Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STAR TREK LIVES! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: STAR TREK LIVES!
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe the last vestiges of Nexus-Kirk will return to the Academy to inform Ensign Kirk that if he will get a few buddies together he has an "Idea" that will "train" them how to pass next week's Kobayashi Maru test.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if there be a new ship... NCC-1000.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you just guessing at the registry or are you recommending that transporter accident calendar thing? Because I don't like either of those ideas. I can think of several ways this could be cool. Especially if the Academy was as sneaky and paranoid as that one episode where they made Wesley think people were dying. Like The Prisoner, with SPACE!!!
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shatner as George Kirk. Obviously. (not George Samul "Sam", but their dad.)

I need to clean out my pants after seeing this. Not full of jizz, but of the loose squidgy shit that howitzered from my anus in horror over this whole idea.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh great. Now I've got the theme tune in my head.

The Constitution class has been around for, like, a decade. We know Kirk served on the Farragut and the Republic. Written material has him commanding a Destroyer before the Enterprise... We know Spock served with Captain Pike for eleven years before Pike left the Enterprise nd Spock stayed. It was generally presumed that those eleven years were aboard the Enterprise, and that Pike was April's successor, and tht Kirk taking command was the first time he and Spock met.

Besides, anything dealing with the Academy had better have Gary Mitchell.

Also, Kirk being a Lieutenant before graduation is not a problem. We saw several Lieutenant, j.g.'s taking the Kobayashi Maru test in TWOK, all wearing cadet red. Bob Fletcher did that in reference to Kirk and Gary's exchange in "WNM...". Face it, Starfleet Academy does not have to work EXACTLY like a real world military academy.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I for one am cautiously optimistic

"The new film will be a prequel to the original Star Trek series, featuring younger versions of characters like James T. Kirk and Spock. The movie will chronicle events such as their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and their first mission into outer space."
Doesn't tell us a whole lot more than the setting and some events that may take place. Despite the popular belife that "Starfleet Academy" is the stupidest idea ever, I belive that its just a setting. I don't see any real story details there, so what do we know? Yes, there is the potential for terrible, terrible stories, but we've already seen that those can strike anywhere. There's also the chance that it could be a good story.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seann William Scott as Kirk. Kiss of death, I tell you.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TERRY O'QUINN AS: EVERYONE.

(That is all I ask.)

((Also, the whole Lost production staff?))

(((Seriously, Terry O'Quinn, come on.)))

[I sure love all this "YEAH NO BRAGA MOVIE HOORAYS!" seeing as how the TNG films he had nothing to do with were miserable. Yeah, I sure hope we get another awesome Insurrection or Nemesis instead of that lame First Contact, or that. . . OK, I'm not sure what I think of Generations, but it is the second best TNG film.]

((((Terry O'Quinn))))

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry but again, this idea sounds like absolute shit, not just your regular shit but nasty, smelly, runny shit.

JJ Abrahms etc and the rest of the Lost staff - again sounds like crap - they are busy with a little show at the moment. And if they do it'd have to be done in Lost's Haiatus - and that time period hardly gives even some ACTORS time to do another movie, let alone exec producers/writers/directors who are back at work earlier than the actors preparing the new season.

And if they do go with the Starfleet academy scenario - it is VERY obvious that McCoy and Scotty wouldn't have graduated at the same time as Kirk - neither would have Spock. Chekov and Uhura and Sulu different years as well. People get assigned to ships - they don't just stick together from the Academy.

Dumb, dumb, dumb idea.

If it goes ahead... it will... well they really can't get any lower (as someone said) than "These are the voyages".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just looked at Google News and there is a front page 'article' about it!

They speak to some 'normal' sounding Trek fans and they sum up what most think about the idea:

JJ Abrahms = cool
Starfleet Academy = not so cool.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-spinoff-trek21apr21,0,3577190.htmlstory?coll=la-home-entertainment

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what the hell happened to Manny Coto?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's at 24 at the moment...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is that H coming from?

(Also, Abrams hasn't actually had much to do with Lost all season, or even for most of the first season, as he's been busy making ((coincidence!)) a movie for Paramount. Lindelof is a hands-on showrunner, though.)

Starfleet Academy doesn't really interest me as a setting either, since learning how to do something is intrinsically less interesting than actually doing it, but TSN wisely tells me that my concern is more suited to a TV series rather than the one-time events of a film. Still, I like Lost more than is socially acceptable, so I will be super excited about this long after all the grim casting details and bizarro plot points come out.

Seriously though, combining a highly talented TV show creator with a much-loved sf movie franchise? There is literally no way this could backfire!

(Seriously seriously: I am excited by this news while fully aware of the potential pitfalls.)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really know why everybody is so down on the Starfleet Academy idea. I doubt they're going to go all Scooby-Doo Kids or anything. I see it as an exciting opportunity to revisit the pre-TOS era and to potentially find out more about the Battle of Axanar and the subsequent peace mission in which Kirk participated.

There's nothing canonical that says Kirk and Spock weren't at the Academy together. As a matter of fact, they probably were. Spock apparently entered in 2249. (This can be extrapolated from a line in "Journey To Babel" [TOS], set in 2267, stating that Spock and Sarek had not spoken as father and son for eighteen years prior to the episode.) Michael and Denise Okuda's Star Trek Chronology assumes that Kirk entered a year later, in 2250, when he was seventeen. (This was also in the TOS writer's guide.)

The U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 herself is conjectured to have been launched in 2245 in most contemporary sources, but this is rather open to reinterpretation. Stephen Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry's The Making Of Star Trek puts her commissioning (or at least the introduction of her class of vessels) even earlier, circa 2228. By 2254 she was under Pike's command and Spock was serving aboard her as science officer. In any case, she was definitely around during this time period.

Gary Mitchell and Kirk were not students at the Academy during the same timeframe. Kirk was his instructor circa 2259, after Kirk had graduated and gone on to serve aboard the U.S.S. Farragut.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMOM: Not that I don't agree with everything you've stated (I do), but do you seriously believe J.J. Abrams or whatever the hell his name is will give two shits about any of that? Or Paramount? They want to make a movie that will make a lot of money. They're not going to care about continuity.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps