Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Shot across the bows (Page 10)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Shot across the bows
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DATES! WE NEED DATES! Specific no if and or buts dates. The madness... The Madness.

*runs away screaming*

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EXACTLY Liam! And if only Lee could see me standing up for him... but the point is, we shouldn't be so bleedin sensitive.

Frank, what Chuck did involving me DID involve the Forums. Just because I have a longer memory of the Forums doesn't mean it didn't happen. Don't try to contradict me, either. Myself, Chris, Chris, Jon, and Chuck (and Daryus, by extension of myself and the latter) can all vouch for the kind of crap that went on. (incidentally, I've both apologized for my extensive wrong-doing at the time and forgiven Charles for his overreaction, which is what more of you should learn to do, for piety's sake, we're all human, except for Simon who is, of course, a cyborg)

Charles: Always count on me to find dying embers and turn them into a raging inferno :-)

------------------
"Oh no, I know a dirty word" - Kurt Cobain
Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*points out that the Moderator's council is about as democratic as the College of Cardinals*

Except of course, we probably won't light a fire when Charles dies and lock ourselves together until we pick a new admin.

------------------
"Is this real life? Is this just fantasy?"
-Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT: I salute you. Welcome to the resistance.

Seriously though, if people had been banned for having a go at others in the way that Lee had a go at Boris, there wouldn't be anyone left to argue over it. We'd all be banned.

Stop being so sensitive about things like this, which are IMHO no big deal.

Lee was always a good admin, but he was always the way he is. He has ripped people apart before but nothing happened then. Why now? What's so different between then and now?

------------------
The line must be drawn here, this far, no further. Picard, First Contact

The line has to be drawn here, this far and no further. Quark, Dogs of War

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Seriously though, if people had been banned for having a go at others in the way that Lee had a go at Boris, there wouldn't be anyone left to argue over it. We'd all be banned."

Which is why nobody is banned for things like this anymore.

"Lee was always a good admin, but he was always the way he is. He has ripped people apart before but nothing happened then. Why now? What's so different between then and now?"

Because it's happened one too many times.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pivotal difference between what happens when we rip at each other and when an admin rips at someone is this: no matter how pissed off I get at someone I can't delete their thread or screw with their profile. Since admins are given greater responsibility, they are held to a higher standard of behavior.

--Baloo

------------------
I once lost my corkscrew and had to live on food and water for several days
-W.C. Fields
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree completely.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. OTOH< He hardly ripped into him did he? Strewth, in a country where people get shot every day, it still amazes me how upset people can get over having their nerdhood called into question.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Baloo..

I believe I said that tho' didn't I??

and I agree..

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Liam: It doesn't matter; Lee used a very mean-spirited tone.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I can keep going all night)

And how exactly do you tell a mean spirited tone from a sarcastic tone? Or a gently poking the fun tone? Over type? eh?

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, there are many ways. But admins shouldn't regularly say things that easily seem like attacks.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Of course, this reminds me of the time a friend of mine went with th eschool choir to canada. They were staying with some locals. After dinner one night, a dinner where my friedn ate everything really quickly, the mother asked him if he enjoyed it. He replied jokingly "couldn't stand it". And she was really offended.

Likewise, when he got back one day, having had to hike 4 miles with a bad hangover (I dunno why we went hiking on a Choir trip. Our Head of music was a bit weird), they asked him if he enjoyed himself. And he said that he'd had a wonderful time. And they didn't get it.

Eventually they asked him if, everytime he was sarcastic, he could put a hand on someones shoulder.

And you lot wonder why we Brits dissowned you. It's just not the British sense of humour to after every comment. You just rip the piss out of each other, and you know when it hurts because, well, it's genuinly hurtful. Saying that someone's wife is a manky, ugly bitch who can't count past the wrinkles on her neck is offensive. Saying that someone will loose nerd cred points isn't.

------------------

Geraldo Rivera

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited December 19, 1999).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU disowned US? We fought a war just to get away from you!

Oh, yeah, before I forget...

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truth is they just got tired of americans, and stopped sending soldiers. You notice they kept Canada.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps