Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STIII SE (Page 6)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: STIII SE
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
ALSO, another name I heard in the Admiral's lounge was (Commander?) West

Shortly after that, a female voice says "$�%$% Shuttlecraft 8". Did anyone undestand what she said before "Shuttlecraft 8"?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuvixwascrapburnit
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the name before 'shuttlecraft 8' was Captain Styles.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and another little something - did anyone realise that the computer voice for the space-dock was done by Judi Duran - the voice for the Cardassian Computers!

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not only did i know that, i am also filled with shame because of my knowledge.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you should be.
capped
Member # 709

and to seal my geeky fate..

Judi Durand

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Thanks Mike, didn't think the surname looked correct. I wonder if Judi Durand does conventions?

heh heh "hey DO the VOICE - y'know - the VOICE"!!

Now do the STIII spacedock computer voice!!"

*JD to herself* "What have I gotten myself into here? There better be free alcohol!"**

**In no way does this post try imply Judi Durand drinks alcohol, or is an alcoholic!

[Smile]

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I think the name before 'shuttlecraft 8' was Captain Styles.

I really had a hard time hearing the comm over the musical score, but I did hear a commander west...also right as kirk was walking out of the cafe from his chat with admiral morrow there was an announcement that said: "Captain Styles, Briefing Room, Level 10, Captain Styles".

Its curious why closed captioning didnt cover the PA announcement, and at that, it even cut corners in some of the lines, whereas the dvd box sets have every word spoken plus ones in the background you dont always hear. For example; in Yesterdays Enterprise closed captioning caught the following:

"Fleet formation briefing in Main War Room at 1500 hours."

"Dr. Joshua Kim report to Station Ops."

"Ensign Thomas, report to Combat Information Center, Ensign Thomas, CIC."

"Dr. Salar, report to null-g ward, STAT"

(I think even the Encyclopedia said it was Dr. Selar (the Vulcan), the closed captioning states otherwise, and I have found it thus far to be exceptionally accurate)

"Lt. Barren...."

and

"Triage Team Two to Main Shuttle Bay"

just incase anyone was wondering, I didnt actually take the time yet to do a search on it otherwise.... [Big Grin]

oh, and how on earth was anyone able to pick up "USS Merrimack" on TMP? Closed captioning only got the Revere & Columbia reference, and the rest was overshadowed by music and the jumble of radio chatter.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could have been cut out for the DVD release like the Entente (IIRC).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Dr. Joshua Kim report to Station Ops."
"Ensign Thomas, report to Combat Information Center, Ensign Thomas, CIC."
"Lt. Barren...."

Thanks. Finally I get those names.

quote:
the closed captioning states otherwise, and I have found it thus far to be exceptionally accurate
Well, I've seen many spelling errors while watching my TNG DVDs.

quote:
oh, and how on earth was anyone able to pick up "USS Merrimack" on TMP?
By listening very carefully to the rear speakers.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was first deciphering the comm chatter at Epsilon IX, I had my surround sound system set up and I disabled all but one of the five speakers at a time and played the scene through five times. You gat slightly different sounds through each of the speakers. I personally haven't heard the Merrimack reference yet though.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
It could have been cut out for the DVD release like the Entente (IIRC).

I've been trying to disspell this erroneous rumor for a while now. The Entente reference was not edited out of any version of the film that I have come across. (These include the original theatricsl release VHS, the "special longer version" VHS, and the new DVD. I haven't ever checked out the Laserdisc version myself, but I had a friend who said it was on there too.) Don't know where this whole "the Entente got edited out" thing started, but it's clearly not true.

There's a lot of layers of comm chatter that aren't covered by the CC on the DVD or VHS, but you've got to fiddle with the sound balance a bit and get down right next to the speakers to hear them. There's a mention of a "long range shuttle" whose name sounds like "LAY-KEE-UH" and the Merrimac reference comes just after that. It's almost impossible to make out the name, but the registry of NCC-1715 (which we know to be the Merrimac's from FJ's Tech Manual) is fairly clear.

Incidentally, going even deeper still into the comm chatter, I think I hear references to a starship Lincoln. But I can't be sure. I think MrNeutron asked Andrew Probert about the comm chatter some time ago, and Mr. Probert said he'd try to dig up a transcript of the full content of the Epsilon IX transmissions, but I haven't heard about it since.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
[QUOTE]Incidentally, going even deeper still into the comm chatter, I think I hear references to a starship Lincoln. But I can't be sure. I think MrNeutron asked Andrew Probert about the comm chatter some time ago, and Mr. Probert said he'd try to dig up a transcript of the full content of the Epsilon IX transmissions, but I haven't heard about it since.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Yeah, I asked Andy about it...but either he's forgotten, or he hasn't found it. I have to call him later tonight so I'll try to remember to ask about it.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Yeah, I asked Andy about it...but either he's forgotten, or he hasn't found it. I have to call him later tonight so I'll try to remember to ask about it.

Hey hey whoa, being that I am new and this comment raised an eyebrow, just who exactly are you to get a phone number like that and how?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps