Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 21)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That IS Hideous. Did they run out of legos?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I definitely like this much better than some of the assumptions that have been floating around. I was so afraid the nacelles were going to be much more swollen.

Empire Blog has posted an in-depth synopsis of four parts of the movie:

quote:
Empire was privileged to be at a world first screening of footage from Star Trek this morning and any reservations we may have harboured over JJ Abrams’ reimagining of the franchise have been well and truly beamed away. What we saw was a medley of action, excitement, humour and a true reverence for the franchise that should both appease fans and suck in newcomers.

Abrams himself appeared to introduce four separate clips from the film, clearly a little apprehensive about airing his footage for the first time and so many months away from its May 2009 release.

“The thing about Star Trek is that I was never really a huge fan. When I was asked to do Star Trek, though, I found myself saying ‘yes’. I just thought it was the right thing. There have been 10 movies and about a million series but when the first series came out I always felt it was someone else’s show. I appreciated there was a promise of adventure but quite frankly that’s always what I felt it was: a promise of adventure. It might have been the resources they had doing a TV show – you know, a big adventure going to a cardboard planet, you know? So, the idea of doing this movie where it could feel legitimate and real despite all the stuff that non-fans might thing was silly, was really the challenge.

“I’ve seen Galaxy Quest, I’ve seen all the parodies but the key to doing this and making it feel real was a great cast. The cast is amazing and I’m going to show you a scene now where we meet Kirk as a young man. This shows how Kirk ends up joining this group called Starfleet.”

Admiral, there be spoilers here!
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the "new" ship...

It could be worse. It is nice looking, just different than what I expected. I can't wait to get my hands on a model of her. The way the deflector sticks out bothers me though...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*clasps chest*

Elizabeth! I'm coming honey!

Edit: Y'know is shape is reminiscent of the Planet of the Titans/Phase II big E Study Model.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh.

Right.

I see.

. . . They've kept the straight-up (not slanted back) nacelle pylons, one of the few things that differentiated the original from the refit, so I guess that's seomthing, at least.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek for people who really hate Star Trek.

Sorry, guys, but it's not so much the look of the ship (which, frankly, IS awful), but the whole story and the nonsense of the entire cast being the exact same age... and the whole teen-angst bit, and etc. etc. etc.... This movie looks like complete and utter horse-shit wrapped in a dung-burrito seasoned with flakey poo.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flakey poo....heh...heheh.....heheheheh

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard:
[SNIP]...[SNIP]...complete and utter horse-shit wrapped in a dung-burrito seasoned with flakey poo.

I believe that's #6 on Taco Bell's menu.

I think this ship may grow on me, but I'll wait to cast final judgement until the movie comes out ( or at least the trailer) and I can see her actually moving. The fact is though, like it or not, this is the ship we're probably going to be stuck with for this and the next 2 movies...at least it looks like an Enterprise, even if it's not exactly like the TOS E. To the general movie goer who has seen a few episodes of Star Trek, it really makes no difference, because it has the general shape of the other Enterprises we've grown to love...and hate.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be completely honest, I will be amazed if we EVER see another Trek movie or series at all after this pile of drek is shoved on the theatres.

But, we'll see I guess... I've been wrong before. But this is one Trek flick I'm not going to bother seeing.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will see it! The Praetor demands it!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But this is one Trek flick I'm not going to bother seeing.
That's what you're saying now, but you know that's not true.

When I saw the picture of this ship today, several things went through my mind. Here they are, in order:

1. This is what the Protector would have looked like if the guys who made "Galaxy Quest" had been able to design their ship to look like the movie Enterprise.

2. I was slightly disappointed that this ship has very little in common with the TOS Enterprise, but I got over that pretty quickly. I mean, after already seeing the bridge, I wasn't expecting much anyway.

3. After studying the pic several times, I came to the realization that I don't dislike the design. I certainly like it better than Gabriel Koerner's version. However, I can't say that I absolutely love it either. But Sean is right...like it or not, this is the new Enterprise. And I do have a feeling that it'll grow on me. I remember when I first saw a photo of the Enterprise-D in People Magazine before TNG premiered. Based on the picture I thought the new Enterprise was rather stupid-looking. Well, that attitude changed too.

And I CERTAINLY like it better than the NX-01. [Smile]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Vanguard
Member # 1780

quote:
That's what you're saying now, but you know that's not true.
To this day, I've never seen Nemesis. At this point, do you really think I will? Why would I go to a movie that, from everything I've heard and seen about it, is targeted to people that hate Star Trek?

If it had been any one single aspect, I could have overlooked it. But this movie has nothing redeeming in my eyes about it. You have 'Gay Magnet' angsty-teen Kirk, 'violently-angry' Spock, Star Fleet Slut Uhura, one of the most rediculous villians made - even including Nemesis... give me a break. I swear that the Trek fans 'looking forward' to this are in denial, or just thankful that it's just not dead quite yet, though they're supporting a product that damn well might kill Trek for good.

And, I thought the Enterprise-D looked like a drunk fish in 1989.. and I still think it looks like a drunk fish. [Razz]

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would've only been happy with a faithful reproduction of the original, but it's been pretty clear that we weren't going to get that. So, I'm neither shocked or disappointed. It's a ship that sort of resembles Enterprise.

I'm just going to keep telling myself: "IT'S JUST A MOVIE"

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in a hurry, so I'll just say that ship is fucking horible, and I'm going to cry.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My immediate response was that it was hideous, but I have a feeling it'll grow on me. At the very least, I'll get used to it. We're gonna be seeing it a hell of a lot.

The thing that pisses me off is that it'd actually look okay if it wasn't for the neck being so far back. I've read that it's supposed to be more structurally sound for it to be attached to the middle of the engineering hull, rather than at one end, but that doesn't mean it looks any good.

I would've preferred a Trials and Tribbleations style aztecing, but at least the detailing resembles some period of Trek's starship history, rather than being completely new. Overall it's a case of "it could have been worse".

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps