Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "This is not ordinary laziness... (Page 11)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: "This is not ordinary laziness...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point is, Omega, does it matter that it was expunged? George W. Bush was drunk and behind the wheel of an automobile, and nothing will change that.

Personally, I hope he lost the MADD vote.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
I'll hug your elephant if you'll kiss my ass.
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think MADD existed at the time, actually...

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd imagine that if a Republican governor was making a mess, Ritten would be afraid of what a Republican president would do ... and for good reason (sorry folks, I just don't care for the Republican philosophy ... and I doubt the Party has changed this much in the 10 years since that "blackface" scandal). I quote now freely from the New York Times (Oct. 29th):

"Mr. Bush has asked to be judged by something more than his positions. He offers himself as an experienced leader who would end the culture of bickering in Washington and use wisdom and resoluteness in dealing with domestic social problems and international crises. But his resume is too thin for the nation to bet on his growing into the kind of leader he claims already to be. He does have great personal charm. But Mr. Bush's main professional experience was running a baseball team financed by friends and serving for six years as governor in a state where the chief executive has limited budgetary and operational powers. His three debates with Mr. Gore exposed an uneasiness with foreign policy that cannot be erased by his promise to have heavyweight advisers. John F Kennedy, as a far more seasoned new president, struggled through the Cuban missile crisis while his senior advisors offered contradictory advice on how to confront a Soviet military threat on America's doorstep. The job description is for commander-in-chief, not advisee-in-chief.

"The vice-president has admitted to his limitations as a speaker. But Al Gore has a heart - and a mind - prepared for presidential-scale challenges. When it comes to the details of policy making, he will not need on the job training."

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited November 04, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Omega,

But they do now. I wonder how they're reacting to this ...

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, all this isn't going to change anyone's mind about who they vote for...and I'm not sure that it should.

But in the tit for tat politics brought on by the Republicans against Clinton and the holier than thou attitude seems to me rather disingenious at this point.

Read: The death of outrage

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK is right,especially with how buddy-buddy Bush and Engler were during Bush's visit here. Imagine what kind of laws that Engler has that he hasn't brought up here in Michigan, that his pal Bush can try to get pushed through Nationally. Like I have posted before, I don't have the want for the Government to have that much control over my life. And a Government that can stop people for no reason, other than maybe he doesn't like the looks of them,has got tobe kept from office. Mind you, if this had happened with a Democratic Gov., Senate & Legislature(sp?), and Supreme Court, then I would be voting Republican.
Omega, I guess it has to do with what I perceive as my personal freedoms and who I perceive as limiting them, and those of the three kids in this room watching TV. I want these kids of mine to have the same freedoms that I was raised with, not a party that seems to not care if they limit them. I have no choice but to think into the future, for thier sakes.

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You know what I find hilarious?

One of the arguments for owning firearms is that they would be needed if/when the government went too far in violating citizens' rights ...

Yet those very same people want to elect a political party which seems to EXCELL in limiting people's rights.

Hmmmmm.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, we're voting REPUBLICAN, remember? You know, the party that ended slavery? The party that shoved through the Civil Rights Act, against opposition by the likes of Albert Gore, Sr.? That party?

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Republican party tht ended slavery was not anything like the current Republican party.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, let's all get it together and restart the Whigs, then maybe we can get some real politicking done around here.

Our planks to our platform could be:
1. Health Care
Nationalize it.
2. Education
Nationalize it.
ooopps, I meant localize it.

Reagan was slow, but he was old.

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
Finally, there's Bush's apparent lie about the incident, when Wayne Slater of the Dallas Morning News asked him point-blank in 1998 about his arrest record -- a lie, or misstatement, that he may have been about to correct when his ever-vigilant spokeswoman Karen Hughes pulled him away from the reporter. It remains to be seen what other steps, if any, Bush took to conceal the arrest.

So, in two years he couldn't get back and "correct" his lie?

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

So many executions, so little time.

Then I got busy, what, with people pointing out internet sights that were against me and devising ways to put put limits on freedom.

Then I had to pay off the Mars Company.

What were we talking about. Oh,yeah, gotta kiss the babies.

------------------
Yep

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yes, Omega ... back in the day (140 years ago), the Republican Party and the Democratic Party were essentially reversed. The Republican Party was slanted to the left, the Democratic Party to the right. Its safe to say that if you & I had both lived back then, I'd be Republican and you'd be Democratic.

But, speaking of the Democratic Party ...

We're the Party that ended the Great Depression and World War II

We're also the Party that elected John F Kennedy into office.

Yeah, LBJ wasn't that great, but you can't exactly brag about Eisenhower, Nixon (*especially* Nixon) or Ford either.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Omega
Member # 91

"The Republican Party was slanted to the left, the Democratic Party to the right."

Good quote that applies to you. "He who fails to learn history is doomed to repeat it. He who fails to learn history correctly -- why, he is simply doomed."

The Whigs pretty well fell apart about this time. A faction split off from the democrats. Basically, all the abolitionists in the country formed the Republican party. Since the size of the federal government didn't really become the issue it is until FDR and LBJ ballooned the thing, the modern definitions of conservative and liberal really don't apply.

But no, I would not be a Democrat. I'm FOR the rights of law-abiding humans, remember? Thus, anti-slavery. Thus, Republican.

"We're the Party that ended the Great Depression"

Um, no. Hitler did that by starting WW2.

"and World War II"

Exactly how can you claim credit for that? What exactly did a democrat do that a republican wouldn't have?

"We're also the Party that elected John F Kennedy into office."

Oh, yes. Wonderful achievement. WTF did the man do that was of any import, anyway?

Let's see. Good democrat presidents of the century... Not Clinton. Carter didn't do much. You already said you didn't like LBJ, and JFK did absolutely nothing that wouldn't have been done anyway. That takes us back to FDR, the man that screwed up the federal government and placed the constitution on hold indefinitely.

At least we have Reagan and Bush on our side. :P

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I think he was killed in a Government conspiracy plotted by the CIA in which the FBI hired the FDA to hire the UAW to get a group to shoot him. His ideals never had a chance.

------------------
Yep

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps