Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STAR TREK LIVES! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: STAR TREK LIVES!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revenge of the Sith was the most pointless amount of pap - but not as bad as the first two.

What royally pissed me off with that movie was that it was going along great guns and then Lucas went "oh shit I have to wrap this up and fit everything in to tie it in with episode 4!"

ep 1 and ep 2 should have been one movie and ep 3 should have been fleshed out into two movies.

BTW does anyone know where you can see that Phantom Edit fan edit of The Phantom Menace - I remember they basically cut all the cutesy Annakin stuff out and most of the Jar Jar Binks stuff and where he was left in they scrambled the voice to make it sound alien and put subtitles in to make him sound rather wise.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I really can't see this movie as anything that will "alienate the fans" any more than VGR, ENT, and NEM. While I have no concrete evidence to back this up at the moment, I rather think that a new story about Kirk and Spock would be welcomed by most Trekkies.

I certainly don't care what some novel from the 70s said, and neither will the vast majority of any Trek audience. I mean, it's been very clearly established that the print franchise is a separate enitity. We all know the ground rules. It's not as if that stuff hasn't been contradicted already by contemporary Trek.

On a not-too-closely-related note, I've notcied that there's been kind of a trend towards stylistically "retro" movies within the sci-fi/fantasy genre over the past several years--Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow, the Star Wars prequels, Van Helsing, Hellboy, Sin City, V For Vendetta, etc. For the most part, I've enjoyed it, and I can envision this new-old Star Trek film as part of it.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will they keep the feel of the old series - colours, designs etc. or revamp it for a modern movie - if they do - that will truely suck. The Defiant in the Enterprise Mirror universe when lit in a modern way and filmed with modern film styles looked very cool.

Andrew

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
How is hiring a production team with huge buzz behind them "cutting corners?"

Also, fans are worth nothing. Zero. Possibly they're even a detriment to a movie's success. (Serenity. What happened? The world is run by the Devil, is what.)

If only! I'd have won Lotto by now!
contrary to popular beief, Satan's not that bad a boss, once you get to know him, anyway...
quote:
BTW does anyone know where you can see that Phantom Edit fan edit of The Phantom Menace - I remember they basically cut all the cutesy Annakin stuff out and most of the Jar Jar Binks stuff and where he was left in they scrambled the voice to make it sound alien and put subtitles in to make him sound rather wise.
EpII on the Imax cut most of the "riding a bull and rolling in the grass" stuff.
Made things flow much better.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, I meant to include King Kong in my list of "retro" films.

Carry on.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, its all a bunch of lies. Well, the 'story' information anyway.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... he might end up with TNG again? He might as well finish up two more movies for the Next Generation crew... the search and reovery of Data.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five times? I don't think I've seen a single film in the cinema more than twice. FIVE TIMES?! And Revenge of the Sith, at that?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*huh...* My two notions for what might make a good movie would be Captain April taking the Enterprise out for the first time, even if it doesn't follow Diane Carey's notion of what happened (lot of errors there anyway). Could get Rod to play the role, since he looks so much like his dad it's scary.

Or else something contemporary with Ambassador Spock on a peacemaking mission to Cardassia or the Dominion, when things go awry. Especially cool if it includes the little bit from the recent Relaunch novel that he married Saavik sometime after 2327. Especially since Kirstie Alley is looking so much better...

Each one has a recognisable icon to anchor the casual fan's focus. Then we'd be freed up to get an otherwise unpredictable story. Which would be nice to have from Hollywood for a change...
But I personally feel that the Original Series cast IN THAT ERA is off limits. They shouldn't be recast, and The Undiscovered Country was a good farewell. Something right before or right after would be cool, though.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rod? Surely you don't mean. . ?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Well, shit. Nevermind, then.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None other but Eugene Wesley Roddenberry II.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how many messages do you think Abrams has on his phone left by Takei? It's been about a week now, so.. pfft, five hundred?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I woudn't mind a pre-Tomed Incident story involving the Excelsior and the Enterprise-B, even though I know it'll never happen.

--Jonah

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck The Excelsior idea- it's waaaaay too late for that.

I'd like to see something sweeping with a (gasp!) peaceful exploration theme.
How much idiotic "inspired by today's headlines" do we really need to see.

Mabye a post-Dominion War story with an Alpha Quadrant at peacetime and an exploration mission with the major powers sending representives on a ship...mabye even into the Gamma Quadrant(allowing for some guest cameos).

Anything but re-hashing the past: Enterpise did a good job of it and still failed miserably.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps