Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bajoran uniforms (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bajoran uniforms
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bajorans seem to use "Colonel" and "General"
the way Starfleet uses "Commander" and "Captain".
That would account for Kira's Commander status in Starfleet.
The Bajoran medical uniform diffrence could indicate one as a nurse and the other as a doctor, or mabye the colored shoulders represents a specialization department or intern.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Says who?

I don't buy it ... for one thing, General is a flag rank -- there's no way its in use as much as a Starfleet captains rank is. Why did Kira go from being a Bajoran Colonel to a Starfleet Commander? Well who said the transfer was exact? She could've gone to a lower rank because of Sisko's captain rank, to placate the Cardie rebels, or because of who knows why.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or she could have been a Lieutenant Colonel. Which is equivilent to a Commander. Everyone just calls her Colonel cos it's shorter. See; problem solved [Razz]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like in SF when everyone calls Lt. Commanders just Commander. Works for me. [Smile]
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could be some facet of Starfleet that requires a certain amount of training or service to hold the rank of captain

for example, we know that Troi couldnt become a full commander unless she completed some Kobayashi Maru style scenarios and bridge command tests, etc..

but what if an officer serving in an allied service held the rank equivalent to commander, but lacked any of the training or experience Starfleet required of its commanders, and was coming into the Fleet? could be they would be awarded the Lt Cmdr rank until they completed the requirements to become an actual Starfleet Cmdr..

I can see this easily happening with the captain grade, for weve seen that Starfleet captains have a broad range of discretionary powers, theyd probably not want to give the rank away unless certain training levels and expectations were met.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting.

Question:
Will Kira ever get promoted? If not, will we get some explanation why not? Its starting to seem like a glaring oversight...

Answer from Ron D. Moore:
Promoting Kira would make her "Colonel Kira" ( and Lt. Col. Kira would still be shortened to "Col. Kira" in dialog just as Lt. Cmdr. is shortened to Commander) and none of us think this would sound very good. It's really that simple and no other reason.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, in the DS9 relaunch, when Bajor joins the UFP Kira gets promoted to captain.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you implying that all Bajoran officers become Starfleet officers?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he is implying that she remained in Starfleet or permanantly transferred to Starfleet. I think to a certain degree they become integrated into Starfleet once a race joins the Federation, perhaps on a voluntary scale, but I also think that they would keep their own identity as well. Vulcan is part of Starfleet/the Federation and that didnt stop them from having their own defense forces ("Unification, p2" & "Gambit p2") otherwise they would have simply just had their own supply of Starfleet vessels at thier disposal for those scenarios. Perhaps in the same idea Bajor keeps its own military, but also has the option for some of its soldiers to transfer into Starfleet for those interested in serving on a starship, etc.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well, the DS9 relaunch also indicates that Ro (who is the new security chief) either rejoins SF or leaves the station. So, it seems that the entire Bajoran Militia will be absorbed into SF.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was mentioned in "Rapture" as well by AMD Whatley when he mentioned details that would have to be handled, including "the absorption of the Bajoran Militia into Starfleet."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would seem that this is the case with any race that joins the Federation. My guess would be that a planet's military force is merged with the Federation's when they become members since the Federation Starfleet is tasked with protecting its civilian population. Certainly there would be planetside Starfleet installations on these member worlds, not that ground based personell would do much good when dealing with orbital assaults.

In addition, member planets probably have their own police and security forces that are seperate from Starfleet. But I would think that any kind of spaceborne fleet would definitely be absorbed into the Federation Starfleet.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Well, the DS9 relaunch also indicates that Ro (who is the new security chief) either rejoins SF or leaves the station. So, it seems that the entire Bajoran Militia will be absorbed into SF.

..or at least the bulk of it that is involved with station operations. probably the Bajorans in the space service, or with the right qualifications will become Starfleet, but as I was saying before, it seems like it would take a while to indoctrinate them to the specifically SF service.. more than likely, it will take a few years of exchange programs, training, etc..

have we ever seen the case of a member world that had members in SF but still maintained its own navy/army units or any military force? i know that Vulcan still has an intelligence agency, as per "Gambit". and Ensign Mendon was given honorary rank as part of an exchange program that absobed him from the Benzite space fleet, where he was trained in a manner contrary to SF style.

possibly its the difference between the national guard and the rest of the military. the Bajoran militia will continue as a Bajor-based entity, but the Bajoran officers with offworld experience or the proper training and certification will become part of Starflet. This alse leaves the possibility that other Federation member worlds still maintain their own planetary guard as an independant entity from Starfleet, albeit all in a minor capacity.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also the Mars Defence Perimeter may not have necessarily been part of Starfleet.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benzar need not be a Federation member as of "A Matter of Honor" though.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps