Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Shot across the bows (Page 7)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Shot across the bows
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lance, you were using arrow brackets to say something on the forums. These forums are HTML sensitive. You started that (unseen) sentence with "I just want to say something........" Remove those Arrow brackets and replace them with normal ones. And don't use square brackets as well, cuz you'll end up activating unintended UBB code........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orion: Lee himself wanted his profile removed, not anyone else.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we staying calm? Yes. Let's stay that way.

to be fair to Lee, being fired for doing something that he considers part of his job, and not to be informed first, probably didn't put him in a good mood. Worse, to have it announced on the forums first probably didn't help much.

You see, this is why more discussion needs to take place amoungst the people in charge...

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insulting people was not part of his job.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CC screws up again. *sigh*

------------------
"Shoes, yes. Definately. Shoes."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I disagree.

IMO, those who want Lee to return here should email him and tell him. I certainly will.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense. The only problem now is that Lee isn't here. Solution: convince him to come back. What's his address?

1/2:

Works for me!

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

[email protected]

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*commences holding breath*

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he does want to come back, all he needs to do is drop me a mail to reactivate his profile...

------------------
"Shoes, yes. Definately. Shoes."

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to thank Lance for being very honest.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, sorry to ressurect a dead thread, but I just got here. I skimmed through the posts (it's late) and of course I read Liam's, as he's the funniest wanker I know.

Anyway, I have so much more experience in this area than any of you could imagine, except Chuckie (that'll still get me suspended, yes?). Me and him have had our spats, much like, oh, Hitler and Stalin had their spats. I know more than any of you how he can fly off the bleeding handle like crap out of a goose (sorry, I was watching Patton). He's ripped me more than once, suspended my ass, kicked me out of the Behaviour Group, stripped me of all priveleges, banned me repeatedly... been a general jerk. Yet, I still respect him (wait... why?, just kidding Chuck)

Likewise, I've had some contact with Lee. Heck, he's so much like me, it's amazing we went so long without a shouting match. As some of you may remember, my arguement with him in a chat helped prompt me to leave. That was when I made the comment of something like "What does he know, he's just a computer repairman?" or something equally offensive. Lee is abrasive. That's what is so fun about him (that and his encyclopedic knowledge of carnality). I read the post in reply to Boris, and I thought that was the nicest thing Lee ever posted here (incidentally, I would've been much crueler, hence the reason Chuck never made me an admin, well, that and the whole hatred we have for each other).

Okay, what do I think about the matter? Chuck needs to cool out. I've been telling him that for how many years? Lee needs to... well, not change at all. I don't see him doing anything wrong, unless being a jerk is wrong, and if it is, I'm in big trouble. I think Chuck should no longer make unilateral decisions. The admins should form some sort of parliamentary system.

And yes, I know this is "CC's forum" but as Chuck will likely acknowledge, if you all left, he's not going to have a forum. As Rage once said, sieze the metropolis, it's you it's built on. I'm not saying you should overthrow Chuck, but he needs to be reigned in by some sort of parliament of admins. He's a wonderful admin, but one with a bit of a temper and prone to bad decisions when he is angry. That's why our blow-up was so damned brilliant, cause I'm exactly the same way (I swear, if we worked in an actual office, me and Chuck would've bludgeoned each other to death with starship models).

Now, I'm sure halfway through this post, Chuck will have the impetus to ban my ass. If he does, that's completely understandable, as I'm intentionally trying to be more offensive than Lee. But I hope he doesn't. And I am sure that as Chuck ages, he will mellow. Hell, _I_ mellowed!!!! (granted, I smashed most of my brain cells through head-banging, so I kind of had to become more vegetablesque). Sod, if I can mellow, Chuck and Lee should be Cheech and Chong before the year is out.

BTW, Liam, I think Frank's response about you liking abuse was an indictment of your S&M lifestyle. Looks like someone found the reciepts for the dominatrix there Liam... (crap, if I don't get banned for this post, Lee should be bleeding commended for his)

------------------
"Oh no, I know a dirty word" - Kurt Cobain
Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"I don't see him doing anything wrong, unless being a jerk is wrong..."

It is if you're an admin.

"And yes, I know this is 'CC's forum' but as Chuck will likely acknowledge, if you all left, he's not going to have a forum."

Correct. That's his motivation for doing a good job, and for removing Lee as admin.

"I think Chuck should no longer make unilateral decisions. The admins should form some sort of parliamentary system."

OTOH, do the admins have any intrinsic motivation for doing a good job? From what I've seen, they don't.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited December 15, 1999).]

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So being a jerk automatically makes you ineligible for being an admin. That's a load of bollocks, and you know it. If that was the case, I'm sure that in their own way, most of the admins here would be ineligible. (no offence meant to anyone).

I think that nearly everyone on these forums can be real bastards (including me) when we want to be. It's human nature. Why does that discount you from being an admin? Lee posted a message in response to Boris' post which I still don't consider to be insulting. It was Lee being his usual self and it should never have gotten him the aggravation that he's received over it.

------------------
The line must be drawn here, this far, no further. Picard, First Contact

The line has to be drawn here, this far and no further. Quark, Dogs of War

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just spent the last hour reading all of this...
I don't know who Lee is per say. I've been around since UP1 as well..

Here there are a lot of people with a lot of different personalities. Someone will always post something that someone will not agree with.. This is a greatest place to post an opinion and have it read/heard! start a good debate.

I'm not an admin, and I'm not here to tell people how to do their job. However, I do have the benefit of being objective. So here's my objective opinion:

In one sense I agree with suspending someone that it marring a project that you spend every free minute working on. CC must spend a ton of time upkeeping this place, and building UP3 (and I look forward to that CC) (And no!!! My head's not up his ars either) .. .. And maybe he's done mistakes.. big deal... Look at Clinton for cripes sakes !!! The guy's one big screw up and he's still the President of the US. And he's got a high percentage of the popular vote too!! Jean Cr�tien, PM of Canada - oh what a mess he is!!! Leaders screw up!! It's a fact.

But, objectively speaking, if you follow the Star Trek way (cliche, I know) Picard always consults the senior staff before making a serious decision. And CC knows that..

Now ... As an admin of this place.. you have a responsibilty to be above the scwabling. If someone has a poor opinion about something you've done or said ... well .. whether you agree with it or not, apologize and try to understand why they don't agree with you and GET OVER IT. Don't take it so personally. You can't please everyone! But you don't erase someone's post or thread because they slammed you. .. that's just not right!! If it pisses you off, consult the other admin, and make a collective decision as to whether to close the thread or not ..

If I were in CC's shoes, which i'm not, but have been the head of a Networking Dept., if one of my crew was a loose canon and I couldn't trust his judgement, he's gone !! And whether CC has a temper or not.. THIS IS HIS PLACE .. right.. did that ever change?? Yes.. consult the other admins.. but if someone's can't be trusted, you can't have him/her on the crew. Again.. I'm just being objective, agree with me or not. If you wanna slam me.. go ahead... I'll smile and move on.

I have no bad opinions about anyone here. I like coming here, reading about ST and other issues here in the Flameboard and Officer's Lounge. I don't want this place going down because everyone is at everyone's throats.

I guess that's all... Hopefully this SUPER-LONG THREAD is a forum to get everyone's crap out in the open to get some healing done.

CC, Frank, and the other admins.. you're all doing a good job. Keep it up..

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps