Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The China Fiasco (Page 5)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The China Fiasco
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ROTFLMAO*

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now this shall become a religious thread =)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pilot didn't ditch the aircraft in the sea because HE was responsible for 23 other servicemen/women. The aircraft was 'somewhat flyable (apparently with some difficulty)' and as any pilot will tell you it is much easier to land AND SURVIVE a landing on ground rather than a landing at sea.

What the intelligence weenies here in the US don't want the Chinese to find out is just how sensitive the EP-3's sensors are. If they determine that we can detect a particular range of EM emissions with ease, the Chinese would immediately begin searching for ways to use signals that are much more difficult to detect.

One point that hasn't been touched on here is that EVERY country (with a respectable military) conducts signals intelligence. The Chinese undoubtedly have dedicated aircraft that monitor US naval deployments much like the Soviets did during the Cold War. It's a method of determining your potential foes' intentions, any sane person can see the benefits of knowing as much as possible about your potential enemies. I think, personally, that all this talk about discontinuing these types of flights is rediculous, they are necessary so as not to be caught off guard.

As for whose fault it was I can't imagine a smaller, more maneuverable fighter being unable to move out of the path of a swerving prop aircraft (even if it was) unless he was either:
A) Too close to have time to respond (big no no on his part)
B) Wasn't paying enough attention to the situation (another big no no)
C) Was too worried that the US pilot didn't notice that his email address had changed since their last encounter (no idea if that account was true but interesting nontheless)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That last one is a beaut, Shipbuilder. I can see it now.....

US Pilot: I can't hear you..... try another frequency

Chinese Pilot: I said it was *garbled message*

US Pilot: I still can't hear you.....

Chinese Pilot: dammit here I'll write it down on a piece of paper *writes e-mail on a piece of paper and sticks it to window of craft*...... here can you see yet?

US Pilot: uh.... lets see now..... no can't see it yet. Can you fly a little closer?

Chinese pilot: see it now?

US Pilot: Still Can't see it.... Closer!!!

Chinese pilot: how about now?

US Pilot: Still need to be closer, closer..... closer..... ok, I can read something now.......

*WHAM*

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 09, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C) Was too worried that the US pilot didn't notice that his email address had changed since their last encounter (no idea if that account was true but interesting nontheless)

LOL. What was this -- ?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

dih1138
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chinese want an apology for the loss of the pilot & his plane, nothing else. The surviving pilot led them to the island and showed them where to land as a goodwill gesture. He even showed them the correct direction to land in!
The captive crew of the EP3 is being treated very well: they are sleeping in officer's quaters and eat catered food. The only reason they have not been let go is that, as was said before, the military hardliners want to consolidate popular support and secure more funding, as well as impair the sell of AEGIS equipped warships to Taiwan

------------------
Ian Hughes

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't bring it up again, infinity. I realize I must've sounded detached, and it didn't have anything to do with this thread. I know a few makedonians here in Sweden, in fact they get their faxes from home through me.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1138:

The surviving pilot led them to the island and showed them where to land as a goodwill gesture. He even showed them the correct direction to land in!

Only after asking permission to shoot them down. Ten to one he was directly ordered to take them to a safe landing zone, against his wishes.

JK:

The incident in question was an example of the late Wong Wei's... skill... at close-range piloting. He apparently got so close to an American plane once that he flashed a sign from his cockpit with his e-mail address written on it.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Only after asking permission to shoot them down. Ten to one he was directly ordered to take them to a safe landing zone, against his wishes.

Hate to ask, but ... what's the source for the request to shoot down?

Anyway, all this means is that the goodwill was on behalf of the Chinese government and not one individual fighter pilot.

quote:
The incident in question was an example of the late Wong Wei's... skill... at close-range piloting. He apparently got so close to an American plane once that he flashed a sign from his cockpit with his e-mail address written on it.

This is what you get for sending planes in the vicinity of hot-dogging aggressive fighter pilots.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

dih1138
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Omega:
Is there anything else but conjecture behind everything you say?

------------------
Ian Hughes

IP: Logged
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for coming off like that Nimrod, but that's the one issue I feel very strongly about. I still respect you as one of the few people in this flame board that aren't ignorant assholes.

dih1138: That's just Omega, you learn to luv 'em, or in most cases you don't but you get over it He has his merits, but in my oppinion he is the most stubborn person I've seen when it comes to supporting one's own oppinion, it's just pointless, he doesn't wanna hear you, he's right, you're wrong, that's it

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EP-3 airplane has electronic equipments that has the ability to monitor communication traffics inside Chinese territory. Any leaders with the right minds will veiw this as an violation towards his country and can be treated as an act of aggression, and he will respond correspondingly.

Let me ask what would you feel if any of you guys live across the street from my house and I listening in on you and your wife "doing it" or use night vision equipment taping the "shagging" process?

So guys, playing "word game" or "let's check the dictionary" for this situation is just stupid, maybe the media see a difference, but from a military standpoint, spying and surveillance are pretty much the same thing.

Going over the war over this? Kicking China's ass as easily as you did in Iraq? Wow, list of moronic statements just keep getting longer and longer! Some of you guys think that going to, and winning a war is as easy as cooking an egg.

Don't even talk about military analysis or stratigies until you have at least the rank equvalent to a Colonel. All the military statements I read so far from this thread is superfical and idotic limiting to "we kick ass" or "gonna bomb their asses back to stone-age" type. Why can I say this? Because I know. Why do I know? cuz both my grandfathers are career military, one in army with THREE STARS hanging on his shoulder, one with TWO STARS in navy.

Are the American gonna apologized? Maybe, or maybe not, depends on how hard the line is drawn between the Chinese official and Bush administration. Any conclusion drawn now is premature.

Do you guys really so naive to think this apologize thing only has the purpose to save face? Chinese at this moment are analysising the sensitive equipments on broad the aircraft! That's the real intention here. That is why the American are really pissed off, but what can they do, they only did the same thing to the Russian at least a dozen time.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you're absolutely right! Everyone who doesn't have vague and specious connections to an armed force, get out while you can!

I, on the other hand, am a direct descendant of a couple guys who fought the Romans near the Rhine, or at least I could be. So I'll stay, being so obviously qualified.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should point out both my grandfather are still in service, so non of that "ancient dinosour don't know sqaud about military warfare of today" shit.

And I don't know about your military relatives, my grandpas actually went over military stuffs with me, and I do read their collection of military books.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if the military WAS squabbling over "surveillance" versus "spying." Did any of you read the paper today? I know the New York Times is going through great pains to make sure people see the difference in wording. Quatation marks and italics abound. US calls it a *sureveillance* plane, and the Chinese are calling it a "spy" plane. The NY Times also had an article on how the United States was considering PHRASING their apology, (if it ever comes down to them giving one), and how a single consonant may make or break relations.
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps