Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bajoran uniforms (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bajoran uniforms
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could simply be allies to the Federation like the Klingons are...but not necessarily part of the collective.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Later on, during the Dominion War, I think, we hear that Benzar is a member, or such is implied. I'm just saying that, taking into account the officer exchange program, their membership could be very recent, between that episode and DS9.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That said, whatshisface who looked like whatshisface wore a Starfleet uniform.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they came from the same geo-structure...nothing to do with their treaty status.

Im thinking they were affilitated with the Federation at the point we saw in early TNG where they were allowed to serve in Starfleet, yet still had their own space service. Perhaps by the time of DS9 (6-10 years later) they eventually joined the Federation, as we saw more of them showing up in DS9 during the conflicts with the Klingons and the Dominion.

The Federation seemed to go out (and even go as far as scraping the bottum of the barrel) to beef up their membership body a bit as we saw in the instance of the Evora in Insurrection.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though we know (in this case explicitly) that one need not be a Federation citizen to be in Starfleet. In the real world, I think something like three percent of the U.S. military is made up of non-citizens. Maybe even non-residents, I'm not sure.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh, in regards to the lookalike Benzite with the micro-organism spotting issues: I always thought it was kind of weird that he wore a Starfleet uniform, but Riker didn't have to wear a Klingon one.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Encyclopedia, Benzar did join the Federation. I don't know if this was explicitly stated on screen, but it's good enough for my list.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps PermaAsthmaInhaler dude asked to wear a SF uniform, out of respect, whereas Will couldn't stand the thought of not wearing the oh-so-sexy skintight jumpsuit for an entire episode. People wouldn't have been able to see his man-tits, and that would have been a crying shame.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then the Benzites generally go around naked, and the Starfleet folks got sick and tired of this guy's anatomy and begged him to wear a uniform, any uniform.

That would be so Benzite a thing to do, now wouldn't it? "Hi, I'm Hurdon from Benzar. I have a superior physique. See? I'm sure you will enjoy watching me all the day. Please feel free to compliment."

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Hmm, yes, a whole new meaning is now given to the phrase "blue balls"....

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he was from a Starfleet vessel with a Benzite crew?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

But the Bentizes weren't Starfleet/Federation members at that time so it wouldnt have been likely that they would be given their own vessel. That would be like Starfleet giving the Klingons a Federation ship of their own. Maybe there is just no explaination for it, unless of course they were conducting some of the first steps of membership which included integrating a few Benzites into the fleet as conscripts or something.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the Bentizes weren't Starfleet/Federation members at that time
Where did they say that?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got the impression that Benzites weren't members of the Federation. Also, I do believe that many planets maintain their own independent space fleets, so I don't think that's evidence enough.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
But the Bentizes weren't Starfleet/Federation members at that time
Where did they say that?
Actually in my ooold like Omnipedia v1.5, it says the Benzites were a recent member of the Federation as of "A Matter of Honor" (2365). Considering what I said earlier:

Maybe there is just no explaination for it, unless of course they were conducting some of the first steps of membership which included integrating a few Benzites into the fleet....

If going by the Omnipedia that suggests that the Benzites just joined the Federation they may have a slightly more complicated process in integrating fleets and so forth.

Seeing that Mordock in "Coming of Age" (2364) was evidently the first Benzite to go to the Academy, it is possible that Mendon in the later episode, who was participating under the auspices of the Cultural Exchange Program, he was given the honorary/comparable rank of ensign and was there in some initial attempts of integrating the Benzite Fleet into Starfleet.

This, all in all, suggests that there is a good possibility that they joined in c.2365 and this was just a step in the process. Based on given information, this seems to be a concise and logical solution.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps