Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STAR TREK LIVES! (Page 14)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: STAR TREK LIVES!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
(but we all cut Stanley a break because he's British and clever.)

Clever, yes, British, no. He was an American Anglophile who hated travelling, hence recreating Vietnam in Docklands.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I knew he hated to travel, I just always assumed that because so many of his films were shot there and were UK releases that he was like a Hitchcock who didn't take to LA. I guess maybe I'm less impressed at his ability to nail American culture.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends what you mean by "nailling" American culture. A complete list of his films reads thus:-

Day of the Fight (1951)
Flying Padre (1951)
The Seafarers (1953)
Fear and Desire (1953)
Killer's Kiss (1955)
The Killing (1956)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Spartacus (1960)
Lolita (1962)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Barry Lyndon (1975)
The Shining (1980)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

. . . The first three being short documentary films, the first two of which I've seen and are superb snapshots of little bits of '50's Americana.

Beyond that, how many of his feature-films are about (or even set in) America? Fear and Desire I've not seen so can't say; Killer's Kiss and The Killing I have, and are; Lolita and Dr. Strangelove are, but do suffer because of the international casting and (obviously) English location-shooting; then you have nothing until the Shining, FMJ and EWS. So are you saying his films aren't American enough?

--------------------

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, to the contrary. It's just that though Lolita and Strangelove feature British characters and actors in decidedly USA contexts, they seem to realistically convey an intimate familiarity and comfort with (perhaps even a healthy disdain for) American culture, but not from an outsiders perspective. The speech patterns, themes and setting of FMJ might be a more contemporary example. Is what I meant by 'nailing' American culture. And when I thought he was British, this was all the more surprising and impressive. His nationality in no way diminishes his brilliance, I just didn't know. I've not seen much of his early work, certainly no documentaries. I'd be curious to, certainly.

As an aside, this discussion of Kubrik enables me to post this image of Gnarls Barkley which makes me extremely happy:

-

Lee
Member # 393

The two doco's I've watched are interesting, yes, but really their main appeal lies in the fact that they are Kubrick's early work. Killer's Kiss I've seen but din't like much, it seemed a rather nasty story - just not my thing I guess.

The Killing remains one of the best heist movies ever, the only problem I have with it is that when the leader of the gang is arrested at the end, it feels tacked on, because at the time it was required that criminals not be seen to profit from their activities - quite literally, in Hollywood films crime must not be seen to pay! On the other hand, it may be that Sterling Hayden's getting caught ties in with the overall motif of a good plan brought down by tragic circumstances, but it doesn't matter, because you know he's going to get caught because that's what always happened in films of that era!

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crank up the Ludwig Van my droogies and lets do some UltraViolence.

And Jason, just what did Forbidden Planet rip off?

(if you say Freleng's Metropolis I will know that you are indeed the angel of the pit)

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forbidden Planet = sci-fi version of Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pump up the peculiar.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...Freleng's Metropolis..."

I'm picturing Bugs Bunny as Freder, Tweety Bird as Maria, and... oh, let's say the Tasmanian Devil as Rotwang.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...Rotwang."

*snicker*

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Forbidden Planet = sci-fi version of Shakespeare's "The Tempest"

Exactly...though many would call it a "update" "remake" or even "tribute", but so few fans of the film realise what they're watching that any discription works.

Lots of cool Shakespere movies are around- see John Turturro in Men of Respect for a fantastic (mobster) MacBeth flick.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Member # 419

I'm partial to Daffy as Rotwang. Porky Pig as Freder's dad.

While I do get the The Tempest/Forbidden Planet connection, I guess maybe I'm not seeing how they've been directly ripped off by/for Star Trek.

Lee
Member # 393

I think the connection between FP and Trek is considered more thematic in nature, plus similarities in look and concept.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...I could squint and sorta see a Prospero/Caliban/Arial comparison with Soong/Lore/Data but that's about it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

No. Forbidden Planet borrows its plot, loosely, from The Tempest. What Trek took from Forbidden Planet was the concept, the idea of ordinary, altogether-human humans going around exploring the galaxy. The quasi-military look, the notion of an all-American heroic captain backed-up and advised by his senior staff. What needs to be emphasised is that just because FP = Tempest, and Trek = FP, does NOT mean that therefore Trek = Tempest.

--------------------

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps