Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STAR TREK LIVES! (Page 9)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: STAR TREK LIVES!
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOoooohhh. Well, in that case, never mind. I've definitely got some-a them. Rage issues, escapism, parthenophilia, mild vampiric tendancies, TruGoth�-ism, eidetic memory, mild OCD, mild bipolar disorder...

--Jonah

P.S. In truth, I can find something to like and to not like with each Trek movie thus far -- except Nemesis. Can't think of anything I liked in there...

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shiny new tricorders?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate those stupid fucking things. My personal fave, and personal prop is a nice, hi-detail Type VI from TNG 1st season, with detachable scanner.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about McCoy's medical "brain scanner" from STVI?
It's the impulse engne/hangar deck from the K'Tinga model kit.
Not even fucking painted!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ST:IV? That he pressed to comatose Chekov's head to make his cerebral edema or whatever go away? I kind of liked that thing. Didn't it have, like, blue LEDs or something?

I found a few things to like in Nemesis. Like the story of Shinzon and exploring the nature of what makes an individual unique. But there were so many distractions that had nothing at all to do with that (explain to me again why he mind-fucked Troi?) not even a throwaway mention of Lore (which only would have supported the theme) and jumping the jeep into the shuttle was a LONG silly sequence for fuck all. While it was hard not to appreciate the scale of the Reman supa-shippy, I had a hard time connecting that very visual threat with the weapon of mass destruction thingy (which didn't seem half as scary as genesis, btw) so the ultimate stakes were a bit less ultimate for me. Dina Meyer's Romulan cavalry and ramming speed was neato, though. And I while I guess Data's sacrifice was cool (hooray for jumping!) but I was more or less completely distracted by the ridiculous micro-mini transporter dot thing. WTF? Lotsa crap. Definitely opportunity lost.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ST:IV? That he pressed to comatose Chekov's head to make his cerebral edema or whatever go away? I kind of liked that thing. Didn't it have, like, blue LEDs or something?
Yes- that thing. No there were no lED's, but it was molded in the light blue plastic of the kit.

My big issue with the Scimitar is the stupid "transformation" bit. I can sorta see the wings unfolding, but those long spikey arms that open up like flowers reminded me of the old Inspector Gadget cartoon, where impossibly large devices retracted into his tiny head.

I;ve said it before, and I'll say it again, gaint starships should not have moving parts: it's stupid as hell and makes Trek seem like a bad Robotech knock-off.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason:
quote:
No there were no lED's, but it was molded in the light blue plastic of the kit.
You traitor! Sure there are LEDs, we just haven't found them yet!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
OOoooohhh. Well, in that case, never mind. I've definitely got some-a them. Rage issues, escapism, parthenophilia, mild vampiric tendancies, TruGoth�-ism, eidetic memory, mild OCD, mild bipolar disorder...

This is right next to "Sorry, I was on medication when I made my preceeding post where I talked complete shite" on the big list of Things That Should Not Be Posted On An Internet Forum.

I'd like to make some sort of point about how people who like TMP over TWOK are the same people who have to like different things for the sake of it, and who are the sort of people who would abandon a band that they liked if they ever maintained mainstream popularity. I am not going to, as I am unable to properly articulate exactly what I mean.

Also, Simon prefers TWOK to TMP.

But sometimes he is so non-conformist that he conforms! Ahhh!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Yes- that thing. No there were no lED's, but it was molded in the light blue plastic of the kit.

My big issue with the Scimitar is the stupid "transformation" bit. I can sorta see the wings unfolding, but those long spikey arms that open up like flowers reminded me of the old Inspector Gadget cartoon, where impossibly large devices retracted into his tiny head.

I;ve said it before, and I'll say it again, gaint starships should not have moving parts: it's stupid as hell and makes Trek seem like a bad [Mad] Robotech [Mad] knock-off.

/me Growls in Anger and irrationally skull-fucks Jason with a Cudely Seal Pup, yelling 'Never say that name, Macek~Humper! Never! NevaNevaNeva!'

Sorry, Jason. Bad day at work + hated meantion of Macross's Bastard child = made me angry... :|

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Battle for the Planets was awesome though.

And Samurai Pizza Cats.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Battle for the Planets was awesome though.

And Samurai Pizza Cats.

Star Blazers.

i built a lego Argo when i was little... until my brother blew it up a fire cracker (the turrets were the first generation legs and a single 2 piece brick)...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Starblazers, but I don't think it'd hold up. I mean for more than one or two episodes. Better than Voltron to be sure. Also Battle for The Planets did rule.

(So do people who take disproportionate offense whenever the Westernly corrupted names of anime are used fall into the same catagory of those who feel compelled to like differently for the sake of setting themselves apart? What are the rules regarding subbed/dubbed? I am asking and not only trying to be snarky.)
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
...I can sorta see the wings unfolding, but those long spikey arms that open up like flowers reminded me of the old Inspector Gadget cartoon, where impossibly large devices retracted into his tiny head...

Yeah it's pretty bad when you're giggling at the bits where they're trying to build tension. I didn't really get the whole thing with the Scimitar. Because when it shows up, clearly it's massive, intimidating: mission accomplished. One might even just assume that because of it's size that it is possessed of some catastrophicly destructive power. But so yes, a gigantic unstoppable dreadnought, and then they put a cloaking device on it (which seem to do bugger all these days), and it's ducking and weaving invisibly through the space battle. And had I written it would have been all about the fuck-off impenetrable shields and just soaking up whatever everyone threw at it and kept lumbering towards it's increasingly nebulous objectives (kill Enterprise, no the entire population of Earth, no Starfleet, no wait, save Picard, I need his blood for some reason and using our transporter logs couldn't possibly be feasible or something, but kill everyone else including all Romulans). But so with the mega weapon and the gigantic and the invulnerable and maybe just stop there and not feel the need to go to invisible and sprightful as a frolicking lamb.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'd have approached the ship's introduction diffrently: This is the first ship we've seen that can cloak/decloak portions of itself so I'd have initially shown only a small part of the ship to Enterprise, then, once the hostile intentions re revealed, I'd have allowed the rest of the ship to be de-cloaked and scanned.
That way Picard and crew would go from "We can take 'em" to "Oh man, we're fucked.

The "flys like a fighter" was pretty lame too.
quote:

Star Blazers.

i built a lego Argo when i was little... until my brother blew it up a fire cracker (the turrets were the first generation legs and a single 2 piece brick)...

A live action movie just got greenlighted and announced.
quote:
Star Blazers to Fight Big Screen Battle
Source: The Hollywood Reporter April 24, 2006

Benderspink and producer Josh C. Kline are teaming to adapt the classic Japanese anime Star Blazers into a live-action feature, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Known for its epic imagery and themes of brave sacrifice and respect for heroes lost in the line of duty, Star Blazers is the U.S. name for 1970s Japanese anime TV series Space Battleship Yamato. It comprised three television series, five animated features and a host of merchandise. Star Blazers, distributed in the U.S. by Voyager Entertainment, aired stateside in the early 1980s.

The story is set in the 22nd century after an alien attack on Earth has forced survivors to live in underground cities. After a message arrives from a distant planet promising a cure for the proliferating surface radiation, Earth's last vestige of hope rests on the crew of a powerful yet untested spaceship, which must reach the purported new ally and return home before mankind ceases to exist.

They're gonna have to tweak quite a lot of stuff to make it remotely plausable.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I think if the anime production company handles hiring voice actors vor both Japanese and English dialogue (Pioneer), dubbed is good. If t's an American importer doing the dubbing, worry. I still writhe when I hear the wave motion gun referred to in the dubbed version of one of the Yamato movie as the "undulation gun". Ack.

This movie... Is it the painful one with the Arizona replacing the [i]Yamato/i]? Or something new?

There's been a recent remastering of Uchuu Senkan Yamato for DVD that's very nice. It restores the original plot points/storylines and un-dumbs-dwn the stuff the censors thought would be too traumatic for American audiences -- like people dying and shit.

And for the record, I like both Macross AND Robotech.

--Jonah (*puts on his No-Squick� helmet*)

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I think it's the (too American-ized) "Arizona" treatment.

"Argo" sounds sooo much better.

There was a supposedly incredible Starblazers video game that I dont think ever made it to the states.

While I never followed Robotech or Macross, I do love Scott Bernard's Cyc;one battlesuit/motorcycle.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps