Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Uniform errors (contains minor NEM $$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Uniform errors (contains minor NEM $$)
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what I have so far:

• Rear Admiral Bennett with 4 pips in DS9 Dr. Bashir, I Presume?
  • Data's Lt. JG pips in TNG All Good Things...
  • Lt. Cmdr. Finney's commander braid in TOS Court Martial
  • Lt. Cmdr. Giotto's commander braid in TOS Devil in the Dark.
  • Edward Janeway's uniform in VOY Coda
  • Kathryn Janeway's three pips in ST Nemesis
  • Geordi La Forge wearing the uniform from the alternate timeline in TNG Yesterday's Enterprise
  • Jean-Luc Picard's "cadet uniform" in ST Nemesis.
  • Commodore Mendez' uniform in TOS The Menagerie
  • Ann Mulhall's red uniform
  • O'Brien
  • Janice Rand's uniform in ST3 and rank pin in VOY Flashback.
  • Saavik's uniform in ST3
  • Lt. Cmdr. Spock's commander braid in TOS Court Martial
  • Valeris's uniform in ST6
  • Colonel West's Vice Admiral rank insignia in ST6
  • Fleet Admirals Shanthi, Brackett, and Nechayev with Vice Admiral rank insignia
  • Various officers with the Enterprise insignia in TOS Court Martial

Do you remember any other uniform errors?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see a problem with Janeway's 3-pipped bar in Nemesis. We only know she's an admiral. Starfleet actually could have made her a vice admiral in only two years or so. We have no idea what happened during that time until another movie comes along. I will only accept the Nemesis appearance as wrong when I hear what Janeway's actual rank is and it corresponds to what she's wearing.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dat about Janeway, and I'd also like to point out that Picard's Academy uniform wasn't necessarily an error, per se, either. I think it's been established that the jumpsuit (which Robert Fletcher designed as an enlisted uniform for TWOK) is also on occaision worn by cadets.

I still don't agree with your interpretation of Rand's rank, since she was credited as "Commander Rand" in TVH, but I suppose however one looks at there's been a foul-up. This of course could be explained by her having been demoted at some point, though. I had a pet theory that explained the whole thing but I can't remember all the details at the moment. I'll look it up and see what you think.

What was wrong w/Saavik's uniform in TSFS?

To add to the list, there's the last scene from TMP where Spock and McCoy's switch field jackets between shots. That can definitely be labeled an error!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saavik in ST3 was wearing command white while in ST2, she wore "command trainee" red and that in only a few days was allowed the switch in color.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's this "only a few days" bit? They never said exactly how long the gap between the end of TWOK and the beginning of TSFS was. Obviously, it's probably no more than a month, but I wouldn't narrow it down anymore than that. Remember, they had time to pick up the Reliant's crew from Ceti Alpha V, reassign most of the trainee crew, (and in order to have accomplished this, they must have either stopped at a colony or rendezvoused with several ships or some-such, because they sure didn't ALL transfer to the Grissom) and do all of this while repairing heavy battle damage.

Since Saavik had already attained Lt. JG rank, she had obviously graduated the Academy and must have been completing a Command College course or something to that effect. The Kobayashi Maru test was probably the culmination of that training, and when she was given active duty aboard another vessel she was no longer considered a trainee.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
Thought of another TMP snafu:
The officer that Uhura calls "Ensign" on the bridge after Kirk goes to find Decker is wearing a Lt JG's stripe.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Tuvok's rank insignia all goofy during the early part of VOY?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. He was "Lieutenant" in the credits, but wore Lt. Cmdr. pips for much (all?) of the first season before switching back to Lieutenant's pips for the next few years. I can't recall if he was referred to as having any particular rank in dialogue during that period.

Paris also had full lieutenant's pips in the last 5 minutes of Caretaker which were replaced by Lt. (j.g.) pips soon afterwards (Parallax, maybe?).

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuvok was originally a Lt Cmdr, and but he got demoted by Janeway for insubordination in "Prime Factors (ep#10), and then later re-promoted to Lt Cmdr again later on in the series (prior to the mid-5th season).

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

I don't recall Tuvok ever getting a demotion at all. I do vaguely remember Tuvok being referred to as Lieutenant while wearing the Lt. Cmdr. pips early in the series.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't see a problem with Janeway's 3-pipped bar in Nemesis.
Three promotions within 22 months? I don't buy that. And yes, I believe that a one-pip rank is in use.

quote:
I still don't agree with your interpretation of Rand's rank, since she was credited as "Commander Rand" in TVH
I think it makes more sense that way. CPO in TMP, maybe a SCPO or MCPO during TVH (ignoring the credits, which are sometimes wrong, e.g. Uhuru), and then she attended SF Academy and made Lt. JG by the time of TUC.

quote:
I think it's been established that the jumpsuit (which Robert Fletcher designed as an enlisted uniform for TWOK) is also on occaision worn by cadets.
The jumpsuit with a red collar is worn by enlisted trainees.

quote:
What was wrong w/Saavik's uniform in TSFS?
They forgot to add a grey slash on the shoulder strap. She had one on her sleeve band.

quote:
Thought of another TMP snafu:
The officer that Uhura calls "Ensign" on the bridge after Kirk goes to find Decker is wearing a Lt JG's stripe.

There's a memo in The Making of TMP which nailed down the sleeve stripes. One broken stripe is for Ensigns. They totally forgot about Lt. JG. That explains why Chekov was promoted from Ensign two full Lt., while Scotty, McCoy, Uhura, and Sulu only got a one-step promotion.

Maybe I should mention Chakotay too? He had Lt. Cmdr. pips but everyone referred to him as Commander.

[ February 06, 2003, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janeway's three pip rank is unlikely, but nothing really contradicts it. Perhaps Paris appointed her to a specific position within Starfleet as a reward, and that position requires a Vice Admiral, so they made her one. Perhaps she was promoted on a "catch-up" system to account for the 7 years she was prevented from being promoted while she was in the Delta Quadrant. These are unlikely, yes, but without any evidence to suggest she isn't a Vice Admiral, you can't say it isn't just because it doesn't feel right. [Smile]

Lieutenant Commanders are usually called "Commander", because its shorter. Just like Paris and Torres aren't referred to as "Lieutenant Junior Grade".

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Lieutenant Commanders are usually called "Commander", because its shorter.
I know but other Lt. Cmdrs. like Data or Geordi were at least sometimes referred to as "Lt. Cmdr.". Chakotay was always referred to as "Commander".

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was never mentioned that Tuvok was given a demotion, though I suppose it's possible. The fact is, he was always referred to as Lt. even though he wore Lt. Commanders pips. This has been acknowledged in at least two sources I can think of as a mistake.

Chakotay's rank has always confused me. He wears Lt. Commanders provisional rank insignia. He replaced a Lt. Commander (Cabot). But he was never referred to as Lt. Commander. I still think he is... but I guess we'll never know.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that at the beginning, the producers knew he was a Lieutenant Commander, and so gave him that rank insignia. After all, Voyager's original XO was a Lt Cmdr, so it would make sense for his replacement to be one too. However, after a while, when the nice alliteration of "Commander Chakotay" had been said many times, they decided it would confuse people watching to call him "Lieutenant Commander Chakotay".

Another possibility, perhaps, is that XOs are always called "Commander", regardless of whether they are Lt Cmdrs or Cmdrs, a bit like the CO is always called "Captain". However, there is probably somewhere where an XO is called something else to disprove this. I can't remember how Lt Cmdr Cavit was addressed or introduced in Caretaker.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was wrong with Janeway Sr.'s uniform, apart from having a late-model commbadge?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps