Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The China Fiasco (Page 10)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The China Fiasco
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Liam imitated the typical guy who overuses the word "gay", in online gaming, for instance. Ace not picking up UM's joke has nothing to do with gay.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited April 11, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heartily congratulate myself on the ruckus I have created.

Now, on to the responses.

Ace: Racist? Not I. My best friend is even white. So am I. Although not racist. My friend isn't either. Responding to lamebrain ignorant comments about taking China hard and fast, and generalizations about Chinese culture? I.

Liam: If we use that as the judge, then the majority of this thread is gay. And so is everyone I've ever met.

Ace, Part II: Again, I had nothing to do with the whole 'unfunny = gay' determinant that Liam has invented. Again, I am not a man who is not friendly to the races. One who attempts to parodize those who are, yes.

JeffKardde: Deprecating? Liam, you and I should be very proud.

Infinity: Without retyping the posts to Ace, I will say that the answer here would be the same as those, had I not posted them first. And what's this about me being against you since you came here? I don't even recall replying to you recently at all. I think you're a tad paranoid.

The_Tom: Thank the Black Jesus.

Nimrod: Yes.

All: It's like that one guy who was on TV said once: "No matter what you say, you'll piss people off. You can say that you love bunnies, and you'll get millions of letters from people who think that you meant sexually, or from people who are allergic to them and have to live in bubbles."

Me: By the way, Chinamen are deserved of painful death by Molten Plastic. Ride of the Valkyries.

I think viewings of Oliver Stone movies involving molten Plastic are in order.

*Rolls eyes*

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: It was more a general stereotype humour-thingy that an on-line gaming jab. But close enough.

I am dissapointed at Ace and Infinity11 not getting the point though. They are obviously all gays and lesbians.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd point out to Jeff that he can't just declare that an analogy is wrong and expect people to listen, without explaining WHY is it wrong, but it's kinda irrelevant now.

Under any circumstances, go, Bush!

And when do we get our plane back?

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Russian analogy or the car analogy? And what's wrong with the Greenville analogy?

The car analogy is incorrect because you don't include the fact that the driver of the vehicle would have two choices: ditch his vehicle in water, or go for aid with whomever struck him. Also, there would have to be two other cars involved, with one of those drivers being killed.

The Russian situation is a totally different thing. We invited the Russians over here in the first place (sort of) to work their Embassy. It's not like their plane broke and we had to let them land.

Now, please explain what's wrong with an analogy to the Greenville? It seems to me that we're trying to compare apples with oranges...

Well, Omega, we probably DON'T get our plane back. You know, that's the other thing. You're all (1of2, JR, Omega) so vibrant about how you can't trust the Chinese, then something like this happens and you expect that you can trust them then ... ::sigh::

And so when something like this happens, you kinda gotta realize that the Chinese probably aren't going to obey a treaty (although, you skipped over The_Tom's post, which pointed out that if a court were to look at previous rulings, they might rule in China's favor). The pilot knew that by landing on Chinese territory, they would be in danger (of either being killed, or not being allowed to return to the US). For all your talk of not-trusting the Chinese, don't ya'll think that maybe you should think about that when deciding to ditch in the ocean or land on Chinese land?

Then you BITCH about not being able to trust the Chinese afterwards! Good GOD! If I run a red-light and get hit by a truck, I'm not going to blame the red-light for causing the fuckin' accident, I'm going to blame myself for not realizing that by ignoring a certain set of past experiences, I shouldn't be too dammed surprised when they repeat themselves.

We got our people back. The crew destroyed what on the plane was valued as a security assett, and the Chinese have gotten the rest of the stuff off. As it is, the plane probably couldn't be flown of Hainon Island, so it'd probably be just as well to push it into the ocean as try and recover it. And if the Chinese keep it -- so what? What else could they get off of it?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 11, 2001).]

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the_tom: Look up overdoing it, or annoying, whichever you prefer, ace did not take it as a joke and he was offended by it, I decided to act on his behalf.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only just caught up reading this thread. . .

quote:
Only after asking permission to shoot them down. Ten to one he was directly ordered to take them to a safe landing zone, against his wishes.

So. . . thank God the Chinese givernment can override THEIR military, who are psychotic, while all along you've been saying that YOUR military should be allowed to immediately go all out to recover the crewmembers?

I'm just glad it's all over. Bush doesn't seem to have lost any prestige for himself or the US. Mainly because all his supporters, his Party etc. will back him as a matter of course, while the rest of the world had already formed an opinion of him as an incompetent wanker. 8)

------------------
"It strikes me that there are enough episodes of the Simpsons that people could speak entirely in Simpsonese, using references from the show to explain or describe an endless series of situations. Nelson and Apu . . . at Tinagra.

But now I�ve brought Star Trek into it again, haven�t I. Sorry."

- James Lileks, 09/04/2001

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chinese military is a bunch of murderous, gun-slingin', gang-rapin' assholes with no self control.

The U.S. military is virtuous, and only attacks when forced to. No American soldier would ever do anything that a damn Chink* would do. That's the difference: our military upholds The Constitution, the Chinese don't.

Just ignore My Lai ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

*Please understand that this is being used with extreme sarcasm.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 12, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee:

while all along you've been saying that YOUR military should be allowed to immediately go all out to recover the crewmembers?

Hmm... immediately? Did I say that?

JK:

That's the difference: our military upholds The Constitution

No, the difference is that on the rare occasion taht they don't, they're severely punished.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Hmm... immediately? Did I say that?

Along with blowing the plane up, yep, you sure did.

quote:
No, the difference is that on the rare occasion taht they don't, they're severely punished.

So, the difference isn't, in fact, that the Chinese military doesn't uphold the Constitution? It's that when the Chinese military fails to uphold the Constitution, they're not punished for it?

You know, I think the vast majority of the armed forces in the world don't uphold the US Constitution either.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 12, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or any document which delineates and insures the rights of the citizenry, for that matter.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I still think it's kinda funny that Omega apparently thinks that the Chinese are supposed to uphold the US Constitution, despite 1of2's attempted to cover for him.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The U.S. military is virtuous, and only attacks when forced to"

oh yeah, I see the American bunches of self-rightous ego-maniac, who can't stand anyone that is different from them.

The Americans always want to butt in on every single other countries affairs after WWII.

I'm glad that a country like China can stand up to them and say this to them in their faces:

"We are not going to do whatever you want us to do, we don't give a shit what you think of us, and if you want to make a big deal out of that, we're ready to kick your sorry asses whenever you're ready"

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Blue,

I hope you realize I was being sarcastic when I wrote that.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps