Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STAR TREK LIVES! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: STAR TREK LIVES!
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah. I was just trying to point out that there is nothing wrong (continuity-wise) with the basic premise of a movie about Kirk and Spock at the Academy.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
MMOM: Not that I don't agree with everything you've stated (I do), but do you seriously believe J.J. Abrams or whatever the hell his name is will give two shits about any of that? Or Paramount? They want to make a movie that will make a lot of money. They're not going to care about continuity.

You stole the words right out from under my fingers. Continuity-whores will be having kittens because they sure as hell won't be worrying about Shaemus Finnegan, Gary Mitchell, the Launch date of NCC-1701, the Battle of Axanar or even probably the Kobayashi Maru.

People say Kirk+Spock is doable but it wasn't always about Kirk+Spock TOS was always about Kirk+Spock+McCoy - and to a certain extent the other four.

Which series did fans dub "Boldy going where they've already been"? This is what this smacks of.

Snotty Academy brats. Wasn't that a series of Kids books?

The best Academy Story they've done was the Red Squad take the Valiant. That was brilliant but that was because those kids were such over-zealous arseholes etc. etc. Oh and it was DS9.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it will be funny when Spock and Kirk get lost while walking up the always moving stairs of Starfleet Academy, and they have to get a hold of the Fleet Admiral's lost pet as part of a bet and also there will be a group of cadets that are opposed to Kirk and Spock and play pranks on them because they hate aliens and want to keep Starfleet muggl- I mean alien-free.

Damn!

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
MMOM: Not that I don't agree with everything you've stated (I do), but do you seriously believe J.J. Abrams or whatever the hell his name is will give two shits about any of that? Or Paramount? They want to make a movie that will make a lot of money. They're not going to care about continuity.

Who's to say? There is always the chance he has a respect for the source material.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea of an Academy Movie is not what bothers me, its just the fact that the idea just sounds like the rehashing of things that people like the most in Trek, this case Kirk and Spock. It hust doesn't sound original. And AndrewR is right, there were Starfleet Academy books featuring young Kirk and Spock.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't like the idea of recasting Kirk and Spock to younger versions of themselves. Sure, it happened in the TNG episode Rascals but everything went back to normal... and frankly it was during the same time period, just explained away with a shuttle accident.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, I mean "Rascals." I'm having trouble imagining any young actor being able to flourish in the shadow of The One True Shatner and The Great Leonard Nimoy. So I'm on board with the idea of Terry O'Quinn as everyone excepting, of course, freshman co-ed Janice Rand (Alexa Davalos).
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're not going to be kids, you know. They're essentially going to be college students. Which, in American cinema, means they'll be played by 25-year-olds. I'm sure they'll invest a good deal of time and care in casting the parts, as well, since these are two popular culture icons we're talking about.

I wonder if Kirk's earlier encounter with Kodos the Executioner will be mentioned...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if they actually use Tom Hardy? I could picture him with a nausican broadsword through his naughty bits.
And Paul Bettany as various Andorians.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see it now....

Joaquin Phoenix as Kirk
Tom Welling as Spock
Matt Damon as McCoy
Leonardo Dicaprio as Scotty
Beyonce as Uhura
Jessica Simpson as Rand

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sobs uncontrollably*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Academy script that was dug up a month or so ago was really good, so if they based the movie on that I'd be quite happy. But due to the quality of recent Treks, it pays to be sceptical, even with the apparent absence of B&B.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having seen "Jarhead" recently, I keep thinking about how a similar movie would play out if if were set at Starfleet Academy. Certainly, a Trek film would use less colorful language, unless they wanted to make an "edgier" addition to the series...

--------------------
Meh

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then again, it could turn out to be like the greatest science-fiction film...no, make that the greatest film OF ALL TIME, Starship Troopers.

I=full of shit.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starship Troopers was fun.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps