Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure this is a new poster. It's by C. Bruce Morser. Let me see if I can find his portfolio....

Here:

http://www.theispot.com/search/index.cfm?fuseaction=Portfoliopreview&StartRow=9&BarCodeNumber=I029A012

The picture sucks, but you can tell enough to see if it's the same one or not (I'm sure it isn't).

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Hmm, yes. I have that TMP cut away poster, but I should collect data from the magazine. Anybody got good references to the inside of the E-A? Bonus browny points for posting pictures or picture links.

Well, this ain't the Enterprise A, but it's the TMP ship. I posted a link to this once before, but here's one of Andy Probert's drawings from TMP with annotations by me...

-

Neutron

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And as stated before, I'd rather that the vertical intermix shaft ("impulse shaft" here) ran farther back than Probert intended, perhaps a bit aft of what in this picture is the forward bulkhead of the cargo hold.

This wouldn't violate anything on screen, since

a) we didn't see the front end of the TMP cargo hold
b) we did see the "oops" corridor" that could be easily explained by this move
c) the length of the main engineering deck and the horizontal shaft there was forced-perspective anyway, and doesn't have to be as long as shown here
d) we never saw the upper end of the vertical shaft, either, so it could very well either terminate in a big deuterium tank after one or two decks, or go up to the saucer in a staircase manner, or even follow the trailing edge of the connecting fin.

Such a placement would also nicely put the lower part of the vertical shaft above the big rectangles at the bottom of the hull, near the ventral phasers. Warp core and AM bottle downwards ejection in classic TNG manner! The shaft would then go through the middle of the arboretum, but there's nothing to prevent this.

The E-A could and should have an identical arrangement - there, too, a corridor leading forward of the vertical core is implied, due to the shape of the TNG engineering set (even if we didn't see the entire set in ST6).

The TOS arrangement could again be similar. The more room we can arrange in front of main engineering, the better, since the deflector machinery is bound to be rather voluminous (consider the deep "grooves" in the TOS ship, between the concentric cylinders that formed the bow of the secondary hull).

And the shuttlebay and cargo hold arrangements in all three incarnations could be more or less identical, give or take a bulkhead or a turboshaft. Those areas could be treated as forced-perspective mattes/sets/models on all ships, so the exact dimensions wouldn't matter much.

Timo Saloniemi

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
...And as stated before, I'd rather that the vertical intermix shaft ("impulse shaft" here) ran farther back than Probert intended, perhaps a bit aft of what in this picture is the forward bulkhead of the cargo hold.

This wouldn't violate anything on screen, since

Well, except that we did get a shot DOWN the reactor core which establishes its height. If you move it aft very much it goes right through the botanical area.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which wouldn't bother me the slightest bit. There's room down there for a central pillar that separates the shaft from the shrubbery.

And the downward extent of the shaft shown was only three decks at most (one in reality, I think, with forced perspective again applied with gusto). The thing thus could terminate above the parkland if required.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a matte painting, though I'm not sure what difference that makes for your purposes.
Timo
Member # 245

I think you think right. I think.

Another reason for moving main engineering towards the stern by some 20 meters: the aft end then has a logical reason for that curved ceiling, as there no longer is a full deck above it (Deck 13 in the above picture, but Deck 14 if the "half-deck" above the torp tubes is counted - and it apparently is, since a level marked "Deck 13" held the torpedoes in ST6).

The power shafts in the pylons should probably run along the trailing and not the leading edges in that case, but otherwise the basic structures could remain unaltered.

Timo Saloniemi

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm looking at this from a cut-a-way model prespective, what about the deflector area, what might be in there, and for that matter, what might be behind those vents on deck 13? Might they be emergancy deuturium dump vents? or some sort of exhause, as i've seen listed in places?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mean the ones just above the photorp bulge, it's a "photon exhaust" port. The idea is that something is blown out through there to cancel out any rearward momentum impart by firing off the torpedo, although I don't know how a railgun can impart any physical momentum other than to the projectile in it.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, on the engineering hull, just forward of the nacelles, below and behind the the torpedo deck.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, THOSE. Maneuvering thrusters.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Which wouldn't bother me the slightest bit. There's room down there for a central pillar that separates the shaft from the shrubbery.

That would certainly be possible, since we never got a clear look into those windows. Has anyone ever gotten a photograph of the miniture that showed the interior?

quote:
And the downward extent of the shaft shown was only three decks at most.
Nope. I checked. It's clearly five decks down, just like Andy's drawing. You can count the railings.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

I was looking at the cutaway I uploaded and looking at the things that don't fit (like the corridor coming out of engineering), and it made me think of other things that similarly don't fit with the ship's exeterior.

REFIT

TMP-The Rec Dec interior is too tall to fit into the saucer where it's intended. The turboshafts at the inboard side of the room are 3 stories tall, and the saucer at that point is not thick enough. Componding the problem is the concave part on the underside of the saucer.

TMP-The Engine room and the corridor outside don't really fit. I looked at the movie again. The corridor shown is pretty long (another forced perspective painting). So long, in fact that it would push the vertical shaft back into the cargo deck (the forward end of which can be inferred from the RED ALERT diagram in Trek 2), and it would then go right through the middle of the botanical garden. It's obvious the sets were laid out for the Phase II TV show without any idea of how they would actually fit in the ship

(Then there's the question of where the turboshaft would come down. It would have to drop to the deck above the engine room and go sideways [to the starboard, given the shape of the engine room] and then descend further. The diagram seen in the turbolift: which pretty much nails this shaft's location as being about 10 feet aft of the vertical intermix shaft as indicated on Andy's drawing.)

Then there's the officer's lounge, which reuses the same windows as the Rec Deck in the same location (and you can see the same nacelle from both). We hashed this over in a thread a while back...

1701-A

ST5--The room with the wheel has windows that don't match any exterior windows...well, maybe the Rec Deck, but those face the wrong way (as those windows in ST5 are obviously face-front).

ST5--Deck 78. The less said. the better...

ST6--The dining room (TNG obs. lounge set redress) also has windows that don't conform to any seen on the outer hull.

Those are off the top of my head, Anyone else?

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

My cut-a-way project web page has four related pics, mostly things that friends provided and the one above. The Q & R deck blueprint is fan made and should provide some interesting comment.
Cut-a-way project

--------------------
The Woozle!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't use bitmaps on your website as they take a very long time to load because they're so big. An average 800 x 600 pic is around several megabytes in size. Some of us still use dial-up access.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps