Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » *SEVERLY PISSED OFF* (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: *SEVERLY PISSED OFF*
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now i wish more religions would take that into consideration and not force their members to believe blindly."

This idea is the difference between a religion and a cult.

------------------
What started in Jerusalem as a relationship, went on to become a philosophy in Athens, an institution in Rome, a culture in nothern Europe, and was turned into an enterprise in America.
-paraphrased, author unknown-

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Ohh, let me write that down! Sums my views on a lot of things up quite neatly.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
E. Beatrice Hall once wrote "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Hmm. I prefer how Voltaire said it. ("I don't share your opinion, but I'll defend to the death your right to express it.")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, if he had any idea that Omega might adopt it, he probably wouldn't have said it in the first place.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, we all know my feelings on guns. (or at least we should if we've been taking notes and not eying up Liz during the lectures), but I can understand the logic of 1of2's arguments towards owning one. I don't agree, but I understand.

This on the other hand...

"I'll probably buy a gun when I'm legally old enough, just so I can make the point of the fact that I _can_ own one, and nobody's going to stop me. I would have no intention of ever using it. It would simply be a symbol of the fact that I have the right to own a gun."

If there's ever a reason to buy something that allows you to kill without even standing up, then that's it. Twat.

And just to go back to the original argument, Dt does kinda have a point. I owuldn't have shouted it from the rooftops liek that though. Yeah, the school was wrong, and illegal for doing that. But still, you can go for the quiet life can't you? If Catholic schools in theUS are anything like you lot paint them, then you'd have to be mad to express any sort of non-atholic opinion there. I'd keep my mouth shut.

Oh, and remember that this isn't a school. It's a college. Jubes chose to go there. Now, maybe they were the only ones that did her course, but if it was a Satanic school that practiced daily limb-removal-with-a-rusty-chainsaw, then it wouldn't matter if they had the highest pass rate in the country, I wouldn't go there. Even if they did promise that they understood people who liked their limbs.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Okay, we all know my feelings on guns. (or at least we should if we've been taking notes and not eying up Liz during the lectures)"

Huh?

~LOA

------------------
"Hello darkness my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again....." ~Simon & Garfunkle, The Sound of Silence

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at you, instead of listening to Liam. I do it all the time, but, I never was a good listener!!

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Given the option of verbal or visual stimulation, visual wins hands down.

And despite what she thinks, LOA is visually stimulating. If we weren't completely incompatible...
Well, no. Not that, either.
What was I talking about?

Oh, yeah.
Is being blatantly non-Christian in a Catholic college going to make you popular? No
Will it get you looked at strangely? Yes.
Will you be subjected to discriminatory treatment, regardless of the written, legal policy? Probably.
Could you just 'go with the flow'? Sure.
It that the safe thing to do? Yep.

Is it honest? No.

"This above all else... to thine own self be true. And thou can not then be false to any man."

If the choice is between wearing a false face and getting along, and being true to yourself and getting trouble... go with truth.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is correct sir. I will never conform,

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Given the option of verbal or visual stimulation, visual wins hands down."

Bingo. _Especially_ when it's a girl as attractive as Liz. And if Liz doesn't think she's attractive, she should probably know that if I knew her in real life, I probably would have asked her out quite some time ago. And I'm quite picky about women. Or maybe they're picky about me...

Whatever.

*awaits bludgeoning*

As for conformity, I'm such a non-conformist that if everyone actually agreed with me, I'd probably change my mind.

Oh, and my comment on guns: I never said I'd buy any ammo.

And if I did buy ammo, I'd keep the gun in one lock-box, and the ammo in another one. And I'd only buy the gun and ammo AFTER I'd had an extensive safety course. Safe enough for you?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine with me, but if we ever go target shooting, I'll expect you to put the ammo in the gun! (At the range, of course. )

--Baloo

------------------
"Against stupidity the very gods
Themselves contend in vain."
--FRIEDRICH VON SCHILLER
Come Hither and Yawn...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, to put what I said another way...

"I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!"

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy......... *makes note to self to work on incresing the female population at Flare so as to redirect some of the attention*

*L*

~LOA

------------------
"Hello darkness my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again....." ~Simon & Garfunkle, The Sound of Silence

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First: I wasn't saying that she should pretend to be Catholic and all that just to fit in. What I was getting at is that she could have found somewhere else. Rather than saying "go with the flow", I think a better phrase would have been "make life easier on yourself". How many freaking universities does the US have anyway? Surely the situation can't be so desperate that she's restricted to one? Don't they have halls of residence? Hell, if the situation's that bad, I'll put her up, and she can get some real education over here.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's something we yanks have laft over from the war of independence. Some body pushes, we push back, untill somebody falls, or it's time to eat, whichever comes first.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps