Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bajoran uniforms (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bajoran uniforms
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Seeing that Mordock in "Coming of Age" (2364) was evidently the first Benzite to go to the Academy
Yeah, but this was contradicted by "DS9 Apocalypse Rising".

So, I think that they were Federation members and that they normally serve on Starfleet ships, crewed entirely by Benzites. Would make sense, considering that they need a different atmosphere than other Federation members. Maybe Mordock was curious and the Exchange Program gave him the opportunity to serve on another Starfleet ship.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exchange program was pretty obviously between different governments, though.

And while it's been a long time since I've seen it, I don't recall anything suggesting the Benzite in DS9 had been in Starfleet Academy before that other guy. I don't recall his rank, but there is, I think, plenty of time for someone to spend four years in the Academy between the two episodes. Or he could have been transferred into Starfleet when Benzar joined the UFP.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't recall anything suggesting the Benzite in DS9 had been in Starfleet Academy before that other guy.
KLINGON
Then I turned my attention to the Captain. A Benzenite named Laporin. He put up a valiant struggle. But in the end, I ripped the breathing tubes from his head and...

[...]

O'BRIEN
You knew Captain Laporin.

SISKO
We went to the Academy together.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there you are.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the Klingon quite clearly spoke: "Benzenite", which was also noted in closed captioning.

Considering the similiarities in names of other races such as: Talarians, Tallonians, Tarellians, Tellarites, Tellurians and Terellians, among others, I would say that there may be a similar case between Benzenites and Benzites. Besides I wouldn't necessarily call the Benzite breathing apparatus "breathing tubes". Who is to say that there aren't other benzene breathing/name-related species out there...

In fact, in the next episode, "The Ship", we see Ensign Hoya (I think was her name) who was a Benzite and she clearly had neither breathing tubes or the patented portable shirt-mounted crack-snorting ashtray which must mean they overcame that deficiency.

Either way, nothing from "Apocalypse Rising" even implies that that was an "all Benzite" ship or whatever Spike is theorizing.

Also, "Coming of Age" clearly specifies that that Benzite was the first to apply for Starfleet, however, if this is wrong and IF Capt. Laporin was a Benzite, it doesnt mean that he wasn't in under special circumstances, like Nog or even Worf was. You don't need to be a member of the Federation to join Starfleet as we stated many posts back.

So, like Sol says, it was an "exchange program" between two governments...thats practically the definition of the term, which makes absolute sense, anything else would simply be called a "transfer".

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Actually the Klingon quite clearly spoke: "Benzenite"

You know only the top of the line models can talk. It wouldn't surprise me if he meant Benzite but said Benzenite.

quote:
In fact, in the next episode, "The Ship", we see Ensign Hoya (I think was her name) who was a Benzite and she clearly had neither breathing tubes or the patented portable shirt-mounted crack-snorting ashtray which must mean they overcame that deficiency.
Maybe females don't need that stuff?

quote:
Either way, nothing from "Apocalypse Rising" even implies that that was an "all Benzite" ship or whatever Spike is theorizing.
I suggested, that maybe Mendon was from an all Benzite ship.

quote:
You don't need to be a member of the Federation to join Starfleet as we stated many posts back.
True, but if Mordoc wasn't the first Benzite in Starfleet, it would be possible that Mendon attended the Academy.

quote:
it was an "exchange program" between two governments...thats practically the definition of the term
Not necessarily. The USN and the USMC had a Pilot Exchange Program during the 1980s IIRC.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[EDIT] ::::OMITTED RANT:::::: [EDIT]

And yes, we've already established that Mendon was was from a Benzite ship...in the Benzite fleet...Starfleet rules are Starfleet rules, regardless of who is the majority on the ship, he would have been following Starfleet regulations and reported what he saw, or would have understood the chain of command if he was from a Starfleet ship, but he wasn't, hence the miscommuncation between Mendon and Worf throughout the episode because he wasn't aware of Starfleet rules and regulations, something he would have otherwise known had he been "transferred" from another Starfleet vessel, rather than a Benzite Fleet/non-Starfleet vessel (or whatever they call there government fleet) .

[ April 06, 2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The phrase "You know only top of the line models can talk..." is a racist slur passed between Burke and Samno...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

I realize that, as I have yet to see a mute Klingon, and even so, those Klingons at the bloody 'tiger core' were indeed the "top of the line" afterall....

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps