Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » *SEVERLY PISSED OFF* (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: *SEVERLY PISSED OFF*
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly.

I shouldn't HAVE to choose somewhere else.

And actually, I didn't really have a choice in colleges.... This was the one that gave me money.

And thanks for the offer, Liam....... Maybe i'll take you up on that.

Anyways, all we got was a tiny thwack on the wrist and a "Don't do that" from the dean of students. I think we actually earned her respect.

------------------
"Permasuck, by Froboz Electric: 'We don't just make things that suck, we make things that suck, PERMANENTLY.'"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, Kosh. How long ago did the War of Independence take place? Let it go.

And, going by statistics, I'd say the latter of your two options is what stops most fights in the US.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested to know, Jubes, if the college asked for your religious preference in any of their application materials. In other words, did they know you were wiccan before accepting you as a student and financing your studies?

Also, what exactly does the school's official, written policy state? Does it state that they will ACCEPT as students people of all religions, or that they will respect the right of people of all religions to PRACTICE their religion on campus?

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.. looking for a very fine sliver of semantics there?

If you accept people of different religions to attend and reside at a place, how can you NOT expect them to practice their religions there?

I mean, sure, there are "Sunday Christians" (and others) who only 'practice' their religion at church, but with ritual-driven religions (such as wicca and Islam), practice of them is a permanent fixture of life. For instance, a Jew who refuses to eat pork on campus is practicing his religion on campus.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Not sure where you were goiung with that, but...*

Asbury has the policy you described and it works; in fact, we force students to attend chapel.

Christians also fulfill what they are "commanded" to do just like any other religious people. What we are commanded to do is a little simpler; it is a part of why the practice of Christianity is so appealling.

In fact, I am fulfilling one of a Christian's jobs by posting this message.

------------------
Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great:
He was revealed in the flesh,
vindicated in spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among Gentiles,
believed in throughout the world,
taken up in glory.
*First Timothy 3:16*

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for me thank you.

I prefer the right to sleep in. why do you have to go to church anyways it is not like that is the only place to talk to your prefered deity.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said you had to go to church? I don't believe Christ ever specifically commanded it (correct me if I'm wrong, bryce). It's simply a place where we can get together to encourage each other, and maybe learn something in the process. Someone once used the analogy of a pep rally. You can live without it, but it can really help.

And there are usually services on Sunday nights and Wednsday nights, if you prefer to sleep in the morning.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it this week and I can't remember who said it, but someone did say you need to go to church. It's along the lines of you need to be with a body of believers to grow in your faith. I'll find it out.

Ok, it Hebrews 10:24,25. It says to provoke one another to love and good deeds, meet together, and encourage one another until the Second Coming.
------------------
Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great:
vindicated in spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among Gentiles,
believed in throughout the world,
taken up in glory.

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited February 17, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That doesn't specifically state that you need to go to a church.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited February 17, 2000).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

That's not a quote and that is what it is saying.

------------------
"Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great:
vindicated in spirit, seen by angels,
proclaimed among Gentiles, believed in throughout the world,
taken up in glory." -Paul

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm... Okay, as far as I know from here and without spending TOO much time looking it up, I don't think the Bible says anywhere that "Thou must attend church every sunday" or anything like that.... God isn't about the building and He isn't about the ritual of attending. He is about Love and that's what's important.

However, to back bryce up a bit, the bible DOES say that we as Christians need to gather together with other believers. So though it doesn't say "Go to church every sunday, even on the Superbowl" it does state pretty clearly that if you're going to live by the Christian doctrine then you shouldn't do it alone and should instead gather with those of like faith to gain support and to build faith....

Anyway.. yeah.. .that's how it is, as far as I know... however, I also haven't slept in days and I'm not thinking coherently... I may edit this in the morning.... TTYL....

~LOA

------------------
No, you CAN'T see my picture!

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

My point exactly; the easiest way to spend time with other believers is to go to church with them.

You need to remember too, the "church" didn't exist until some time after the death of Christ. The times the word "church" are mentioned in the gospels are related to the time in which the gospels were written and who they were written to. Going into more detail would require cracking my NT Survey open (and I don't wan t to do that).

By the way, how did we get on this? I just said the word "chapel."
------------------

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited February 18, 2000).]

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Church chaple basicaly the same thing.

If i had the choice i would not attend church. I prefer saying i quick payer at home then just heading off for the day.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was very well-stated, LOA!

The word "church" originally meant the group of people who met together. It didn't come to mean the building in which they met until they started meeting in buildings other than their own homes. It coincides with Constantine's adoption of Christianity as the state religion of Rome and the conversion of the temples of the Roman dieties into Christain meeting places in 312 AD.

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

Chapel is what my school requires us to attend. Church is just that. The two were not related in the discussion.

------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps