's nice! I wish we had access to the original, to tell what the text is.

There's a real good chance that the 'text' like many of the display graphics show rows of strings of numbers.

That's a really cool gif made from that scene though.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the deck plans I made about 15 years ago. Cross section should still apply.

I managed to fit in the turboshafts 'around' main engineering.

Unfortunately, I didn't know they were going to put crewmen in bunk rooms.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
quote:

There's a real good chance that the 'text' like many of the display graphics show rows of strings of numbers.

That's a really cool gif made from that scene though.

Well, I looked at the same animation on one of the TMP trailers and each line confroms to a deck entry. Im not 100% sure every letter below is correct, but this is what the 2nd column reads like in the last frame I could make out:

DECK MCL 0013
DECK CRA 0015
DECK O3C 0016c
DECK STG 0019
DECK MLD0020

Here's a cleaned up version of the image with the deck lines drawn in. Since the deck labels flash on along with the deck that lights up, it was easy to see what deck was what. Here is the result...and as canonical as you can get to the number of decks in the refit and their position.

-

That Deck 4 is the one just above the broadest deck in the saucer is also confirmed by the "Intruder Alert" diagram made for TMP and which also appears in TWOK, which identifies the deck as 4.

Neutron

--------------------

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
Check out the deck plans I made about 15 years ago. Cross section should still apply.

I managed to fit in the turboshafts 'around' main engineering.

Unfortunately, I didn't know they were going to put crewmen in bunk rooms.

Are those plans available somewhere?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Soundeffect. It's likely that the decks and docking hatch look something like this:
-----------
---\___/---
__/___\___

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps