Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Mirror Universe (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Mirror Universe
Daystrom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Necromancer, you continue to fight with me.

Really now, its just not necessary, as Daystrom has "other" plans for you and the members this BB.

And they are purely benevolent.

Dont fight your friends, my friend. We wont hurt you here.

*smiles and extends hands, palms up*

I am Daystrom and I am your friend.

------------------
"I can't hold it! She's breaking up, she's breaking up!"

IP: Logged
Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well i accept this unholy alliance. j/k

I believe that many of the members will fall before you. Perhaps it is better that we be allies instead of being at odds with each other.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, in many parts of the world, it's a very nice day outside.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in a world of darkness.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who think trek "needs" a gay character, and use Trek's history of racial diversity as an example, you should first consider how that's going to be 'shown.'

I mean, it was pretty damned obvious to everybody that Uhura was Black, and Sulu was Asian, and nobody ever made an issue of it, and there was almost no focus at all on that aspect of their characters. They were simply 'humans.' Their parts could have been played by any person of any race, as could many other minority parts on Star Trek, except when the character's background becomes of some importance to plotlines (like Chekov's "Russian joke" Chakotay's Indian spirituality, or Janeway's Irish heritage.) And even then, had they been some other nationality, that could have been written around as well.

To put a gay character on would necessitate SHOWING everybody his/her 'gayness,' in an OBVIOUS format, (since gay folks are generally indistinguishable from everybody else) thus running contrary to Trek's history of ignoring human differences in favor of commonality. It would, instead, be making an issue out of it.

At least, that's what I think. I could be wrong.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Geordi gets new orders from the bridge, walks over to two engineers working on something, and says to one of them, "I'm going to need you to work late, Captain wants (insert tech here) finished in two hours." The engineer agrees, looks at the other and says, "So much for our dinner date."

Not that difficult.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but that's a throwaway line between two extras, not a character point in a major character. There's a difference. (Besides, having a dinner 'date' with someone of the same gender is not necessarily 'gay.')

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Daystrom
Ex-Member

I think gay characters could be portrayed on Trek without a big deal being made of it. There are other ways couples of any sexual orientation make the nature of their relationship known without actually "doing the deed" before your very eyes.

But it would have to be introduced one step at a time.
And probably with two females at first. Even as "liberal" as the times have become, for many the implication of two men going at it is a lot harder to stomach than two women.

But it could be done if someone with the guts to take a chance put their foot down.

But what are the chances.

------------------
"I can't hold it! She's breaking up, she's breaking up!"

Mythril
Member # 286

In many of the mirror universe episodes, you could tell by just listening to some of the dialoge That the indendant was bi, look at some of the scenes with Kira and the Intendant, and everbodies favorite scene with Ezri and the Intendant.

with those scenes they could play around with the female characters, and ratings soared. Fans are more accepting when it comes to lesbians than gay males. If those scenes were done with guys. Ratings would plumet so far down, and of couarse there would be protests from the major religions.

So i say that they leave well enough alone and dont try to do it.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the mirror universe stuff probably fits in quite nicely with the standard prejudices of the day.

"Look, bisexuals! And they're all so eeevil!"

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

why do the mirror universes always have to be bad?
why can't we have some honorable people in the other reality?

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are. They would be the ones who are bad in this universe. I would guess that the mirror Tholians, Breen, Gorn, etc. are really nice guys. 'Course, they've probably all been conquered by the Terran Empire or the Klingon-Cardassian Allinace by now.

------------------
Jackson: "Basically, he was the original Satan."
O'Neill: "Well, isn't that special?"
-Stargate SG-1: "Serpent's Song"

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently Gene Roddenberry wrote a TNG episode called "Blood and Fire" which dealt with gay characters and an AIDS-type virus. However, it was never made.

If you think about it, the Dax symbiont is bisexual.
It has had male and female lovers over the years, and Jadzia once kissed "her" ex-wife...

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, yes and no. To be fair, such a term really carries no meaning for the symbionts, which aren't even humanoid and certainly can't be squeezed into human gender roles.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't David Gerrold write "Fire and Ice" or whatever? And didn't he leave the show because it was never made?

The problem with the "So much for our dinner date scene described above", is that it's not serving the story. It's just there for the purposes of saying "LOOK! THEY'RE GAY!".

Name one instance in the history of Star Trek where we've had a similar throwaway scene between people of different races? For that matter, name a scene like that's occured between a man and a woman (who aren't main characters). It's never happened. Which is why doing it with two gays would stick out like a sore thumb and would only be their to highlight the fact that gays exist in the 24th century in an extremely intrusive manner.

But yes, I enjoyed Kira's leather trousers. Oh baby. Yeah. Ooh, look, there's a life outside of my bedroom. So I am going to go to the pub with my mates, where we shall sit and talk about nothing other than bisexual Kira all night.
(That would work better if you imagine me saying it in a flat tone of voice. Typing does no favours to sarcasm).

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."
Xander Harris

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps