Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Internal changes between the Refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd still say that the final analysis of the red alert diagram fails to show Deck 1... The uppermost lit level would be the level *below* the bridge, and possibly because the diagram was being flashed ON the bridge!

Timo Saloniemi

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SoundEffect:
On my plans, I put the main hatch between decks, and then just had a ramp angling to it.

Middy Seafort:
Check eBay. I do have a few left - but am at present unsure as to how to market them.

Administrator:
My original post was not meant as a marketing scheme.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
I'd still say that the final analysis of the red alert diagram fails to show Deck 1... The uppermost lit level would be the level *below* the bridge, and possibly because the diagram was being flashed ON the bridge!

Timo Saloniemi

No, because the BRIDGE flashes when the DECK 01 label comes on. There is no room for a deck above that. Don't make me make a big ol animated GIF to prove you wrong. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still working on this...but here's a crude in-progress image of the refit's turbolift system, as seen in the turbolift in TMP. You can see the twin parallel turboshafts that link to the twin turbos on the bridge.

-

This is a tough image to work out because in the top view it's not always apparent what is on what deck. I made a number of captures from the film and am still tying to correlate them.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the same artwork I worked from originally. I had to do some minor adaptations, but found that the layout did actually work fairly well (such as with the rec deck).

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's wonky. I'd expect some sort of "quadrantal symmetry" in the saucer.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, we know that there are a number of compartments in the primary hull that are not symetrical, such as the reck deck and the medical bay, so that diagram was probobly made to reflect a realistic working plan, ever a symetrical one. I don't have my old FJ blueprints any more, but I assumed that the turbo lift chart was taken from that, but things like the cargo bay turbo lifts would probobly not be like that in the TOS plan.

I'm eating these graphics up, for my cut-a-way model, I would love to see any more. I've started taking vidcaps from TMP, but I need to buy the other movies too.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike's is backup, it has a great collection of internal images and graphics.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
I don't have my old FJ blueprints any more, but I assumed that the turbo lift chart was taken from that, but things like the cargo bay turbo lifts would probobly not be like that in the TOS plan.

I checked the FJ blueprints...no real correlation. The artists on the film probably did it. Maybe Lee Cole or Mike Minor.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The twin parallel shafts from the bridge to the aft rim of the saucer are an awkward solution if they are on the same deck. What could possibly lie between them?

If, OTOH, one of those shafts is on the lower saucer deck and one on the upper, then this is a case of sensible redundancy for that all-important connection between bridge and main engineering. In general, what looks like continuous shaftage in the top view should probably rather be interpreted as overlaid images of shafts on two deck. This allows for sensible corridor connections that aren't blocked by too many radial or circumferential turboshafts.

This was something the E-D blueprints got very right... Those, and many fan prints for TOS-era ships, too. But not all of them.

Timo Saloniemi

TheWoozle
Member # 929

I uploaded some vidcaps and links of the Enterprise-A shuttlebay, on my Cut-a-way model project site. I haven't seen this stuff anywhere else, it shows the set and studio model pretty well.

-

--------------------
The Woozle!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... Seems to be more of a garage or service area behing those doors rather than the giganto-cargo area.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TheWoozle
Member # 929

Yup, the Enterprise-A shuttle bay is a little different from the TMP shuttle bay. Those two big doors go to elevators, with a turbo-lift between them. Follow the link to my web page (above) to see it better. One could argue that the shuttle bay wasn't completed when the V'Ger emergancy came up, for easy cargo bay access.

--------------------
The Woozle!

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still see the same bay. Those doors, if similar to the TMP area would lead to large shuttle elevators labeled E-1 and E-2. Beyond those doors in the above photo would then lead to the large cargobay complex.

Does Shuttle 5 in the above pic have the landing skids or am I just (not) seeing things???

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
Does Shuttle 5 in the above pic have the landing skids or am I just (not) seeing things???

You mean the warp nacelles? They were torn off when it crashed into the shuttlebay, IIRC.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps