Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » *SEVERLY PISSED OFF* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: *SEVERLY PISSED OFF*
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Q for Jubes is how much federal funding do they get. Villanova and Georgetown get federal funds and lets about everything go. Asbury gets zip and can then have strict rules.

------------------
What started in Jerusalem as a relationship, went on to become a philosophy in Athens, an institution in Rome, a culture in nothern Europe, and was turned into an enterprise in America.
-paraphrased, author unknown-

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they claim that they accept all religions, then they do, by law; it's as simple as that. Basically, unless people get in trouble for stamping a cross in the snow, it's unjust discrimination, IMO.

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited February 01, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*'Holy Grail' peasantspeak*

"Now you see what i'm on about! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Come ans see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm bein' repressed!"

Now you know. They lie. They ALL lie. When those types speak of 'freedom of religion,' what they really mean is 'freedom to be some form of Christian.'

Jubilee and her friends did NOT 'ask for it.' Saying so is equivalent to saying a woman was 'asking for it' if she was walking down the street in a halter top and got attacked by some jackass who couldn't control his testosterone. It's utter crap, and should not be tolerated. These people claim to be tolerant, but they lie. End of story.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm totally with DT on this one.

You don't go to a Mosque and expect a reading of Genesis. Nor do you go to the local 'Seventh Day Adventist' Bible school to learn about Buddha.

Religious facilities, like it or not, almost exclusively focus on their religion. It's almost a no-brainer. Catholic School = Catholic Religion. Duh.

I suppose they reason they put their 'acceptance' of other religions (or cults) in their charter, or whatnot is so that they seem not a biased as they obviously will be.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to this college because they have a good Graphics program, and because they gave me enough scholarship money to go. They were the ONLY college that had those two options.

Not everyone gets their choice about where to live or go to school.

And it shouldn't matter. If it states in their anti-discrimination policy that thye don't discriminate, then that's it. They don't.

------------------
"Permasuck, by Froboz Electric: 'We don't just make things that suck, we make things that suck, PERMANENTLY.'"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yes. I mean, they had no right to complain, obviously. But I'm just saying that I wouldn't have expected them to realize that.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jubilee already knows my views on this topic.

They were wrong, she is right (but I would have gotten a bit more belligerent about it ).

1st of 2: Damn, but I wish I could email you! You hit the nail on the head. If they say they will tolerate other religions on their campus, then that's how they must implement their policy.

Who is better qualified to determine if a symbol stamped in the snow is a Wiccan religious symbol; a campus thu... er, cop? Or the Wiccan who did the stamping?

I'd hate to see someone tell me that some thing I did in the name of my beliefs was evil and intended to cause harm. It would become a self-fulfilling prophecy, I guarantee it!

--Baloo

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 02, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*this message has self-destructed*

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited February 03, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue their pants off, Jubes. Simple false advertizing case. Someone with NO legal experience should be able to win this. Heck, I'd do it if I could.

Well, maybe not their pants off. Just get enough to pay your entire tuition to any school in the country, plus transportation costs, plus room and board. And about $25,000 extra, just for your trouble. That way, you can get your choice about where you live and go to school. UCSC, maybe (just to throw out a random school)? But I don't know why you'd want to go there...

Ohh, First's addy! Gotta save that. *WEG*

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, you're a fucking hypocrite. It's their private property.

Ultra, you and me are too much alike. If you bought the Ramones anthology today, I'll be scared :-)

------------------
"Don't have a mind" - Kurt Cobain
Breed, Nirvana

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, First, but you could've just gotten my address from my profile and mailed me. I could've then copied your addy from the header, and no-one would've had to see your address.

Wow! Now I have it, I'm afraid to use it. I might succumb to the temptation to forward every silly website I stumble across.

Don't worry, I'll restrain myself. Now where did I put those chains?

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
Come Hither and Yawn...

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

By the way, DT, if someone allows someone else on their property by way of an agreement, such as the terms stated in their campus policy, it's considered fraud to violate those terms. The only way they could legally have done what they did is to change their policy first. They would probably have to announce the change in such a way as to ensure that those affected would be very unlikely to not notice.

------------------
Come Hither and Yawn...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Exactly. It's not just morally wrong, it's ILLEGAL.

You see, most of these universities put policies like that in writing, and that is essentially a binding legal contract with all the attendees.

*Points out _someone's_ prior asertion that breaking the law is a BAD thing...*

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: Profiles don't show email addresses.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank's, Baloo. Right on target.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps