Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Wondering... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Wondering...
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to use a light .50 cal. sniper rifle myself....

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buh? I know two people who went to Yale Divinity School...one is a philosophy teacher and the other is a corporate IS manager.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Performing this operation on replicated CDs results in blue sparks that dance along the CD, leaving fractal-ish patterns etched into the reflective aluminum. For those of you not with the program, this also renders the CD unreadable." - CD-R FAQ

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, one can go Divinity School for any number of reasons, but the philosophy is going to be theological in nature.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JK:

"Well, Omega, what is wrong with that?"

I did not say, nor did I imply, that there is anything wrong with failing out of college. Reading what you're replying to in full might be a good idea. I was responding to Sol's statement that Gore "sailed through college" in the same manner that Bush did.

"if the Republicans hadn't stolen the election"

What is your rational basis for the conclusion that the Republicans stole the election?

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pehaps Sol had another usage for "sailed." It's so hard to put that kid under a linguistic thumb.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the confusion. When I say a word, it means whatever I want it to mean.

"How curious," said Omega.

Yes. Now then, when I say sailed, I of course mean coasted through their years of higher education thanks solely to their entrenched familial ties and the large amounts of wealth they represented.

"That's an awful lot for one word to say," said Omega.

Well, work them hard, I say. Now then, what was this Jabberwock business you mentioned?

--

Divinity School Final: The Water-Wine problem. Show your work.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jabberwocky? Uh oh. Run...RUN for that giant potato and the very fat lady in the boat!

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Omega, my guy got more votes. Maybe legally he didn't win, but it seems clear to me that my guy got more votes. And further more, my guy got more votes. And did I mention my guy got more votes?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"My guy got more votes"

Of course, that's happened several times before, it's been understood to be irrelevant for well over 200 years, and the reasons for it are pretty clear to those who actually paid attention during high school civics or PoD classes, so I don't see why it should matter now. We should change all the rules for friggin' GORE?

Not to mention the penguin story.
Down in the Falklands, the penguins watch as the jets fly overhead.
Sometimes, the jets fly off to the left... and 100 million penguins' heads turn slowly left.
Sometimes, the jets fly off to the right... and 100 million penguins' heads turn slowly right.
Sometimes, the jets fly directly overhead... and 100 million penguins fall softly over onto their backs.

Moral: If 100 million people do a stupid thing, whether it's watching jets or voting for Gore, it's STILL a stupid thing.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell did you read, First?

All I said was that Gore got more votes, and you accuse me of sleeping in class and being unaware of what the electoral college is! Are you feeling insecure about Dubya going into the White House? Do you deny that Gore got more votes? What color are your nose hairs? And do you honestly think Penguins are people? if 100 million people do a stupid thing, whether its watching jets or voting for Gore

And, I believe, "His Fradulency" is the term most commonly given to Presidents who win the electoral college and not the popular vote.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 27, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Moral: If 100 million people do a stupid thing, whether it's watching jets or voting for Gore, it's STILL a stupid thing."

Moral: If people disagree with you, then they are stupid. If they agree with you, then Democracy rules, man!

But if whoever the majority voted for someone is irrelevent, then I guess Ultra Magnus has the right idea. Facism rules, man!

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see my getting people not to vote for a pres. in 2004, since our votes DO NOT count.

Now, we can tell the people running for president to only campaign those people in the EC, which would save millions of dollars every 4 years.

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

The "we at least got more votes than you" argument is really just that. It is for some a way to find some solace in the fact the Bush is the President-Elect after an unprecidented election.

And it is a fact. According the this election, more people in the country as a whole voted for Gore. And that hasn't happened all that much in presidential history.

The system is changing a bit. The 3rd parties are more able to take more disgruntled Americans into their folds. The two major parties are going to have address this if they want to survive in the years to come.

Our only hope is that someone turns off the headlights Deer-Elect Bush is standing in.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me while I pull that giant stick out of JeffK's butt!

*SPLORTT!*

Good grief man, you read nonexistent stuff into EVERYTHING, don't you? Sleeping in class? Did I EVER say you, or anyone, was asleep? Was I even making a DIRECT comment when I referred to "anyone", oh Great Definer? What, you can find all sorts of definitions for 'may,' but 'anyone' HAS to apply to YOU??

No wonder you hold the views you do. You're the Mad Extrapolator! Do you have tights and a cape to go with that crusade?

I'll forgive you your misunderstanding of the penguin story -- not everyone understands the political/literary nuances of "Bloom County."

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Oh, one last thing, and for the record...

Probably one of the most-disproved theories in history, scientifically, historically, socially, and in every other way, is "the majority is right."

Being in the majority only, ONLY means that you have more warm bodies to throw at the other side. It would still mean the same thing even if the Demoncrats won.

Liam:"Moral: If people disagree with you, then they are stupid."

Yes, we've already established that. Well, not stupid, per se, but generally lacking in some area, whether it be logical reasoning, crucial informational data, perspective, or what-have-you. But ALWAYS lacking.

------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps