Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Pot. Discuss. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: The Pot. Discuss.
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes and driving in LA should be illegal too because you have to breathe in the smog everytime you leave your house.

Face it guys , smoking is here to stay i mean really i agree its an ugly thing and really shouldnt be allowed in public but its to late to start ripping smokers of their rights , i agree smoking in a public building where your forced to breathe recirculated cigerrete smoke should be illegal , but if we start ripping people of their right to smoke outside , whats next?

I mean put yourself in their shoes , for example lets say you have a really nice and expensive car that doesnt and one day they make it illegal for you to drive it because someone is forced to breathe in the exhaust at some point.

People are becoming to prissy about things in America latley , everyone is just searching for some reason to piss and moan about ssomething , I'm guilty of it to , i just finding something to piss and moan about that doesnt really have any effect on you.

Is it just me or do I always make these long drawn out posts where a short one would have expressed the same idea ? Imagine me in a conversation LOL

Anyway , what im saying is , Smoking should be prohibited in public buildings , but once your outside its a free world. The Outside is the smokers last resort.

------------------
"You dont win a war by dieing for your country , you win by making they other poor bastard die for his" - General Patton

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that there is a small community back east that has done such a thing. It has banned smoking in all public places to include out of doors within the specified area.

As a former smoker (8 September 2000 was the day I quit) I rather think that goes beyond what is necessary to insure the health of those non-smokers who had to incounter us.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited May 07, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Read More About Jay's Fight With The Cancer Stick, CLICK HERE!!!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

That thread was back in '99...and on that occasion, I did give in to the call and went back to the weed not of this thread. However, on 8 September 2000, I quit for good and have not had one in the intervening 9 months.

Work has been a big pile of suck the last few weeks and MAN I WANT ONE BAD!!! But no, I shant give in to the weed not of this thread for I have quit for good.

It's tough-diddily-uff sometimes, but I smoke no more. It's a good feeling.

------------------
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited May 08, 2001).]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can readily accept people's reservations about pot, but really, bringing up something like getting into a taxi with the driver smoking is a bit irrelevant. If it's legalized there are obviously going to be restrictions on its use, and rightly so. Let's put that aside for awhile.

The main issue is whether it should be legal at all. The point has been raised of its effect on health. I'd be the first to admit that inhaling smoke, of any form, can't be good for you, but AFAIK marijuana smoke doesn't contain many toxins like tar etc.
In terms of its effect on the brain, it is psychoactive, and with overuse sure, it can make you a bit dumb, but in reasonable doses the effects are not serious. Loss of ambition can be a symptom, with overuse, but a person can choose not to smoke pot just as they can choose not to drink alcohol.

Basically what I'm getting at is whether the benign (IMO) effects above justify making the plant illegal. The book www.growmedicine.com/index3.htm I linked to earlier has lots of facts about marijuana that most people don't know, so I really recommend people to read it before making up their minds. Marijuana has benefits too, such as increased appetite, and can help with many medical disorders. Not to mention the fact that it is enjoyable, without very serious consequences.

Despite the fact the everyone agrees that the effects aren't destructive in comparison to cigarettes & booze, the bottom line is: If you grow or smoke pot you are liable to be thrown in prison on trumped up charges. Even those against smoking pot should be able to see that this kind of law is in need of review.

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"AFAIK marijuana smoke doesn't contain many toxins like tar etc."

From the NIDA:

"The amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers. This may be due to the marijuana users' inhaling more deeply and holding the smoke in the lungs and because marijuana smoke is unfiltered."

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"There are also the diphthongs ae and oe, with no English counterparts; Tolkien actually suggests substituting ai and oi if you don't care about such details...but anyone reading this document probably does care about the details." - Sindarin information

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
". Marijuana has benefits too, such as increased appetite,"

That's the first time I've ever heard of 'the munchies' being a beneficial side effect. And if increased appetite means you just suck down more pizza and burgers, that's not a health benefit. better than 60% of the US is overweight anyway.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"People are becoming to prissy about things in America latley , everyone is just searching for some reason to piss and moan about ssomething , I'm guilty of it to , i just finding something to piss and moan about that doesnt really have any effect on you."

How does it not "have any effect on [me]"? If you started coughing up a lung every time you inhale near an immediately-practicing smoker, you'd want them all to drop dead, too.

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Some medical treatments such as chemotherapy decrease appetite; therefore, use of marijuana has the beneficial affect of inceasing lost appetite.

And besides, I thought you conservatives would be falling all over yourselves speaking up for individual choice when it comes to marijuana and the like. The government has no business limiting what people do and all that.

------------------
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited May 09, 2001).]

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who makes a habit gravitating towards smokers while walking down a street?

I mean , if i'm walking down the street and some guy is puffing on his cigerette i usually steer clear of his smoke screen not run right through it. Its his right to smoke , you dont HAVE to walk through his smoke feild if your in an outside area. Of course if your inside its another matter all together , there your being FORCED to endure the person.

On the health benefits of Marijuana , the active ingrediant in weed is THC , and THC is very good for people with cateracts(SP) , its also helpful as a setative and painkiller for cancer patients.

------------------
"You dont win a war by dieing for your country , you win by making they other poor bastard die for his" - General Patton

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited May 09, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, government has no right to limit our economic activities. Our personal lives are fair game.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay: At my school, crowds of people hang around the doors of the buildings, smoking. I can't go into the building to get to class, or come out of the building afterward, w/o walking through their atmospheric atrocities...

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not illegal where I live (guess what: the Netherlands).

Soft-drugs are legal here, and it has allegedly reduced crime rates (except for the illegal exportation to our neighbour countries).

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: I stand corrected on the tar issue. I don't dispute the info about concentration, learning etc. mentioned on that site. However, it is fairly clear from that site that they are biased against pot and I personally wouldn't take everything they say as strict unexaggerated truth.

Also, even taking the lung damage into account, is this reason enough to make it illegal? Bear in mind that marijuana can be eaten too; if legalized, the government could always declare smoking of hemp as an ill-advised use of the substance. Eg. I could break up some coal and smoke it, and I'm sure that wouldn't be too good for my lungs, but smoking of coal is an ill-advised use of the substance.

Increase in appetite is a good thing. As Jay mentioned, chemotherapy and wasting conditions can cause a lack of appetite. If some Americans (or indeed, people from other countries) are fat, it's generally because they are lazy, unexcercised, uneducated about basic nutrition, and undisciplined in their lifestyle, and legalizing marijuana will not change this.

Sol: I know that remark about our personal lives as being fair game was a probably a joke, but just in case it wasn't, I have to ask, should our personal lives be fair game to the government? (I mean this in issues where people are not adversely affecting the others in the population.)
------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited May 11, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coal smoker, huh? Grasping for straws, are we?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps