Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I suddenly got a brainstorm on why the numbers were so screwed up during the turboshaft scene in ST:5. Perhaps the Enterprise was docked to some starbase at the time, and it was such an extended time at dock that they decided to post the starbase's equivalent deck numbers and not the Enterprise's. -- It seems odd to me, but if the Enterprise was docked for a long enough time it might be helpful to the work crews, and they would have changed it back to the real deck numbers when they were done [which they weren't during them movie].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I postulated that a looooong time ago -- was shot down, too. I actually said that in order to get the ship out of dock, Scotty filched some of Spacedock's spare turboshaft segments.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Doesn't look like there are many turbolifts going near The Rec Deck.

I dunno...according to this...

-

...one curved horizontal shaft might go right through the room!

ahhh yes - I'm forgetting the scale of the Connie-class... that curve could go along the wall where the screen is (i.e. behind the wall) and the two 'prongs' could be near each door - like the one the senior staff enter through.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the order of the decks is reversed... and it goes up to like 80 something doesn't it?

So a space-dock has decks the height of level 7 and a half from "Being John Malkovich"!?! [Smile]

My theory is that from Cestus III onwards they were all under some Vulcan-mind-meld-induced dream-state.

Hence Uhura's feelings for Scotty coming out! [Smile]

--------------------

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One follow-up point on the Enterprise lifeboats...

As far as I know, the only graphic representation of them done prior to MSG was on the ST:TMP cutaway poster, which was what I used in determining their size, shape, and general coloration and markings (red with yellow stripes).

Given the secondary hull's 12' deck height and the stacked arrangement the poster shows, I determined each boat to be 5 X 5 X 5 feet.

Shane

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing --

I believe the intent of the filmmakers was that the entire primary hull was to serve as a lifeboat, in case of emergency. Hull separation was designed into the TMP Enterprise, almost from the word 'go.' Plan A was to evacuate the secondary hull for the primary. Those few who could not make it in time would go to Plan B, use the individual lifeboats, then would be brought aboard (or beamed aboard) the primary hull.

That appears to have been the thinking, resulting in the dearth of lifeboat hatches aboard ship. Good thing there are no icebergs out there... [Wink]

Shane

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thelastguardian:
One other thing --

I believe the intent of the filmmakers was that the entire primary hull was to serve as a lifeboat, in case of emergency.

I dunno if it was the intention of the filmmakers per se, but it sure was the intention of Andy Probert. He wrote two suggested endings for TMP that included saucer separations (drawings from one appear in The Art of Star Trek). I got to read one of them.

An interesting detail about the saucer sep...the banner that appears along the sides of the secondary hull were decals created to go at the separation line. That's why the ship's name is there in small print, as it was intended to be above the separation line. Andy said that Doug Trumbull put the decals where we know them today.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Shane... I just noticed your member number is the registry of the Constellation!! [Smile]

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thelastguardian:
One other thing --

I believe the intent of the filmmakers was that the entire primary hull was to serve as a lifeboat, in case of emergency. Hull separation was designed into the TMP Enterprise, almost from the word 'go.' Plan A was to evacuate the secondary hull for the primary. Those few who could not make it in time would go to Plan B, use the individual lifeboats, then would be brought aboard (or beamed aboard) the primary hull.

That appears to have been the thinking, resulting in the dearth of lifeboat hatches aboard ship. Good thing there are no icebergs out there... [Wink]

Shane

I'm not sure if Matt Jeffries had postulated it waaaaay back in TOS days, but the "Franz Joseph Designs" TOS Blueprint set gives us info about the primary hull being separable from the secondary hull at the connecting dorsal. I believe some sort of fan-produced material also "speculates" that the "triangles" we see on the underside of the primary hull are meant to be "landing legs" in the event of a "soft landing" on a planetary body, but you never know, since it's conjectural, at best.
thelastguardian
Member # 1017

If I remember correctly, in 'The Apple,' Kirk told Scotty to separate the hulls, if necessary, to save the ship. I'd have to go back and check to see if 'The Making of Star Trek' makes mention of the option, but I would imagine it does.

Shane

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct about both sources, Shane. There was also a second TOS ep that made mention of it. Can't remember which one, though. "The Savage Curtain," maybe?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that "The Squire of Gotho's" might mention that, as well. However, it actually might be where it's mentioned to jettison the nacelles...?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I think "The Apple" Kirk tells Scotty to Jettison the nacelles if necessary.

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane, you mentioned that MSG was trimmed by 20-something pages, by the publishers. Any chance of finding out what tidbits where cut?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Yeah, I've been hoping for a response to that very question I asked in another thread, "Woozle". Great minds think alike! [Wink]
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps