Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bajoran uniforms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bajoran uniforms
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did General Krim, Colonel Day, and Li Nalas wear grey uniforms? Isn't that the colour for Engineering staff?

Did Kira get a different rank insignia when she was promoted to Colonel?

Is there any information about Bajoran uniforms in the DS9 Companion or The Making of DS9?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.... Good questions all.

I think the grey uni's that Li et al wore were different designs than the engineering ones. The shoulder patches came all the way across the chest, IIRC. One might surmise that this is an "admiralty" level uniform. But then... *Colonel* Day was wearing one too, you say...

Perhaps it's a spec ops uniform. What are the rest of their troops wearing in that episode?

I believe Kira did get a new rank insignia when she was promoted. They made it quite obvious she was *Colonel* Kira now... I would think they would make sure she had a different rank as well as a different uni and a cool new braid in her hair. [Smile]

I'll have to go back and look through my copy of the Making of DS9, but all i remember off hand is a section on the Bajoran phasers and a sectionon Odo, who was originally going to be a more metallic looking Starfleet officer with a rather funky looking uniform.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Kira's "Colonel" insignia was her old "Major" insignia but in silver, not gold. Which is odd, considering its not anything like what Colonel Day's insignia was. Perhaps they did a Starfleet and changed the system...

Edit:

This page is about the system seen in "The Circle":
http://frankg.dgne.com/bri/

Here is a picture of Colonel Kira:
http://www.sfworldonline.com/stt/duets91r.gif

This site seems to use the new insignia as a basis:
http://www.tangofleet.org/ranks/ranks5.htm

So, her new insignia is a silver thing with one section on the lower side missing.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice links... though your picture of Kira is from "Duet" when she was still a Major. She didn't become a Colonel until the start of the last season.
Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I think the grey uni's that Li et al wore were different designs than the engineering ones. The shoulder patches came all the way across the chest, IIRC. One might surmise that this is an "admiralty" level uniform. But then... *Colonel* Day was wearing one too, you say...

Perhaps it's a spec ops uniform. What are the rest of their troops wearing in that episode?

While it may be non-canon the one of the DS9 relaunch novels (Avatar 1, I think) surmises that the grey Bajoran uniforms are issued to spec ops personnel.

--------------------
Bender: Well I don't have anything else planned for today, let's get drunk!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One might surmise that this is an "admiralty" level uniform. But then... *Colonel* Day was wearing one too, you say...
Good guess, I'd say. Uniform variant with shoulder epaulets for Generals and uniform without epaulets for Colonels and Lt. Colonels.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day wore the normal uniform, not the flag variant. check frank's page: http://frankg.dgne.com/bri/images/episodes/siege/day2.jpg .. you can see Day wearing the standard grays,the same as all the engineers, while General Krim in the background wears the general variant.

the only ones who wore the flag variant were generals and Li Nalas, who received the title 'navark' but didnt have a rank specified (unless navark was his rank, but it was said to be a religious title).. but he wore the same pin as Colonel Day.. perhaps he only received the uniform as part of his title's apponitment, and was also a colonel (a lieutenant colonel so as not to outrank Sisko?)

perhaps the difference between Day's black on one side colonel pin and Kira's silver colonel pin was the distinction between Lt. Colonel and full Colonel? This would mean both Day and Li Nalas were Lt. Col.s and that Kira received a two grade promotion to full Colonel from Major, which might not be entirely unlikely, in the wartime era of DS9..

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. I just searched for pictures of Kira, and that one looked like she had a silver thing. Now it looks gold, like it is. I need my eyes tested. [Smile]

I am still pretty sure the new one is silver though...

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Have we ever seen security uniforms with a normal collar or rank insignia?

Any information in ST The Magazine or Fact Files?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to know why people think Bajorans HAVE the rank of ensign. The Bajoran military rank system seems to be based on army forces, and not based on naval forces (as Starfleet's system is).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Phoenix
Member # 966

The first link I posted has a purely army system. The second one is just confused. It seems to start off Navy and morph into Army, making Captain the equivalent of a Lt Cmdr, which it isn't. Seeing as the ranks we hear are obviously translations of the real Bajoran ones, there doesn't seem to be any reason why the UT would mess up the rank system like that. After all, it would only confuse the poor old (hypothetical) Starfleet Marines, when they find out that Major Kira is actually the equivalent of a Lt Col in their organisation.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Starfleet informs its officers and crew about the appropriate translation of Bajoran ranks.

What I'm wondering is, what evidence is there that there ISN'T a Lt. Colonel rank? What canoncial evidence is there for a rank of ensign and lieutenant j.g.? Was it ever spoken, or are certain creating these lists unaware of the appropriate Army, Air Force, Marine/Navy rank translation?

In other words, instead of "Ensign", "Lieutenant JG" and "Lieutenant" as some of these lists speculate, how do we know the actual ranks aren't Third, Second, and First Lieutenant?

(Re-read your first post: argh, I can't believe this system was suggested by the Encyclopedia. Idiots I say).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
how do we know the actual ranks aren't Third, Second, and First Lieutenant?
Why not just Second Lt., First Lt., and Captain?

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah the main obstacle is the Encyclopedia version.. if you peruse FrankG's page youll see that, canonically, the ranks weve seen have been General, Colonel (with two separate pins), Major, and two grades of the low rank where they werent called any specific rank.. its very easy to suppose that those were the two lieutenant grades, an unseen captain grade, major, a couple of colonels and general..

but for the sake of argument, the rank now known as second lieutenant was originally called ensign in the revolutionary war, and lt col. was added late also, meaning that it went directly from major to colonel.. our rank system wasnt finalized until WWI

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Why not just Second Lt., First Lt., and Captain?

Spike,

The way the rank system is worked up, you've have a rank slot unaccounted for. Example:

The encyclopedia lists ranks as: ensign, lt jg, lt, captain, major, colonel.

I would list rank as: 3rd lt, 2nd lt, 1st lt, captain, major, colonel.

Now, I wouldn't mind adding a "Lt. Colonel" rank, and I think it makes sense, but there appears to be opposition to that.

So we have to account somehow for that officer grade, and since "captain" already exists, we can't go 2nd lieutenant, 1st lieutenant, captain, captain, can we?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps