Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Uniform errors (contains minor NEM $$) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Uniform errors (contains minor NEM $$)
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the black pip always to the left on TNG and beyond Lieutenant Commanders?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bingo
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're looking at it, then yeah. If you're wearing it, then the black pip is on the right.

There are a couple of other uniform errors mentioned in the Nitpicker Guides. There's one episode where during a briefing room scene Beverly Crusher appears pipless, and another where for an entire turbolift ride Picard has three pips instead of four.

This one might not be strictly an error, but it always bugged me. Remember the episode "Ensign Ro"? You know when Picard goes down to the planet to confront the Bajoran terrorist leader, he sees Ro there, finds out that she had a secret mission, they all return to the ship and have a discussion on the bridge? The episode makes it seem like they went straight to the bridge after beaming back up, but Picard wears his grey top with red jacket on the planet, and a standard uniform on the bridge (and, IIRC, Troi changes bunny suits too).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remembered all these officers in gold or brown uniforms in WNMHGB with the Science division insignia.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
POSTED BY SPIKE:
Commodore Mendez's uniform in TOS The Menagerie
Ann Mulhall's red uniform

Hey, Spike.

What are the exact errors on these uniforms?

Middy Seafort

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mulhall was an astrobiologist but wore red.

I'm not sure about Mendez, but IIRC he wore the dress uniform of a captain. Commodores have additional gold piping that runs down the outer seam of both sleeves from the neck to the cuff.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Mulhall was an astrobiologist but wore red.

I'm not sure about Mendez, but IIRC he wore the dress uniform of a captain. Commodores have additional gold piping that runs down the outer seam of both sleeves from the neck to the cuff.

Ah, I misremembered and thought Mulhall was another A&A officer like the one in "Space Seed." That's why I thought she wore red.

For Mendez, I thought you meant his duty uniform tunic not the formal one. Thanks for the clarification.

Middy Seafort

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so far in watching some on the TNG DVD box sets of the first two seasons, I've noticed two curiosities beyond the obvious (Kosinki). One being the Helm officer of the Enterprise who wore no pips, and of another officer who wore only one black pip (rank below ensign?). Anyone have any explainations or suggestions on these peculiarities??

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Encyclopedia, a black pip denotes a chief warrant officer.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The single black pip was on a "miss gladstone" in the episode "the child", she was the person in charge of the nursery on the Enterprise-D; i know, i know, nothing but total obscurities going on here...but nonetheless...relative i guess.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Simon Tarses (TNG The Dreamhead) had no pips and referred to himself as "Crewman 1st class".

O'Brien was referred to as "Chief Petty Officer" in TNG Family (still wearing 2 pips). He got one black pip in TNG Realm of Fear. In DS9 Hippocratic Oath he was again referred to as "Chief Petty Officer" but IIRC he was wearing his new insignia in that episode. So, either he was a CWO between TNG Family and DS9 Hippocratic oath or a CPO all the time.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keep in mind also that in a conversation with Keiko in DS9 S1, it was said he had received a promotion between his TNG and DS9 appearances (and that leaving DS9 would mean he would give up his promotion).. also, there are a few different grades of Chief Petty Officer.. namely CPO, Master CPO and Senior CPO, so possibly he was a CPO or MCPO in TNG and then was promoted to MCPO or SCPO for DS9..
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

But his rank insignia didn't change. Maybe he meant a promotion in position not in rank? It's a huge step from transporter officer to chief engineer.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

i don't think his rank insignia is applicable. it's been wrong the whole time, its obvious its meaningless. i'd prefer to ignore his insignia from farpoint up until DS9 S4 when he got the chevrons, and theorize a sensible answer, rather than theorizing and answer which is based on costuming mistakes

i mean, by the insignia we have
Petty Officer O'Brien -- for years before TNG, according to dialogue, then promoted
Ensign O'Brien -- TNG S1, then promoted
Lt. JG O'Brien -- TNG midyears (even though he is CPO in dialogue, "Family", then has commission taken away
Chief Warrant Officer O'Brien, TNG S6, who is then promoted yet remains
Chief Warrant Officer O'Brien, DS9 early years, who then loses his warrant to be once again
Chief Petty Officer O'Brien, DS9 later years, according to an actual correct insignia

i'll ignore all the officer ranks, and i think i might ignore the warrant officer ranks too, easier, since we can probably just assume that the hollow pip _doesnt_ mean warrant officer and the encyclopedia is wrong

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since O'brien's rank is so screwed up anyway, why not just allow that the hollow pip does indicate a CWO and that it was just another error to give that pin to him?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps