Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Uniform errors (contains minor NEM $$) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Uniform errors (contains minor NEM $$)
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only hole in your theory is that he was referred to as Chief Petty Officer when he was wearing 3 chevrons and 2 dots.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh bother [Smile]

So he was referred to as Senior Chief and Chief, both while wearing the 2 dots thing?

And anyway, for a theory that (I think) solves all the O'Brien anomalies, I think only one left over is pretty good.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - here's an alternative. Inatead of starting from the RN, I will start from the USN. As you can see, it is very similar to the previous one.

Ranks:
Crewman 3rd Class
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 1st Class
Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer

(I will explain why this is how it is at the end)

Early TNG:
CM3/2/1: None
PO: As Ensign
CPO: As Lt JG
SCPO: As Lt

Late TNG/Early DS9:
CM3/2/1: None
PO/CPO/SCPO: Black pip

Late DS9:
CM3: None
CM2: 1 Chevron
CM1: 2 Chevrons
PO: 3 Chevrons
CPO: 3 Chevrons, 1 dot
SCPO: 3 Chevrons, 2 dots

Right, now the reasons.

O'Brien is promoted to CPO in TNG. Therefore he was a PO before. Now, the US Navy has 3 grades of PO. However, if this were the case in Starfleet, the 2nd grade could (theoretically) have the hollow pip, but this would leave the lowest grade with nothing. I think that if some ranks have insignia and some dont, it would be infinitely more likely for Starfleet to start giving out insignia when CM changes to PO than when PO3 changes to PO2. Therefore, I have put only one level of PO. Secondly, I have not included MCPO for too reasons.
(a) I find it impossible to believe that our fantastic Chief of Operations wasn't promoted to this.
(b) From the tone of the brag of Miles' father, it seems that Senior Chief is the highest enlisted grade. ("My son went all the way" kind of thing)
Perhaps they abolished MCPO (as well as the PO grades), due to the lesser number of enlisted personnel on automated ships compared with modern ships.

To reiterate:
PO O'Brien wears 1 solid pip as helm officer.
CPO O'Brien wears 1 solid, 1 hollow pip as transporter chief.
(CPO O'Brien is mistaken for Lt JG by Cmdr Riker)
CPO O'Brien wears 1 hollow pip as Transporter Chief.
SCPO O'Brien wears 1 hollow pip as Chief of Operations.
SCPO O'Brien wears 3 Chevrons, 2 dots as Chief of Operations.

This means that the correct form of address for a Senior CPO is "Chief", as SCPO O'Brien is called this every single time.

In summary:
USN ranks minus MCPO, with the POs merged into 1 and with the form of address of SCPO changed.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That doesn't work either. Firstly, O'Brien never wore Lt. JG pips. He appeared with one solid pip, two solid pips, and one hollow pip. Secondly, he was referred to as "Chief Petty Officer" when wearing 3 chevrons and 2 dots, not just Chief.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
OK - here's an alternative. Inatead of starting from the RN, I will start from the USN. As you can see, it is very similar to the previous one.

Ranks:
Crewman 3rd Class
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 1st Class
Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps they abolished MCPO (as well as the PO grades), due to the lesser number of enlisted personnel on automated ships compared with modern ships.

Interesting. Also, the USN has been considering simplifying the structure.
Seaman
PO (maybe Junior PO and Senior PO, maybe just PO)
Chief
ENS
LT
CDR
CPT
ADM
I like the shortened officer list, but feel that POs need three grades, as each level has different amounts of seasoning. The only reason for Senior Chiefs and Master Chiefs, though (like multiple ADM grades) was to provide room for promotion. I figure we should replace that with paygrade steps, like GS workers. Trek, of course, assumes that money no longer exists, so I don't know what advancement we could provide them for longer service in lieu of adding ranks. In fact, that's why I figured a race I created for my fiction has several grades of ens/lt/cdr/cpt/adm equivalents - they have Vulcan lifespans, so they go through a lot more ranks during their 50-100 year career. That, and everyone starts as enlisted before becoming officers...
But in a human organisation, I'd say our current scheme is too top-heavy and has too many grades, while the new idea being considered may cut too much. I'd run about E-1 to E-6, W-1 to W-3, and O-1 to O-6, maybe even cutting out the warrants entirely.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go here: http://unsd.macrossrpg.com/ranks.php

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
That doesn't work either. Firstly, O'Brien never wore Lt. JG pips. He appeared with one solid pip, two solid pips, and one hollow pip. Secondly, he was referred to as "Chief Petty Officer" when wearing 3 chevrons and 2 dots, not just Chief.

OK then. Change the Early TNG ones to:
PO: As Ensign
CPO: As Lt
SCPO: As Cmdr

The SCPO thing relies on Starfleet's reinterpretation of it. They must just consider it a "Senior" CPO, rather than a "Senior Chief". This semantic difference explains why he is addressed as Chief, not Senior Chief, and hence why he may be called a CPO, because he is one. Just like Fleet Admirals are a type of Admiral, and so are "Admirals" and may be called that, even though they rank higher than plain Admirals.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

But the hollow pip was already in use during early TNG.

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

Bah.

Reintroduce the 3 PO Grades
1 Hollow: PO3
1 Solid: PO2
1 Solid, 1 Hollow: PO1
2 Solid: CPO
2 SOlid, 1 Hollow: SCPO

So he got promoted from Petty Officer 2nd Class to Chief Petty Officer. (Perhaps he had LtJG pips when we didnt see him.)

Then make the DS9 ones:
1 Chevron: PO3
2 Chevrons: PO2
3 Chevrons: PO1
1 dot: CPO
2 dots: SCPO

CMs can have no insignia again.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

BTW: Why are you so eager to use the solid pips when they were clearly an error?

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

Because I don't like errors, so I try to make them into non-errors [Smile]

If something is clearly a mistake, and there is no way whatsoever to explain it, fine, I can accept that as an error, but if I can I will come up with a reason.

I think that this system is plausible. Whether you think it is or not is up to you, but it works for me. As to why SF would use the same insignia for Officers and Enlisted is anyone's guess, but the organisation that can introduce the dresses seen in very early TNG can do anything IMO. And the reason they changed them is clearly illustrated by Riker's mistake [Smile]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what ... for not wearing his boxers on an away mission?

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

Calling O'Brien "Lieutenant" [Smile]
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
Calling O'Brien "Lieutenant" [Smile]

and reading 1305-E off the Yamatos hull all while travelling in the "good ship" Lollypop to the Morgana Quadrant wearing a Starfleet dress, no less.

--------------------

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

[*]Various officers with the Enterprise insignia in TOS Court Martial
[/list]

Depending on what source you are using for your information on TOS insigna, there is a fandom theory on this. I believe, correct me someone if I am wrong, fan chronologer James Dixon came up that the Enterprise insigna really was the insigna for members of the Space Fleet, or Star Service. While the various other insigna seen throughout the series symbolized a type of rank or job specification. For example, the rectangular Exeter insigna symbolized a fleet captain (Ron Tracy). The stylized-I in "Doomsday Machine" symbolized Commodore with a ship command, while the starburst in "Court Martial" and "Menagerie" symbolized Commodore with a base command. The odd planet symbol seen in "Balance of Terror" on the doomed outpost officer symbolized planetary duty or some such.

Speaking of the "Menagerie," Mendez's yeomen or secretary can be cleary seen wearing the Enterprise insigna when Kirk enters the office.

Middy Seafort

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps