Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » *SEVERLY PISSED OFF* (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: *SEVERLY PISSED OFF*
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there a passage in Matt. that actually says you're supposed to pray in a closet?

And aren't these people who practice public displays of prayer on street corners (or in modern times, around flagpoles and such) referred to by JC as Hypocrates, and he says specificly NOT to do as they do?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there is: Matthew Chapter six (English New International Version, opens in a new window).

I'm always leery of people who make an ostentatious display of how religious they are. Many are just doing as they were taught (though it's still destructive, in my opinion), but some truly believe they are better than you and believe that you must follow their example to get into heaven. Watch out for those, just like you'd watch out for a dangerous animal. Whether they know it or not, they try to use God's authority to convince you to be their slave, though I'm certain that few of them, if any, would put it that way.

--Baloo

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Baloo.

(reads it)

Gee, judging from my experience, that must be one of the least-read chapters in the Bible.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, that was exactly what my lecture was about in class today.

Praying in public is bad if you want rewards (and that must be in a society controlled by your faith) {as in the historical context of the passage}. Praying and being seen is ok if you are trying to be a witness for Christ. (SYATP, ect.)

Jews of the day would go to public places at the set times (Jews would pray at certain times in the day back then) and would be seen; they were trying to gain friends, position, power, ect. We should pray to God to communicate to Him and not to pervert the prayer by using it for over means. Where we pray doesn't matter.

------------------
"Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great:
He was revealed in the flesh,
vindicated in spirit, seen by angels,
proclaimed among Gentiles, believed in throughout the world,
taken up in glory." -Paul
*First Timothy 3:16*

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited February 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited February 18, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often find myself praying while driving (and if you lived here, you'd do the same, even if you are an athiest!)

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The college states that they do not discriminate on the basis of religion or creed. And there is nothing in their handbook that says practicing our religion is not allowed. As a matter of fact, they encourage you to practice your religion, and Campus Ministry has an interfaith minister who can find you local parishes, temples, or whatever you worship in and find you ways to get there, too. I actually went down there and registered as Wiccan last year so that I could get permission to have candles in my room.

------------------
"You say don't fear your dreams, it's easier than it seems.
You say you'd never let me fall, from hopes so high.
But never is a promise, and you can't afford to lie." - Fiona Apple

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need permission to have candles in your room? Wow. do you need permission to change nighties and stuff too?

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."

Xander Harris

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you need permission for candles because they are considered a fire hazard.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

That's probably it. When I lived in the dorms, You were not supposed to have lighted candles in your room, either, although you could probably get special dispensation to use them for certain occasions as long as someone knew when they would be lit and extinguished. You had to keep anything flammable in the "flammables locker", not in your room. This included charcoal (for the grill outside the dorm) lighter fluid, and certain cleaning fluids. If you owned firearms, you had to keep them at the Security Forces armory, and sign them out when you went shooting.

The Military is very paranoid about fire safety, and, having lived in the dorms for more than half of my career and having spent many a week playing "House Mother" (Charge of Quarters or "CQ") I can see where they got that attitude. Young people away from parental supervision for the first time in their lives can sometimes get carried away when the objective is "having fun". They (not all of them all of the time, of course) can get so focussed on having fun that they do some astoundingly idiotic things in the name of entertainment, like stacking 3 mattresses on the ground and jumping off the 3d floor to land on them or making potato cannons and firing a barrage of spuds at passing traffic, to name a few. Quite often the persons responsible, once the heat of the moment has passed, ask themselves "just what the heck did we think we were doing?" If you think an adult is being unreasonable when issuing silly rules like who can have matches and when, remember that even when they are being unreasonable, they are probably basing their decision on some really stupid thing they or someone they knew did at one time or another, in an effort to prevent a repeat of past history.

Remember, they were young once, and subject to fits of temporary insanity, too.

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Yes. Most colleges ban the use of candles in dorms for most purposes. Both of the colleges I attended did so, and both had fire incidents stemming from unauthorized candle use. (this is why we follow rules, kids.)

I wouldn't be surprised if that tragic Seton Hill blaze had a similar cause.

It's very odd, though, how buildings that seem to be mostly concrete and cinder block can catch fire so easily...

------------------

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the paint used in "decorating" such establishments is highly flammable.

Such has been the cause of some blazes at my present uni.

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably. Although several idiot points to me for not realising about why candles aren't banned. That's what happens if you never have the need to create a romantic mood. Pah.

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."

Xander Harris

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Decorate the room with multiple colors of lightstick (the bend-and-shake thingies). They're quite unlikely to create a flame, and activating them is much more suggestive than lighting a candle.

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps